TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stillwater

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby stillwater » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:50 pm

thesealocust wrote:On a closed book exam, the curve is going to save you, not the professor's expectations. They can want citations and good analysis all day and all night, they know well that having the exam be closed book will lower the average quality of exams for all kinds of reasons (not just restatement number application vel non)

Think of it as an opportunity to stand out 8)

agree with this sentiment. i love closed book; i see it as a huge opportunity to crush the competition

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:55 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:57 pm

i look at the rest of my class as the bodies necessary to establish a curve over which I can lord.

North

Postby North » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:58 pm

Dolphine wrote:ugh....im not feeling well today, worried im getting sick, now is not the time...i cant get sick...

Hit up a sketchy walk in clinic ASAP. Don't leave without antibiotics. Back in the day I felt like I was getting a cold before the LSAT (nopenope), and that's what I did. Felt 100% within 24 hours.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:00 pm

North wrote:
Dolphine wrote:ugh....im not feeling well today, worried im getting sick, now is not the time...i cant get sick...

Hit up a sketchy walk in clinic ASAP. Don't leave without antibiotics. Back in the day I felt like I was getting a cold before the LSAT (nopenope), and that's what I did. Felt 100% within 24 hours.

also, overnight shipments from mexican online pharmacies or dudes that provide tax advice/medical care out of the trunks of cars.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:58 am

New day, ready to get rolling on K's and oh what the fuck I have 3 classes.

North

Postby North » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:03 am

emarxnj wrote:New day, ready to get rolling on K's and oh what the fuck I have 3 classes.

:lol:

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:07 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:22 pm

In one of the many, many hours that you're not working, it eventually dawns on you that you are actively wrecking your future.

This is a very strange feeling the first time.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:28 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:In one of the many, many hours that you're not working, it eventually dawns on you that you are actively wrecking your future.

You gotta chill with that shit man.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:28 pm

I'm concerned because I haven't started freaking out yet about having my first final on Thursday (Civ Pro).

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:12 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:In one of the many, many hours that you're not working, it eventually dawns on you that you are actively wrecking your future.

im gonna send a life coach up to morningside heights chromedoutbro. its just law school. clear mind + steady hand = curve-beating boss.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:15 pm

stillwater wrote:im gonna send a life coach up to morningside heights chromedoutbro. its just law school. clear mind + steady hand = curve-beating boss.

CLEAR EYES, FULL HEART, CAN'T FINISH BELOW MEDIAN.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:17 pm

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:24 pm

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:47 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:52 pm

KD35 wrote:I'm concerned because I haven't started freaking out yet about having my first final on Thursday (Civ Pro).

That's kind of how I've felt all semester. I've had a couple stress periods but mostly I have felt more or less like my normal chill self. I honestly have no idea at this point whether I understand the material and therefore have not had any alarms going off in my head, or if I'm actually incapable of being alarmed and that's why I haven't done anything even approaching grinding--I've probably been spending 30 hours a week on average between class and homework. Like I said, I feel like I understand everything (though I may panic hardcore when I start doing timed practice exams on Friday), but maybe I'm just a huge slacker who has convinced myself that I'm intelligent, and that worries me a bit.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redsox550

Postby redsox550 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:09 pm

stillwater wrote:

im gonna send a life coach up to morningside heights chromedoutbro. its just law school. clear mind + steady hand = curve-beating boss.

While I agree with this, and everyone knows a clear mind is necessary to do well, some people are motivated by fear in a good way. I believe fear motivated me to not waste time my first semester of 1L which led to me being happy with the results. Then, semester 2, the fear disappeared because of the previous semesters success and I wasted more time, cared less, and did worse. Basically if fear helps you, if thinking about the importance of being productive helps, then I say put this quote "In one of the many, many hours that you're not working, it eventually dawns on you that you are actively wrecking your future." on your freakin desktop and be SCARED. While for others that fear may hinder their studying and they need to try and chill

redsox550

Postby redsox550 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:15 pm

sublime wrote:I posted this in the other thread, but I am kinda curious if anyone (particularly Stillwater, TSL, and BrotherDarkness, and I don't know how often they actually look at the other thread, have any thoughts.

Does anyone have tips for organizing exams? Particularly in torts and K's (and prop to a lesser extent). I feel like I am struggling to organize and it just becomes me spouting whatever shit I think is kind of relevant. Having the biggest problem with negligence claims in torts, especially when there is more than one actor and a superceding cause is involved. As an example, the last one I took basically had a company not disposing of a dangerous chemical properly, then the person who was supposed to dispose of it keeping it (hurting himself and his life partner) and selling it and hurting other people.

What is the best way to organize something like that?

My advice: depending on the proffesor you can do exceptionally well by spewing shit out. like literally a total dump of thoughts and analysis. if the prof uses a checklist and doesnt deduct any points for wrong info, then just fucking dump all over that exam. that is, if you think that you will be able to hit more issues that way. I basically wrote 7,000 words for a few of my exams, repeated myself many times, never really looked back at what i was writing, and just went balls to the wall making sure i hit eveyr issue. if i though i didnt hit an issue yet, i didnt look back , i just wrote it again. if i thought of an issue i didnt think is this good enough, i just wrote it. this method togetehr with fast typing speed allowed me to hit the large majority of issues in many classes. You should though seperate your paragraphs and issues and try and use headers. But make sure your prof is ok with this method, most are. (a million typos on this comment, just like how my exam looked, but too lazy to fix)

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:23 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:I think it has been said a few times already, but being calm is a good thing. I have an apathetic demeanor and, though I take school seriously, I'm not prone to freak-outs. Not panicking is not a sign that you're unprepared (or underprepared, whatever). Even if you know your shit backwards and forwards, if you panic and lock up on the exam, you're fucked. Embrace the calm and avoid the people who are always freaking out about everything.

Thanks breh. I know it's been repeated, but it just seems weird to me that everything I heard about law school was "no free time, studying 8-12 hours a day, tons of stress, gunners rocking back and forth in the hallways the week before finals," and some of that was true for a lot of people, and to me it's felt like a part-time job.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:34 pm

is it really bad that i often dont start any studying till 12 or 1pm? I work till 10 or 11 though (with breaks for food etc obviously). its just that i like to get enough sleep and i also need to work out. if i dont work out, my body hurts, i get grumpy etc so i usually do those things in the morning then study.... i just feel pressure to wake up and study right away

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:36 pm

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:25 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
AlanShore wrote:is it really bad that i often dont start any studying till 12 or 1pm? I work till 10 or 11 though (with breaks for food etc obviously). its just that i like to get enough sleep and i also need to work out. if i dont work out, my body hurts, i get grumpy etc so i usually do those things in the morning then study.... i just feel pressure to wake up and study right away

I just got to school a little bit ago (also hit the gym in the morning). If you put in the hours, it doesn't matter what time of day (or night) you work. There's no face time requirement in law school.

(misleads you with Pacific Time)

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”