(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:08 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

odoylerulez

Re: Be glad you don't have this professor

Postby odoylerulez » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:35 pm

lol penn

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:03 pm

:shock:

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:06 pm

kay2016 wrote::shock:

precisely my reaction when i saw the prof dropping words like "reasonable" and "unreasonable" in the syllabus

i am done. and to think penn was on my short list of schools to attend at one point.. may have dodged a bullet there.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:08 pm

kay2016 wrote::shock:

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:27 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dogg

Postby Dogg » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:33 pm

what did I just read :shock:

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:35 pm

odoylerulez wrote:
i am done. and to think penn was on my short list of schools to attend at one point.. may have dodged a bullet there.

Choosing law schools based on faculty is like choosing cars by the colors of paint they have available.

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:37 pm

hibiki wrote:
odoylerulez wrote:

Choosing law schools based on faculty is like choosing cars by the colors of paint they have available.

So I shouldn't get a smart car just so I can have it in ANY color?!?!?!?! :lol:

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:07 pm

any Prof. that provides incentives for voluntary participation is a d bag

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:07 pm

hibiki wrote:
odoylerulez wrote:

Why would I choose a car based on the color of paint that a law school has available?

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:08 pm

atcushman wrote:any Prof. that provides incentives for voluntary participation is a d bag

Agreed, with the assumption that it's a grading incentive.

If the incentive is a pizza party or something flamboyant like that, by all means go for it professors

hopelessoptimist

Postby hopelessoptimist » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:40 pm

ajax adonis wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2013/09/new-law-professor-devises-grading-system-bewildering-to-children-annoying-to-adults/

Dude sounds like an egghead.

Anyone, by any chance, have this guy?

WTF is this? "discretion inhering in the word 'might'"?

I actually do have this guy and the article is very unfair to him. Yes he's inexperienced and personally I'm far from being his biggest fan. He has made a concerted effort to adapt his teaching style to something that fits the class, however, and while it has been rough, the article gives literally 0 context of how the class actually runs, and it's not nearly as bad as the article makes it sound. And remember, this is coming from a student who doesn't even like him.

Plus, regardless of the merits of the arguments made in the article concerning his teaching style, it was completely inappropriate for a student to forward the email to ATL for the sole purpose of having our prof ridiculed, in the mean time only making our school (which ATL still holds as the best school for career prospects and the NLJ ranks #1 for employment as well) look much worse than it is. This says more about the jackass student who submitted it to ATL than it does about the prof, and any student who crosses off a school like Penn from their list because of one "bad" prof is too short-sighted anyway. Good luck finding another school where not a single faculty member is disliked by at least some proportion of the student population.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:28 pm

hopelessoptimist wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2013/09/new-law-professor-devises-grading-system-bewildering-to-children-annoying-to-adults/

I actually do have this guy and the article is very unfair to him. Yes he's inexperienced and personally I'm far from being his biggest fan. He has made a concerted effort to adapt his teaching style to something that fits the class, however, and while it has been rough, the article gives literally 0 context of how the class actually runs, and it's not nearly as bad as the article makes it sound. And remember, this is coming from a student who doesn't even like him.

Plus, regardless of the merits of the arguments made in the article concerning his teaching style, it was completely inappropriate for a student to forward the email to ATL for the sole purpose of having our prof ridiculed, in the mean time only making our school (which ATL still holds as the best school for career prospects and the NLJ ranks #1 for employment as well) look much worse than it is. This says more about the jackass student who submitted it to ATL than it does about the prof, and any student who crosses off a school like Penn from their list because of one "bad" prof is too short-sighted anyway. Good luck finding another school where not a single faculty member is disliked by at least some proportion of the student population.

Butthurt - but fair points.

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:22 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:32 pm

ajax adonis wrote:Eh, can you still admit that it was probably a mistake for Penn to hire him fresh out of LS?

It's not like clerking and/or practicing in biglaw for 1-2 years would teach him anything more about how to write a syllabus. Plus he earned his Ph.D. in 1998 and was economics faculty at two different universities for 12 years. (I actually think the problem is that he tried to make his course more like non-law grad school courses - it's not a crazy syllabus for a non-law setting, and a lot of the way law school is set up would be anathema for non-law higher ed settings, but 1L courses are probably not the place to try to shake up law school pedagogy.)

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:42 pm

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:42 pm

ajax adonis wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:Eh, can you still admit that it was probably a mistake for Penn to hire him fresh out of LS?

It's not like clerking and/or practicing in biglaw for 1-2 years would teach him anything more about how to write a syllabus. Plus he earned his Ph.D. in 1998 and was economics faculty at two different universities for 12 years. (I actually think the problem is that he tried to make his course more like non-law grad school courses - it's not a crazy syllabus for a non-law setting, and a lot of the way law school is set up would be anathema for non-law higher ed settings, but 1L courses are probably not the place to try to shake up law school pedagogy.)

Hm, true.

I mean, generally speaking, I'd agree it's not the best idea. :D

thewaves

Postby thewaves » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Has he ever heard of being concise and clear? I'd run. Fast.

hopelessoptimist

Postby hopelessoptimist » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:24 am

thewaves wrote:Has he ever heard of being concise and clear? I'd run. Fast.

Trust me, if i had a choice, I would switch to a different section's Civ Pro class in a heartbeat. But alas, I am but a mere 1L sheep. As if Civ Pro wasn't already a bitch of a topic.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:44 am

what kind of fuckass uses the word 'inhering'

we as English speakers communally agreed to use the Anglicized Latin form: inherent. Not inhering you fuckass.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:49 am

ajax adonis wrote:
hopelessoptimist wrote:

Eh, can you still admit that it was probably a mistake for Penn to hire him fresh out of LS?

Fresh out of LS, doesn't mean not qualified... People have varying levels of experience before law school even starts. In this case, I believe he was a tenured economics professor with a phd before ever attending YLS.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”