TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
CaptainLeela

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby CaptainLeela » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Apologies on beating the Socratic Method questions to death...but, would your advice change if you were in a class where 20% of your grade was based on your cold-call answers AND these answers were graded on a curve against the rest of the class?

Because I was pretty zen with cold calling, until that happened.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:19 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:Apologies on beating the Socratic Method questions to death...but, would your advice change if you were in a class where 20% of your grade was based on your cold-call answers AND these answers were graded on a curve against the rest of the class?

Because I was pretty zen with cold calling, until that happened.

It's probably mathematically still moot, especially because the 80% of your grade based on the final will not only be worth 4x more but - in all likelihood - involve much more separation.

Prepare for your classes, which includes cold calls, but just keep in mind it's not the sole objective. It's a tiny leaf on one tree in the sprawling forest on the grand continent of law school.

thementor31337

Postby thementor31337 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:39 pm

I am about a month into 1L and my stress levels are pretty much off the charts. I feel overwhelmed, not so much by the work, but the entire adjustment to going to school. I am a non-traditional student and this is my first time going to school full time and living in a dorm. I was in the military for five years and try to compare this experience to that, and believe me the military (especially at first) was way harder than this is, but I'm still feeling like I'm drowning. My motivation to even get out of bed in the morning is lacking on most days and I'm seriously wondering if I made the right call by going to law school.

I'm not struggling so much with keeping up with readings, cold calls, etc. My LAWR class is definitely a stress inducer though and I'm putting way more effort into it than I thought I would have to (which seems to be pretty common). I feel very isolated in school and like I don't fit (mainly because I'm several years older than everyone else). I'm not sure what to do to break out of this and really believe that everything is going to be ok.

TL;DR - Getting owned by 1L stress...help!

Mr. Frodo

Postby Mr. Frodo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:05 pm

Thank you SeaLocust :P :P :P

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:28 pm

thementor31337 wrote:I am about a month into 1L and my stress levels are pretty much off the charts. I feel overwhelmed, not so much by the work, but the entire adjustment to going to school. I am a non-traditional student and this is my first time going to school full time and living in a dorm. I was in the military for five years and try to compare this experience to that, and believe me the military (especially at first) was way harder than this is, but I'm still feeling like I'm drowning. My motivation to even get out of bed in the morning is lacking on most days and I'm seriously wondering if I made the right call by going to law school.

I'm not struggling so much with keeping up with readings, cold calls, etc. My LAWR class is definitely a stress inducer though and I'm putting way more effort into it than I thought I would have to (which seems to be pretty common). I feel very isolated in school and like I don't fit (mainly because I'm several years older than everyone else). I'm not sure what to do to break out of this and really believe that everything is going to be ok.

TL;DR - Getting owned by 1L stress...help!

Hang in there friend. It can absolutely feel overwhelming. Part of the problem, as I think you're alluding to, is that it's stressful while also feeling like it shouldn't be stressful.

I think you've just got to keep your head down and keep going. It absolutely gets better, but until you've been through a round of it there's no magic way to banish the stress. Hopefully it helps to know that everybody's anxious - even the ones who are trying to behave as non-nonchalantly as possible.

Mr. Frodo wrote:Thank you SeaLocust :P :P :P

You're very welcome Mr. Frodo!

CaptainLeela

Postby CaptainLeela » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:01 pm

helix23

Postby helix23 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:47 pm

The apparent mystery is killer.

Dogg

Postby Dogg » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:40 pm

must. start. outlines.
and finish my memo

it will all be okay

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:46 pm

Dogg wrote:it will all be okay

Yep :)

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:58 pm

I'm a little worried that I am doing everything all wrong and I'm going to get median pwned. When I was going through the application process, I read all of the 1L success guides on TLS and absorbed hivemind wisdom. Pretty much every one of them says that you shouldn't brief, you should just find a good outline and study that, then do practice exams. I'm still briefing cases though--it's basically the entirety of my note-taking. I feel like it helps me to understand the material, but I'm worried that I'm going to be one of those people who thinks they're doing well because they know some things in class but suck it up on the test, and that I'll have no idea I'm doing everything wrong until I get straight B's on the exams. I've glanced at the outline archive, but I have no idea if the people who uploaded their outlines actually did well or if they thought a B was a really good grade, and only about half the outlines make any sense to me even in the parts of law that I've studied so far. It's still too early for practice exams (I hope), but I'm not sure what else I can do to see if I'm going to come out of 1L with mediocre grades and a summer job at Starbucks. There's also the fact that, being a splitter, I never really tried that hard in undergrad (in sharp contrast to apparently everyone else here), so I don't know if my study habits are any good.

It doesn't help that my normal support group of friends and family is 2,000 miles away--the only other times I've been this far from home for an extended period of time were for study abroad, and that's basically the opposite of rigor. People here are friendly enough, but obviously three weeks isn't a whole lot of time to get close to anyone, so I really only hang out with other people when there's a bar review or a mixer or something (plus poker on Sundays).

I'm not at a full-on freaking out level of stress--I have rarely reached that level for any reason, and probably never for an academic one--but there's a definite part of my mind that's wondering if I'm screwing everything up.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:16 pm

IANTheSeaLocust and I hope he doesn't mind me butting into his thread, but: Much of the TLS hivemind is credited, but not everything works for everyone. Some people brief all 3 years of LS and do well. Outlines can also be pretty idiosyncratic (not sure my outlines/notes would have made sense to anyone else), especially depending on the prof - that is, if the outlines that don't make sense were for profs other than yours, that's not particularly surprising. It's definitely too early for practice exams and I would say it's too early for serious outlining, too (with the caveat that maybe it does work for some people - see above - so if it does, great, but if it doesn't, don't see that as a failure).

In any case, it's way too early to say you're doing anything wrong. 1L is frustrating and scary because you can't really predict how you're going to do, so it is hard to know what you could/should be doing differently. But everyone feels that way. Try not to let it get to you. Give yourself some more time, and you will have time to take practice tests and figure out what, if anything, you're missing.

(FWIW: I never found studying from other people's outlines helpful, I rarely used supplements, I didn't brief but I did book brief/do the reading all through law school, and I got better grades when I stopped outlining in its traditional form. I don't say that to suggest you do any of the things I did, just to point out that the other TLS credited wisdom is "do what works for you," and don't worry about what the hivemind says otherwise.)

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:20 pm

A. Nony Mouse's post is credited.

nickb285 wrote:I'm a little worried that I am doing everything all wrong and I'm going to get median pwned.

It's too early to even be doing much of anything right! Although I can understand why you would be anxious.

It doesn't sound like you're screwing anything up, it sounds like you're very well prepared. And there's nothing at all wrong with modifying conventional wisdom to fit your own learning style and approach.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Appreciate it guys, thanks. This whole "one gigantic fuck-you test equals your entire grade" model is lame. Thanks SeaLocust for starting this thread.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:34 pm

nickb285 wrote:This whole "one gigantic fuck-you test equals your entire grade" model is lame.

Lame as hell.

It's even worse that most profs won't give you much help or guidance on how to prep for the exam.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:39 pm

Thanks for this thread

thementor31337

Postby thementor31337 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:53 pm

Thank you thesealocust! It is somewhat reassuring that there are others that feel the same way as I do. I can sympathize with not having your support system nearby either. My SO is 2500 miles away and I relocated about 200mi for school to a different state. Although my family is in the state where my school is (and relatively close by) sometimes that isn't the same as having your old friends around.

I think the adjustment of getting used to the school environment plus having my SO what seems like a million miles away has been screwing with my head. Plus I suck at making friends in general..lol. I just hope things will get better and I will adjust.

Also, +1 to the 100% of your grade being based on one test model being lame!

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:56 pm

1L throws a lot at you all at once, that's for sure! I hope it's helpful for y'all to have a place to vent with each other. I imagine it's harder in public with classmates to just throw up your hands and shout "this is scary and exhausting and I don't know what I'm doing and I need an adult" - but I can promise you everyone feels that way.

Dolphine

Postby Dolphine » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:46 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:

soj

Postby soj » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:57 pm

TSL and nony are always so generous with excellent advice. i wish i had had it as a 1L. it's too early to freak out. even when it gets to exam time, it doesn't help to freak out. don't let others' insecurity get to you.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:36 pm

thesealocust wrote:1L throws a lot at you all at once, that's for sure! I hope it's helpful for y'all to have a place to vent with each other. I imagine it's harder in public with classmates to just throw up your hands and shout "this is scary and exhausting and I don't know what I'm doing and I need an adult" - but I can promise you everyone feels that way.

Btw I have been keeping up with the New Associate thread, I see some of you guys are in a analagous situation to your 1L counter parts lol. How are things going for you? Do you feel like a lawyer yet?

Perhaps you could entertain us with a story from the real world.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:48 pm

Br3v wrote:
thesealocust wrote:1L throws a lot at you all at once, that's for sure! I hope it's helpful for y'all to have a place to vent with each other. I imagine it's harder in public with classmates to just throw up your hands and shout "this is scary and exhausting and I don't know what I'm doing and I need an adult" - but I can promise you everyone feels that way.

Btw I have been keeping up with the New Associate thread, I see some of you guys are in a analagous situation to your 1L counter parts lol. How are things going for you? Do you feel like a lawyer yet?

Perhaps you could entertain us with a story from the real world.

Heh, it's another brutal learning curve and the long hours are much more mandatory and much less flexible. I'm liking it about as well as one can, which means some of it is really cool, some of it is really terrifying, and all of it is really exhausting.

Not sure war stories would do much to bring down the anxiety level in the room, I'm afraid :lol: So far the best part has been hanging out / raging with the paralegals :D

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:32 am

Do the 2Ls get to join in for our post-OCI meltdowns?

Or should we just bump the "drop out now" thread.

dykstaab

Postby dykstaab » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:50 am

Thank you for making this thread. The gunners in my section have already made a study group and constantly talk about it (clearly so that the others in our section can hear about it). I know it's irrational, but part of me is thinking that they are going to be figuring out things that I won't (although I am pretty sure they will just argue moot points with each other). Definitely adding to my stress level when it shouldn't. Should I be worried about this at all?

Dogg

Postby Dogg » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:00 am

nickb285 wrote:Appreciate it guys, thanks. This whole "one gigantic fuck-you test equals your entire grade" model is lame. Thanks SeaLocust for starting this thread.

pretty much agree with this in every way

How did that model ever fit ?

Even the midterm 15% and final 85% is still god awful

Dogg

Postby Dogg » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:02 am

dykstaab wrote:Thank you for making this thread. The gunners in my section have already made a study group and constantly talk about it (clearly so that the others in our section can hear about it). I know it's irrational, but part of me is thinking that they are going to be figuring out things that I won't (although I am pretty sure they will just argue moot points with each other). Definitely adding to my stress level when it shouldn't. Should I be worried about this at all?

Definition of Gunner - A person (usually a medical or law school student) who uses over 3 different colored highlighters, tabs every page in their notebook, and raises their hand after every question asked by their professor, regardless of if they know the correct answer or not. Gunners like to hear themselves speak. They use complicated words to make themselves sound smart even though they have no idea what's going on in class- they pretend they do. They are trying to intimidate you and eliminate competiton.

Study groups help since others might see things you missed or to discuss ideas / exam answers / do work with each other.
But if they're gunners then just ignore them

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”