Colorado Bar Exam Character Limit

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Gamecubesupreme

Re: Colorado Bar Exam Character Limit

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:23 pm

I'm a PA bar taker, but I support you TC.

If you feel you've been wronged, just sue. It's the American way.

Dostoevsky

Postby Dostoevsky » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:13 am

IDK, I've never been a gunner but I sure knew how to argue basic SMJ and Venue (and evidence) by the time I sat for the bar.

It is not a secret that the 5k character limit was on instructions issued (at least) three days before the exam.

I do not know how you prepped for the bar, but I drilled essays, concentrating on the time limit and training myself to do well within it.

I expected these nasty, discouraging comments (see OP), but I want to stress that I am looking for other Barbri students, in CO or other states, who were caught off guard by a character limit that they were not drilled for.
FWIW, the president told me that LA had a 3,200 (or similar?) limit - at the time I just said that I hoped that Barbri had prepared LA students with that in mind, but perhaps there is someone on TLS who prepped with BB for the LA exam who could tell me about their experience?

For the last time, I do appreciate you guys taking the time to craft an opinion on the situation. That is partially why I have asked a judge to do the same - because I think there is room to argue. I don't need to explain why I had to stay in CA to see this through: For starters, it is where I lived through law school (and so will continue to live until I am able to move), and it is where I contracted for the service, online. It didn't make sense to move to CO (esp after that bar experience) before seeing the issue through (which I hoped would happen immediately following bar results - but BB wanted it continued to the end of November.)

I am amazed at the criticism. I guess your critical thinking was more honed than mine in LS. Good job. Roast me all you want. I am still curious about whether there is anyone else who was in a similar boat, in Colorado or otherwise, preferably with Barbri.

Less than two weeks to go for CO results :)

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:54 am

How did you get through 3 years of law school and not understand how litigation actually works?

Dostoevsky

Postby Dostoevsky » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:37 pm

Thank you for your appraisal. Good luck with the Bar.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:11 pm

All of my friends who took BarBri (including females) thought the president was a super nice guy and very approachable and wanted everyone to do well.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:43 pm

A lot of the "criticism" here isn't really to be mean - it's genuine advice. Litigation is really, really slow. Do you ever notice the dates, when you're doing research and you pull up different stages of the same case? And Barbri is a large company with a team of people it pays full time to draw up contracts and bat down people like you. It sounds like you're putting off starting your career for this, and I don't know if you're also paying a lawyer, but either way Barbri is going to draw this out as long as possible and bleed you dry. It'll be easy. None of this is to say Barbri wasn't in the wrong. They very clearly were. It's appalling. But life isn't fair, and litigation isn't fair, and this is going to go really badly for you. I just think that's where some, admittedly probably not all, of this seemingly snarky feedback is coming from.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:20 am

Yes. I was trying to make a point with my posts in this thread. It sounds like a personal attack and I was meaner than usual,but I feel strongly you are on the wrong track.

What exactly are your causes of action here? And what about your mitigation of damages?

If you pass, I can't see your claim. If you fail, I think the fact the limits are publicly available and that you were aware of them, kills your case. Also, if you fail on the multistate, your essays aren't relevant.

Even if you win, I can't see you getting more than a free course out of this. Under the bar to contract, you probably can get a free course anyway if you fail.

Just seems like a huge waste of time. Your lost wages claim, I don't see that going anywhere either.

But who knows, find a few more upset people and maybe you'll find another claim to bring based on reliance or something. Sounds sketch to me but I'm not a plaintiffs lawyer.

Dostoevsky

Postby Dostoevsky » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:17 pm

Thank you for your feedback, honestly.

One of my concerns is I would like Barbri to be on notice that they cannot omit major format requirements from their prep materials.
I'm not sure how to address that other than in court.

A personal concern is the offhanded manner that my concern was handled with. Law students are their bread and butter, and while law firms simply hand over thousands of dollars for the prep, Barbri needs to be accountable for the relevance of that prep, IMHO.

Damages? Well, who knows. I'm not able to leave the state until the suit is over, because I see things through. Obviously I am working, but not as a lawyer (which I should be able to do from October 10th until whenever the hearing occurs. I did have CO options.)

But seriously, you think it is OK that Barbri told me that "this is the essay that you should produce within time constraints" - and then it is 20% over the limit?

Sure, refund of course fees. That seems quite obvious. There were some other issues that I'm not airing on a public forum.
More importantly, don't you think that future law students should be able to make an informed decision based on actual experiences with Barbri out of state? I would have really benefitted from knowing that this happened to someone.

Sure, I could have been proactive for three days (when on notice about char limit). I could have left my computer at home and handwritten and NOT run out of space, twice. I do feel that some of my choice in the matter was clouded by my reliance on "the best bar review in the country." That is all.

Thank you, again, for your insights and if anyone had the same issue, please do PM or post.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:19 pm

Passed, did the gunner pass?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:05 pm

Bikeflip wrote:Passed, did the gunner pass?

Probably

It always irks me when some nuerotic rando co-opts the name of an author or scholar that I like

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Borhas wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:Passed, did the gunner pass?

Probably

It always irks me when some nuerotic rando co-opts the name of an author or scholar that I like

She'll be the one trying to serve someone for fraud on the 4th.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”