Common vs MPC exams

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Common vs MPC exams

Postby Easy-E » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:18 pm

Based on my crim professors previous exams, the topic common law vs MPC seems to be the order. Does it make sense to start integrating this into my notes now? For example, just wrapped up strict liabilty. Good idea to make two columns, and start organizing the differences (or similarities) between the two now? Or am I just going to screw myself if she decides to change it up this year? Doesn't seem likely, as MPC seems to still be big with her. Sorry if this is a stupid question, that's kinda all I have.

Shit, left out "law" in the title. Too tired.

Re: Common vs MPC exams

Postby 5ky » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:35 am

I don't fully understand your question, but you should know the differences between the common law approach and the MPC for various crimes, yes.

If a question is ambiguous, you should analyze it under both standards -- 1 heading for common law analysis, and 1 for MPC.

Re: Common vs MPC exams

Postby bk1 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:50 am

Ask your prof. Some profs want you to know just the MPC. Some want you to know whatever the majority rule happens to be. Some want you to know both the majority and minority rule. Some want you to know the majority and minority rule, and be able to tell which one is the majority and which is the minority. Some might want you to know rules from 3 or more jurisdictions (counting the MPC as a jurisdiction to itself). It's not so much knowing how they differ so much as knowing what the rule is for each.

How you should answer a question on the exam hinges on what your prof expects you to know on the exam. If they expect you to analyze something under every standard you've learned, then do that. If they expect you to analyze something only under the MPC, then do that. Etc, etc.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”