TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 10981
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:08 pm

desiballa21 wrote:how many days y'all getting for your final memos?


3 hours till its due. I think it was about 3 weeks total.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15411
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby sublime » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:09 pm

..
Last edited by sublime on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22836
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:26 pm

Birdnals wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:But the thing is, if you have a contract, it's by definition not at-will employment.


This isn't true, employment contracts presume at-will and the at-will rule can be contracted around. You probably don't have to worry about this until you take employment law but didn't want you saying something like this on an exam. :wink:

Well, it's been a while since I took employment law :P , so I put that badly. I'm thinking of the implied contract exception, so my comment isn't helpful - ignore me!

User avatar
kay2016
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 am

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby kay2016 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:38 pm

desiballa21 wrote:how many days y'all getting for your final memos?


We got our draft back the 6th, final is due Tuesday.

User avatar
desiballa21
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby desiballa21 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:39 pm

sublime wrote::lol: Merkin. I am about to say fuck it, regardless of quality.

desiballa21 wrote:how many days y'all getting for your final memos?


Idk, we had maybe like 2-3 weeks? We had a draft due Monday and the final draft due in less than 3 hours.


ETA: Scooped by Merkin, same section.


fuck, really? they gave us 10 days total. it's due on monday

AND that's with no sort of draft or anything.. got the assignment, facts on friday and final memo due 10 days from then.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15411
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby sublime » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:40 pm

..

User avatar
desiballa21
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby desiballa21 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:41 pm

yep, graded.

arklaw13
Posts: 1704
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby arklaw13 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:51 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Birdnals wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:But the thing is, if you have a contract, it's by definition not at-will employment.


This isn't true, employment contracts presume at-will and the at-will rule can be contracted around. You probably don't have to worry about this until you take employment law but didn't want you saying something like this on an exam. :wink:

Well, it's been a while since I took employment law :P , so I put that badly. I'm thinking of the implied contract exception, so my comment isn't helpful - ignore me!


Yeah I was gonna say employment at-will is still a bilateral agreement - promise for performance. Even me telling the neighbor kid I'll pay him $20 to mow my lawn every month is a contract and that's employment at will. I can fire him at any time, but I still have to pay him if I let him mow my lawn.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby thesealocust » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:17 pm

Gunners.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:21 pm

Is anyone else super-behind all their classmates? And does anyone else feel like worrying about the implications of not understanding the material is a bigger mindfuck than actually not understanding the material? And is anyone else's life just generally a never-ending carcinogenic shitbomb?

I think I've finally figured out law school. It's Homer jumping the Springfield Gorge. At first it looks like you have a lot of momentum, then you realize you're WELL short of the other side and you fall all the way down. The ambulance hornbooks rescue you, and then you run into the exam tree and fall all the way down the fucking gorge again.

User avatar
Frothingslosh
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:10 am

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby Frothingslosh » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:30 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Is anyone else super-behind all their classmates? And does anyone else feel like worrying about the implications of not understanding the material is a bigger mindfuck than actually not understanding the material? And is anyone else's life just generally a never-ending carcinogenic shitbomb?

I think I've finally figured out law school. It's Homer jumping the Springfield Gorge. At first it looks like you have a lot of momentum, then you realize you're WELL short of the other side and you fall all the way down. The ambulance hornbooks rescue you, and then you run into the exam tree and fall all the way down the fucking gorge again.


That is some beautifully on-point prose, right there.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby thesealocust » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:32 pm

I can almost guarantee you're not super-behind. There's enough time to ace your 1L courses basically starting from scratch at this point. The material is designed to feel overwhelming: the best advice from here on out is "if you're going through hell - keep going."

User avatar
kay2016
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 am

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby kay2016 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:45 pm

thesealocust wrote:I can almost guarantee you're not super-behind. There's enough time to ace your 1L courses basically starting from scratch at this point. The material is designed to feel overwhelming: the best advice from here on out is "if you're going through hell - keep going."



God, I hope so...

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:56 pm

kay2016 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:I can almost guarantee you're not super-behind. There's enough time to ace your 1L courses basically starting from scratch at this point. The material is designed to feel overwhelming: the best advice from here on out is "if you're going through hell - keep going."



God, I hope so...


I opened Glannon and was like, "Well, I guess I should learn something--ANYTHING--about CivPro now."

User avatar
boredtodeath
Posts: 632
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby boredtodeath » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:01 am

desiballa21 wrote:
sublime wrote::lol: Merkin. I am about to say fuck it, regardless of quality.

desiballa21 wrote:how many days y'all getting for your final memos?


Idk, we had maybe like 2-3 weeks? We had a draft due Monday and the final draft due in less than 3 hours.


ETA: Scooped by Merkin, same section.


fuck, really? they gave us 10 days total. it's due on monday

AND that's with no sort of draft or anything.. got the assignment, facts on friday and final memo due 10 days from then.


Yeah, this shit sucks. Not to mention I'm behind on all my other work heading into Thanksgiving.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby thesealocust » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:12 am

kay2016 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:I can almost guarantee you're not super-behind. There's enough time to ace your 1L courses basically starting from scratch at this point. The material is designed to feel overwhelming: the best advice from here on out is "if you're going through hell - keep going."



God, I hope so...


Much as a magical sitar, I only speak the truth.

User avatar
Merylian
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:46 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby Merylian » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:13 am

thesealocust wrote:Much as a magical sitar, I only speak the truth.


You're fantastic sir.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby thesealocust » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:14 am

I live to serve (and, if I haven't mentioned it already, was saying so before Saul Goodman stole my fucking line).

User avatar
desiballa21
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby desiballa21 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:23 am

i want to hug you tsl

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 10981
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:24 am

Mark's Open Memo command center/law school study center/paper holocaust:

Image

Fuck that memo. all done.

User avatar
desiballa21
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby desiballa21 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:27 am

ah, nice. congrats on it being done

I think I've done all my memos from straight lexis and westlaw and haven't really printed anything.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby thesealocust » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:28 am

Re: command center - god bless giant / corner desks.

desiballa21 wrote:i want to hug you tsl


* hug *

arklaw13
Posts: 1704
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby arklaw13 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:40 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
kay2016 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:I can almost guarantee you're not super-behind. There's enough time to ace your 1L courses basically starting from scratch at this point. The material is designed to feel overwhelming: the best advice from here on out is "if you're going through hell - keep going."



God, I hope so...


I opened Glannon and was like, "Well, I guess I should learn something--ANYTHING--about CivPro now."


That's about how I feel. We did a review problem and the professor went over it in class. Missed so many issues.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby nickb285 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:49 am

So far, I've managed to keep my "don't do anything Sundays" intact. I've taken up rock climbing at a nearby gym, which is pretty great because there's no way to focus on anything except climbing while you're doing it, so my Sunday routine is wake up->read Cracked->climbing->Gordon Biersch->poker->TV/video games/fun reading. Next week might be the end of it, since my final (open, graded) memo is due a week from tomorrow, but I'm really hoping I can get everything done by Saturday night. I need that day off.

Of course, I still have plenty of reading this week, and I have to make my outlines for Civ Pro and Torts. Did my reading for tomorrow, but wasted most of Saturday being hungover and useless. Can't wait to go home for Thanksgiving. I'll have to do homework, but being at home and spending time with friends sounds miles better than hanging out in my room trying to understand jurisdiction and the UCC.

User avatar
boredtodeath
Posts: 632
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby boredtodeath » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:14 am

desiballa21 wrote:ah, nice. congrats on it being done

I think I've done all my memos from straight lexis and westlaw and haven't really printed anything.


Yeah I just save any relevant case in a folder on Westlaw. When it comes down to it you really only end up using ~ 4-5 cases in your memo anyway.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], jerrycallo, ptz and 10 guests