TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
clshopeful

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby clshopeful » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:44 pm

Always hear on TLS how arbitrary 1L grades are.. Is this really true? Did people who felt like they killed their exams end up with a 3.2?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:51 pm

The exams I felt I knew the most for, I generally got lower grades on (because the exam/subject was easy and everyone else knew as much as I did).

smaug

Postby smaug » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:56 pm

clshopeful wrote:Always hear on TLS how arbitrary 1L grades are.. Is this really true? Did people who felt like they killed their exams end up with a 3.2?

do you know what's a bad predictor of your grades? pretty much anything.
don't read tea leaves. you did how you did, and it'll be fine.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:59 pm

clshopeful wrote:Always hear on TLS how arbitrary 1L grades are.. Is this really true? Did people who felt like they killed their exams end up with a 3.2?

Idk, I was able to kind of predict where I would be at in each of my classes. When I got my grades back each grade made sense to me. I also did a lot of practice tests with people and sort of saw how many issues the average law student in my section would catch, and I could kind of base my performance roughly on that.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:07 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:

Idk, I was able to kind of predict where I would be at in each of my classes. When I got my grades back each grade made sense to me. I also did a lot of practice tests with people and sort of saw how many issues the average law student in my section would catch, and I could kind of base my performance roughly on that.

Grades making sense when you get them back isn't the same as predicting them, though.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:48 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

Grades making sense when you get them back isn't the same as predicting them, though.

True, I just meant that I could not tell you for certain what grade I got, but I was usually a half step away. If I thought I got a b I could have gotten a b +, or if I thought I could have gotten an A-, then maybe I got an A. I know people who literally think they failed and end up with an A and vis versa.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:36 am

Poldy wrote:I didn't say it does, I said it should. If someone is actually disabled then sure, give them accommodations. However, if someone with "ADD" gets 6 hours on the exam instead of 4 and writes 10,000 words instead of the 5,000-7,000 everyone else manages, then they don't have a disability, they are gaming the system.

Anyway, none of this is really in the spirit of an Anxiety Retreat so I'll leave it at that. There is a thread around here somewhere that is all about this topic.

I know numerous people who got extra time for ADHD last year. Two of them received awards for their test in a particular subject, at least two received the highest honor our school gives out and made LR.

That said, other than laughing at how these law schools functions, I don't see why you would get so angry about this.

EncyclopediaOrange

Postby EncyclopediaOrange » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:31 pm

Spring semester finals start in a week. Just praying that I pass at this point. How is there so much material? :shock:

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:05 pm

Big Red wrote:Image

qfnp

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:23 pm

Bumping for fall 2016 :D

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:35 am

chicharon

Postby chicharon » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:11 am

This is me flailing

McChicken

Postby McChicken » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:41 pm

This is me bitching.

Took my first final 2 days ago and I still feel terrible. Missed arguments and issues keep haunting me. I just thought about how Defendant had a possible substantial modification defense while I was eating breakfast this morning. I know I need to forget about it and focus on the next 3, but it feels like a really hot ex girlfriend; I just can't let it go. Its not like I can fixate on netflix, video games, or sports to drown my sorrows either because I still have work to do.

I think I did at least decently because I typed a lot and I applied a lot of law to fact. I also did pretty well on my midterms. Just feels like i choked.

Any tips on how to channel this neuroticism into focus?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:21 pm

McChicken wrote:This is me bitching.

Took my first final 2 days ago and I still feel terrible. Missed arguments and issues keep haunting me. I just thought about how Defendant had a possible substantial modification defense while I was eating breakfast this morning. I know I need to forget about it and focus on the next 3, but it feels like a really hot ex girlfriend; I just can't let it go. Its not like I can fixate on netflix, video games, or sports to drown my sorrows either because I still have work to do.

I think I did at least decently because I typed a lot and I applied a lot of law to fact. I also did pretty well on my midterms. Just feels like i choked.

Any tips on how to channel this neuroticism into focus?

I had something similar happen on my first ever law school exam, felt the same way, ended up still getting a good grade on the exam. It's far too hard to predict--anything is possible so try not to worry about it. You probably did better than you thought if you typed a lot and applied a lot of law to fact.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”