TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Retake3X

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby Retake3X » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:48 pm

d cooper wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:i know someone that answered "you got me, bro" to a cold call.

:lol:

At least now I know I'm not the only person that has contemplated it.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:22 pm

I'm stressed out that people on this board keep talking about Lexis points. I used that and Westlaw like once or twice. I got certified after taking the quiz, but that's about the extent that I've used it.

Am I missing something?

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:33 pm

Are you getting research assignments from your LRW class, or starting to write memos yet? That's where all of my Lexis/Westlaw work has come from, I wouldn't have used either yet if not for my LRW assignments.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:34 pm

cannibal ox wrote:Are you getting research assignments from your LRW class, or starting to write memos yet? That's where all of my Lexis/Westlaw work has come from, I wouldn't have used either yet if not for my LRW assignments.

That explains a lot. I've used the school'd database for the past assignment because the professor said to do so. Our class got really really chill all of a sudden. Hasn't been an assignment in the last two weeks.

jayessbee

Postby jayessbee » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:28 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:I'm stressed out that people on this board keep talking about Lexis points. I used that and Westlaw like once or twice. I got certified after taking the quiz, but that's about the extent that I've used it.

Am I missing something?

Lexis points can be turned into Amazon gift cards. That's basically the only reason anyone actually cares about them.

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:55 am

The hardiest LOL @ stressing out over lexis points

Postby 06102016 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:56 am

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:58 am

slackademic wrote:
FKASunny wrote:The hardiest LOL @ stressing out over lexis points

Or using Lexis. Lexis is TTT.

I always prefer west law as a student, but the ugly truth of the matter is that a lot of firms have more preferential financial relationships with lexis (west law is obscenely expensive, on the order of $100 per search), so you may wind up being "strongly encouraged" to lexis more than you'd like.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:43 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
slackademic wrote:

Or using Lexis. Lexis is TTT.

I always prefer west law as a student, but the ugly truth of the matter is that a lot of firms have more preferential financial relationships with lexis (west law is obscenely expensive, on the order of $100 per search), so you may wind up being "strongly encouraged" to lexis more than you'd like.

Thank the gods that financial efficiency doesn't matter to the feds, because westlaw is SO much better.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:15 pm

:lol:
People kept talking about it in the 1L thread. I was starting to think I was doing law school incorrectly.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:17 pm

Is there anything that lexis offers (outside of points) that westlaw doesn't, or vice-versa? Tangible things like how bloomberg doesn't offer headnotes (I think? I've never been able to successfully log in to bloomberg).

North

Postby North » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:21 pm

scoobers wrote:Is there anything that lexis offers (outside of points) that westlaw doesn't, or vice-versa? Tangible things like how bloomberg doesn't offer headnotes (I think? I've never been able to successfully log in to bloomberg).

There are some secondary sources that Lexis has and Westlaw doesn't (and vice versa). For example, you can only get has Collier on Bankruptcy with Lexis.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:01 pm

I got like $100 in Chili's giftcards from lexis points. Delicious, delicious crispy honey chipotle chicken crispers and Margarita Tuesdays.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:10 am

just got my memo back.

professor wants me to rewrite it. :(

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:28 pm

I teeter week to week between feeling organized and ready to take on the world and not knowing WTF I'm doing and playing the world's worst game of 52 pickup. Time to find a happy medium.

sesto elemento

Postby sesto elemento » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:01 pm

midterm tomorrow, i dont want to be median pwnd but i feel like its inevitable. Someone hold me :cry:

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:46 pm

sesto elemento wrote:midterm tomorrow, i dont want to be median pwnd but i feel like its inevitable. Someone hold me :cry:

Sesto is it graded or just for practice? If the latter, median pwnd is good for motivation. Either way you're going to crush it! 8)

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:06 pm

suck at cold calls, suck at legal writing, everyone seems to know more, do better, ahhhhhh

got a midterm paper back that i thought would serve as a sort of test for whether i was heading in the right direction, but the TA comments were just IRAC HARDER and i seemed to hit all of the main points in the sample answer, but simply got credit for it with no real feedback as to whether i was waaay far from making honors, or if i was relatively close to making honors or what

feel like i will be below median. also realized today that i will probably be barred from any security clearance for federal jobs due to past history

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:20 pm

whats an updog wrote:suck at cold calls, suck at legal writing, everyone seems to know more, do better, ahhhhhh

got a midterm paper back that i thought would serve as a sort of test for whether i was heading in the right direction, but the TA comments were just IRAC HARDER and i seemed to hit all of the main points in the sample answer, but simply got credit for it with no real feedback as to whether i was waaay far from making honors, or if i was relatively close to making honors or what

feel like i will be below median. also realized today that i will probably be barred from any security clearance for federal jobs due to past history

All very normal feelings! Don't worry about it.

And federal jobs are boring so who cares about security clearances :D

sesto elemento wrote:midterm tomorrow, i dont want to be median pwnd but i feel like its inevitable. Someone hold me :cry:

You'll be fine! Midterms really don't matter much, since the finals are so disproportionately weighted. People bomb midterms and ace finals every year (and vice versa) - so work hard, but realize it's just another learning opportunity at this stage.

sesto elemento

Postby sesto elemento » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:37 pm

As the days go by, I find it more difficult to pay attention in class. Is this bad? How bad is it?

foundingfather

Postby foundingfather » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:15 pm

sesto elemento wrote:As the days go by, I find it more difficult to pay attention in class. Is this bad? How bad is it?

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:44 pm

I find it easier to pay attention in class, but harder to (fully) do the readings. We just got over the material in class, struggling with trying to pull out one single idea the night before seems like a waste of time when I could be trying to pull larger concepts together.

patagonia93

Postby patagonia93 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:54 pm

sesto elemento wrote:As the days go by, I find it more difficult to pay attention in class. Is this bad? How bad is it?

It's not that bad. I sort of used my own judgment on what days and what portions of the class I paid attention in. On the last days of personal jurisdiction in Civ Pro or the day of going through Equal Protection in Con Law, I paid attention. Some other days in torts or whatever, who cares.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:03 pm

Class is dumb. I played a lot of Robot Unicorn Attack during it.

Some parts are key, like when your professor focuses down on rules/policies, but a lot of it is pointless meandering through facts and hypos that don't really even deserve your attention -- at least in my experience.

meat tornado

Postby meat tornado » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:53 am

I have not gotten one bit of positive feedback since 1L began :cry:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”