TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby brotherdarkness » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:58 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby thesealocust » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:58 pm

You aren't even a 1L :P

User avatar
cynthia rose
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:42 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby cynthia rose » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:48 am

"Today is rule 37

I don't think I care anymore."

WELL THAT IS SUCH A BIG HELP FOR MY OUTLINE, SELF. I'M *SO* GLAD TO KNOW HOW INVESTED YOU WERE THAT DAY IN MAKING SURE FUTURE SELF WOULD BE CONFIDENT AND WELL-PREPARED FOR HER CIV PRO FINAL.

no, seriously, it's like an internet rat snuck into my computer and ate 75% of my discovery notes, leaving me with all these big ass gaping holes between the first part of rule 26 and summary judgment. i literally have no mention of rule 37 in my notes except for one line in an unfinished parody of an Amy Winehouse song. i have a page titled "rules 33 & 34" but i only see notes on rule 34. wtf.

one of my friends is in the hospital b/c she was having specific thoughts and her therapist decided they should hold her overnight, and now i cannot even focus on this practice essay that is due by noon tomorrow b/c i'm waiting on her to call me back and let me know what room they've put her in so i can go sit with her (and take her a laptop so she can also do some work). i have clinical depression too and am also just now realizing how empathic i really am, b/c after a solid two months of having no episodes my friend's phone call has me suddenly feeling like i'm drowning in one. i hate everything and want to literally throw someone under a bus. maybe myself. why is law school doing this to us?

now hopping in a DeLorean and going back to whatever day rule 37 was to bitch slap self. sigh.

fuck me, i'm lost at sea at this point, but at least tell me it will be okay for my friend.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby thesealocust » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:51 am

It will be O.K. :)

User avatar
cynthia rose
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:42 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby cynthia rose » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:45 am

thesealocust wrote:It will be O.K. :)

i'm not sure i believe you, but i'm going to have to if i want to finish this essay, so ok, if you say so :p

User avatar
boredtodeath
Posts: 632
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby boredtodeath » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:14 am

sublime wrote:
slackademic wrote:My biggest reward/release has been basketball. Even though I'm playing with other law students a lot of the time, at least we're all focusing intently on something that isn't law school.

edit: but even that I've been staying away from. just too much stuff to do.


Yea, I like playing basketball, I just don't really know where to play and can't imagine spending more time than required around these people.


The only way I keep my sanity is by lifting for an hour a day.

If I could stop excessively procrastinating while reading/outlining/memo-ing I would have a solid 2-3 more hours in my day to do whatever I wanted. I literally waste that much time every day dicking around on the Internet or my phone, shitting, or eating.

ETA: Look I'm up at 2 am! I've written two paragraphs in my memo since 9 pm!

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby nickb285 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:55 am

boredtodeath wrote:If I could stop excessively procrastinating while reading/outlining/memo-ing I would have a solid 2-3 more hours in my day to do whatever I wanted. I literally waste that much time every day dicking around on the Internet or my phone, shitting, or eating.


Yeah, same. "Hmmm, I could take notes on this case, or I could see if there's anything new on Facebook, TLS, Cracked, Google News, or email in the last five minutes."

And Cynthia, talk to your therapist if you have one, or see if you can find some kind of outpatient thing in your city if you don't. School's important, but not important enough to ignore it if you're having a depressive or suicidal episode. Much better for you to take a couple hours off studying and get feeling a bit more stable than to just hope it goes away.

Your friend will be okay. I've had to visit friends in those kinds of places before, and it's always kind of scary--whether they went themselves or I or another friend took them or their therapist told them to go, it's easy to spend the whole day worrying about them and hoping they're okay. But the reason that they're at that place is because they're getting help from people who know what they're doing. It's unfortunate that she (and you) have to deal with depression and suicidal thoughts, but getting help is the best thing either of you can do. I know "don't worry" is a lot easier said than done, but she is getting help and she will be okay.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby Easy-E » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:21 pm

boredtodeath wrote:
sublime wrote:
slackademic wrote:My biggest reward/release has been basketball. Even though I'm playing with other law students a lot of the time, at least we're all focusing intently on something that isn't law school.

edit: but even that I've been staying away from. just too much stuff to do.


Yea, I like playing basketball, I just don't really know where to play and can't imagine spending more time than required around these people.


The only way I keep my sanity is by lifting for an hour a day.

If I could stop excessively procrastinating while reading/outlining/memo-ing I would have a solid 2-3 more hours in my day to do whatever I wanted. I literally waste that much time every day dicking around on the Internet or my phone, shitting, or eating.

ETA: Look I'm up at 2 am! I've written two paragraphs in my memo since 9 pm!



Don't feel bad, I've still got a whole statute to cover in my memo, plus all my shitty citations, plus somehow figuring out how to write in this stupid-ass style that somehow assumes every reader can't refer back to a sentence, and I will likely be up until god knows what hour writing a shitty B- at best memo. Oh wait, now I feel bad. I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue.


Also, does anyone have a good system for reviewing your memo? I feel like the basic instruction we got was "make sure you double-check everything, including things you would have no idea you needed to check to begin with". I keep fucking up passive voice too.

User avatar
cynthia rose
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:42 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby cynthia rose » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:59 pm

nickb285 wrote:
boredtodeath wrote:If I could stop excessively procrastinating while reading/outlining/memo-ing I would have a solid 2-3 more hours in my day to do whatever I wanted. I literally waste that much time every day dicking around on the Internet or my phone, shitting, or eating.


Yeah, same. "Hmmm, I could take notes on this case, or I could see if there's anything new on Facebook, TLS, Cracked, Google News, or email in the last five minutes."

And Cynthia, talk to your therapist if you have one, or see if you can find some kind of outpatient thing in your city if you don't. School's important, but not important enough to ignore it if you're having a depressive or suicidal episode. Much better for you to take a couple hours off studying and get feeling a bit more stable than to just hope it goes away.

Your friend will be okay. I've had to visit friends in those kinds of places before, and it's always kind of scary--whether they went themselves or I or another friend took them or their therapist told them to go, it's easy to spend the whole day worrying about them and hoping they're okay. But the reason that they're at that place is because they're getting help from people who know what they're doing. It's unfortunate that she (and you) have to deal with depression and suicidal thoughts, but getting help is the best thing either of you can do. I know "don't worry" is a lot easier said than done, but she is getting help and she will be okay.

Yeah, I had been putting it off b/c I'm "busy" (aka wrapped up in school and some family stuff), and b/c the few depressive moments I have had earlier this year haven't been really bad and only lasted a day or two at most, but I should really stop delaying. I'm ambivalent about going back on medication (and now it wouldn't even be helpful b/c by the time they kicked in finals would be over) but that might be necessary in the long run. It's so hard to accept that I am not in control and cannot do anything for my friend right now, but I guess letting go would also be part of the therapy process.

Concurred on the procrastinating. for me it's pretty much borne out of a fear that the second I try to do something of consequence I'll screw it up. So I go stay on the internet, b/c laughing at memes is foolproof.
emarxnj wrote:Also, does anyone have a good system for reviewing your memo? I feel like the basic instruction we got was "make sure you double-check everything, including things you would have no idea you needed to check to begin with". I keep fucking up passive voice too.

Passive voice - my lrw professor said the best way to check for it is to say "by zombies" immediately after every verb. If it makes sense then you have passive voice and need to change it. Ex. - "The ruling was upheld [by zombies] because..." vs. "The court upheld [by zombies] the ruling because..." The first one makes sense, the second one doesn't.

I rarely have a problem with passive voice but I thought that was a somewhat entertaining little trick. Bonus, it actually made me slow down and read each sentence so I did a proper job of proofreading.

Will PM you after lunch about a memo checklist. Our LRW professors gave us the grading guideline and points metric they will be using to evaluate the memos.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby nickb285 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:07 pm

cynthia rose wrote:Yeah, I had been putting it off b/c I'm "busy" (aka wrapped up in school and some family stuff), and b/c the few depressive moments I have had earlier this year haven't been really bad and only lasted a day or two at most, but I should really stop delaying. I'm ambivalent about going back on medication (and now it wouldn't even be helpful b/c by the time they kicked in finals would be over) but that might be necessary in the long run. It's so hard to accept that I am not in control and cannot do anything for my friend right now, but I guess letting go would also be part of the therapy process.


I get being ambivalent about meds, but I've seen them do some incredibly positive things. Might not hurt to get on them now, then sort of evaluate over the break, and if they're working it'll be easier to start off next semester right. If nothing else, keeping with therapy is a good idea with something as stressful as lawl school.

Totally get the lack of control thing. My own occasionally obsessive worrying about my friends stressed me out and started to piss them off. Had to learn to deal with the anxiety in other ways, while still being there for my friends if they need me. It's tough to do, but it's better for everyone in the long run. Do what you can, support your friend in any way you can, but try not to obsess about things you can't change.

cynthia rose wrote:Passive voice - my lrw professor said the best way to check for it is to say "by zombies" immediately after every verb. If it makes sense then you have passive voice and need to change it. Ex. - "The ruling was upheld [by zombies] because..." vs. "The court upheld [by zombies] the ruling because..." The first one makes sense, the second one doesn't.


This is awesome.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby JazzOne » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:05 pm

Just for the record, passive voice isn't always bad. It is easier for a reader to interpret a sentence that begins with familiar information rather than unfamiliar information. The example above can illustrate my point.

"The ruling was upheld by . . . " This articulation would be particularly appropriate if the preceding sentence stated the ruling. In that case, the current sentence begins with what the reader just learned (the ruling) and then adds new information (was upheld by . . .).

"The court upheld the ruling because . . ." This articulation would be more appropriate if the preceding sentence indicated which court heard the appeal. In that instance, the reader would already know what "court" we were talking about, and then the sentence adds the information that the court "upheld the ruling because . . ."

There are undoubtedly many contexts in which either articulation is appropriate. Passive voice isn't inherently bad though. Sometimes, passive voice can greatly enhance the readability of an essay by presenting information in a friendly order (known to unknown, or old to new). An essay that consistently begins sentences with new information will not flow well. On the other hand, beginning sentences with familiar information creates anchors on which the reader can hang new information as he progresses through the sentence.

Source: The Craft of Research by Booth, Colomb, and Williams

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby Easy-E » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:49 pm

cynthia rose wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Also, does anyone have a good system for reviewing your memo? I feel like the basic instruction we got was "make sure you double-check everything, including things you would have no idea you needed to check to begin with". I keep fucking up passive voice too.

Passive voice - my lrw professor said the best way to check for it is to say "by zombies" immediately after every verb. If it makes sense then you have passive voice and need to change it. Ex. - "The ruling was upheld [by zombies] because..." vs. "The court upheld [by zombies] the ruling because..." The first one makes sense, the second one doesn't.

I rarely have a problem with passive voice but I thought that was a somewhat entertaining little trick. Bonus, it actually made me slow down and read each sentence so I did a proper job of proofreading.

Will PM you after lunch about a memo checklist. Our LRW professors gave us the grading guideline and points metric they will be using to evaluate the memos.


I have a real issue with it, not sure why. That's a pretty great trick, I wish my professor wasn't so into the smoke and mirrors approach. That checklist sounds awesome, thanks a ton.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby Easy-E » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:07 pm

JazzOne wrote:Just for the record, passive voice isn't always bad. It is easier for a reader to interpret a sentence that begins with familiar information rather than unfamiliar information. The example above can illustrate my point.

"The ruling was upheld by . . . " This articulation would be particularly appropriate if the preceding sentence stated the ruling. In that case, the current sentence begins with what the reader just learned (the ruling) and then adds new information (was upheld by . . .).


I will need to review my first memo, but I feel like if I wrote this sentence (which I think I naturally would), my professor's note would be "what ruling? be specific" even if that ruling is in the sentence immediately prior. I find it incredibly frustrating.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby JazzOne » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:36 pm

emarxnj wrote:
JazzOne wrote:Just for the record, passive voice isn't always bad. It is easier for a reader to interpret a sentence that begins with familiar information rather than unfamiliar information. The example above can illustrate my point.

"The ruling was upheld by . . . " This articulation would be particularly appropriate if the preceding sentence stated the ruling. In that case, the current sentence begins with what the reader just learned (the ruling) and then adds new information (was upheld by . . .).


You can be more specific even with the passive voice.

"The trial court's ruling was upheld by . . ."
"The ruling in favor of plaintiff's motion for summary judgment was upheld by . . ."
"The ruling of the trial court-which found the plaintiff liable for damages in the amount of $4,000-was upheld by . . ."
"The trial court excluded the evidence as inadmissible; this ruling was upheld by . . ."
Ec.

User avatar
cynthia rose
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:42 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby cynthia rose » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:19 pm

It wasn't an issue of specificity for us. Our teachers just really hate passive! If there's even one passive sentence they will pounce on it. I don't think it's always bad, but I notice that if I'm trying too hard I default to passive in an attempt to sound scholarly, and I think that stiff, unnecessary verbosity is the thing they're really trying to beat out of us. They also didn't like unnecessary actors - "The court would likely rule that there was negligence" would be redlined for "There was likely negligence."

I went on a hugging spree today. The section 1 people probably though I'd lost my damn mind lol. My section 3 peeps understood though, they know I'm nuts and they're okay with that. I think section 2 was just amused. They're a funny bunch, the ones that I actually know anyway. I have doubts that section 2 actually exists sometimes.

In semi-related news, my friend is ok :) but mental healthcare in this nation sucks ass you guys. I apparently went into the wrong profession b/c someone needs to teach these people bedside manners.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby nickb285 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:12 pm

cynthia rose wrote:In semi-related news, my friend is ok :) but mental healthcare in this nation sucks ass you guys. I apparently went into the wrong profession b/c someone needs to teach these people bedside manners.


Yay! Glad to hear she's alright. But yeah, you're not incorrect--it seems like there's just a huge division between therapists and the people who work in mental health facilities. Dunno why.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby Br3v » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:19 pm

When should we have the law down cold? Is that a up to the last day thing? Obviously one would want to have it pretty much down in time to do practice tests, but are you still fine tuning your knowledge of the intracies up till exam day or at that point should the only fine tuning you be doing is issue spoting?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby thesealocust » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:38 am

You don't have to be done until the proctor tells you to "go" on the exam.

Y'all will be fine <3

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:43 am

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Merylian
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:46 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby Merylian » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:27 am

Take home exams: Actually take them home, or just take them to the library? Going home to snacks and pajama pants is attractive, but I worry I will regret the time in transit and in parking. Also worried I'll get super distracted at home, but that the library will be a hive of stress and panic.

Hugs to fellow 1Ls who are having a rough time right now...we'll get through this guys!

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby Easy-E » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:47 am

On the verge of literally re-writing half my memo that's due in an hour. Stayed up till 3AM and this thing a piece of shit. Ugh. Just wanna hand it in and be done with it.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:57 am

emarxnj wrote:On the verge of literally re-writing half my memo that's due in an hour. Stayed up till 3AM and this thing a piece of shit. Ugh. Just wanna hand it in and be done with it.

Damn, you've been stressing hard about that memo.

My lowest grade first semester was in LRW. I was really disappointed, but in retrospect, I realize that the pedagogy of most LRW classes is deeply flawed. The instructors of those classes are usually junior professors or adjuncts. Very few of them specialize in "legal writing" or "writing education." Their research interests typically lie elsewhere, and they are less than enthusiastic about teaching LRW.

I don't know your situation specifically, but I think the memo frustrates a lot of 1Ls because LRW is taught ineffectively.

Pro tip: Find a good Bryan Garner book or some other resource on memo/brief writing, and teach yourself LRW. It's the most important thing you'll learn in law school, and if your experience is like mine, you won't get enough feedback from your professors to really perfect legal writing. It's something you need to work on independently.
Last edited by JazzOne on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby thesealocust » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:58 am

Don't stress too hard about things like transit time on a take home exam - it won't be the make or break. Give yourself plenty of time if you have a commute or anything though.

Hugs to all. Y'all got this.

To quote Han Solo:

You're all clear kid - now let's blow this thing and go home!

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby Easy-E » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:38 pm

JazzOne wrote:
emarxnj wrote:On the verge of literally re-writing half my memo that's due in an hour. Stayed up till 3AM and this thing a piece of shit. Ugh. Just wanna hand it in and be done with it.

Damn, you've been stressing hard about that memo.

My lowest grade first semester was in LRW. I was really disappointed, but in retrospect, I realize that the pedagogy of most LRW classes is deeply flawed. The instructors of those classes are usually junior professors or adjuncts. Very few of them specialize in "legal writing" or "writing education." Their research interests typically lie elsewhere, and they are less than enthusiastic about teaching LRW.

I don't know your situation specifically, but I think the memo frustrates a lot of 1Ls because LRW is taught ineffectively.

Pro tip: Find a good Bryan Garner book or some other resource on memo/brief writing, and teach yourself LRW. It's the most important thing you'll learn in law school, and if you're experience is like mine, you won't get enough feedback from your professors to really perfect legal writing. It's something you need to work on independently.


One of the books our professor actually prescribed seems pretty good, but I've only ever glanced at it. I talked to some other classmates and I feel a bit better about mine. I agree about inefficient teaching methods though, we were basically thrown into statutes, given different information from every TA, and almost everyone's came out different.

I feel better now just handing it in. I'm actually a bit excited to not have to do any LRW for a while and get to commit that time to my outlines/practice exams.

User avatar
espressocream
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:51 am

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby espressocream » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:12 pm

I have a little over a week until my first exam. Outlines are not finished. Maybe have done a few practice questions from each class (MC in the supplements...)

:shock:




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412 and 8 guests