TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sublime

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Postby sublime » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:06 pm

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:12 pm

My own thread is confusing me

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:10 pm

thesealocust wrote:My own thread is confusing me

*hugs*

It's gonna be okay buddy.

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:24 pm

Is this now that thread where we give back to the Sealocaust?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:28 pm

Oh shit I accidentally posted here but I thought it was my fortress of solitude.

Oh well guess that's done now lulz

Happy 1L, 1Ls!

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:54 pm

FKASunny wrote:Is this now that thread where we give back to the Sealocaust?

TSL was John Coffey for 1Ls. I don't know if we can ever give back what he took from us.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:08 pm

Dolphine

Postby Dolphine » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:31 am

Last edited by Dolphine on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:00 pm

TSL Everyone is smarter than me and the people that aren't work waaaaaaay harder than I do. How am I going to not end up bottom 5%? Like coming in I was hoping to be one of the smart kids in class and now I feel like I'm just fighting not to be the dumbest.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:07 pm

Pneumonia wrote:TSL Everyone is smarter than me and the people that aren't work waaaaaaay harder than I do. How am I going to not end up bottom 5%? Like coming in I was hoping to be one of the smart kids in class and now I feel like I'm just fighting not to be the dumbest.

This is not true. You got in to the school so you are smart enough. Also working hard does not mean working in the right ways. The hardest part about class is that it's an adverse selection problem. The people who happen to know that one portion of the case or professor's question will be the ones who raise their hands. Not everyone who gets cold called can possibly know more than you. Do your best to stop worrying about other people and keep grinding through it.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:23 pm

Pneumonia wrote:TSL Everyone is smarter than me and the people that aren't work waaaaaaay harder than I do. How am I going to not end up bottom 5%? Like coming in I was hoping to be one of the smart kids in class and now I feel like I'm just fighting not to be the dumbest.

Neither of these things is perfectly correlated with lawl skool success. Working hard != working smart. Being smart != working smart. Echoing mal, the more you can just not worry about what other people are doing and relieve your own stress, the better things will turn out.

Also it's totally cool to just like not listen to what other people are saying in class. I mean, discussion, dialogue, yada yada. But you're getting tested on your professor's thoughts, not those of your classmates. Sometimes people will say valuable shit. But the strong majority is useless crap, even if it sounds sophisticated and intelligent.

RCinDNA

Postby RCinDNA » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:41 am

I doubt it. Most of the top students in my class neither talked all that much (or ever) in class, studied alone, and in general weren't telegraphing what they were doing. Don't believe the hype.

I think many people come to law school hoping to be one of the smart kids in class, but honestly, class participation counts for so little most times it's not really worth it to try unless you legitimately have an interest in the topic - my top grades were in classes where I only answered when called on, and I spent most of my time in-class working on my outline and LRWA assignments. Some of the people in my class who sounded uber-brilliant in class didn't do so well, and I suspect that some of them were prepping to look good in class and not actually working with the material for finals.

And the people working hard can actually just be wasting time - it's better to work smarter, not harder, and you can't really tell who is working most efficiently and effectively by looking around class or the library.

Law school is weird in that you get so little feedback that it's easy to fall into the trap of relying on classroom interaction to gauge your understanding of the material. As said before, don't believe the hype - find a way to relieve your stress, just focus on understanding the material to ace the finals, read enough to not look clueless if called on, and just work on meeting attorneys in a field you are interested in so you can eventually land a job.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:08 pm

You really don't need to be working hard at this stage in the semester. There's not much valuable you can even be doing with your time.

Shhh. It'll all be O.k.

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:15 pm

thesealocust wrote:

You really don't need to be working hard at this stage in the semester. There's not much valuable you can even be doing with your time.

Shhh. It'll all be O.k.

Really? Is TCR to JFC? I see everyone going ham for 12 hours a day and I get the "fear of missing out" syndrome...

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:03 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Shhh. It'll all be O.k.

Really? Is TCR to JFC? I see everyone going ham for 12 hours a day and I get the "fear of missing out" syndrome...

Chill. In September there's like literally nothing you can do that's helpful beyond reading cases and showing up.

In October, maybe pick it up a little with outlining, supplements, and 1Ls First Practice Exam (question or two) or something.

In November and December, you have my permission to go HAM.

Attax

Postby Attax » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:32 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Shhh. It'll all be O.k.

The people I've noticed going this hard are the ones who rock the cold call and seem to know the law, but then when the prof calls on them for a hypothetical to apply the law they just are confused and don't seem to know what to do, which seems counter-intuitive to the goal in mind. I wake up everyday and tell myself to JFC, and I've found it has been nice :) It has made this a pleasurable experience so far.

jayessbee

Postby jayessbee » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:37 pm

thesealocust wrote:In November and December, you have my permission to go HAM.

This kind of HAM?

Shatner aside, it does feel weird to not be doing anything besides read, go to class, review the notes, and pretend to work on the memo.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:42 pm

jayessbee wrote:it does feel weird to not be doing anything besides read, go to class, review the notes, and pretend to work on the memo.

Understood. There's so much pressure first semester, and you want to move at a million miles per hour towards your goal, but find no targets for you to train your guns on this early.

Enjoy the time to drink and get to know people and sleep :)

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:50 pm

We need a 2L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Because I've been a fairly dark place as of late.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:28 am

bump
:(

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:49 am

Tell us your thoughts and fears. Law school blows and this is a safe space.

Manteca

Postby Manteca » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:03 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Tell us your thoughts and fears. Law school blows and this is a safe space.

So many things, but I'll keep it brief.

First exam is in 23 days and I'm absolutely terrified as to doing well and having a decent outline. All outlines for the course I have are overly comprehensive and include extraneous material but I'm afraid of deleting it in fear I'll actually need it on test day. The prof also informed us she didn't know how we could possibly outline the course(???) Plus the practice exams alternate between knowing case facts specifically and just knowing the concept behind the case, so I'm very confused as what to be studying.

Midterm in CivPro is in two weeks and it's not worth marks, but I've been spending countless hours outlining for it. Don't know if I'm including the right information or not, I hate not having any feedback in courses.

Everyone seems smarter than I am, I'm constantly mentally tired despite enjoying the readings/work and I just want to avoid being median pwned.

*deep breath*

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:18 pm

Are you at a TT or below? I don't have any experience with midterms and things to that nature so I'm not too sure what the exam format will be. At the t14 exams are all extremely similar. But no matter what don't delete anything from your outline. Study the large outline then make a 1-2 page attack outline with only the bare essentials. Like elements to a crime, or steps to a test. I always over learn the outline but by the test time goes by too quickly to consult a large document. Althought its nice to have if you're in a bind and need to know a specific thing. Then you can control f that shit.

Manteca

Postby Manteca » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:26 pm

TT (cardozo)

Thank you for the advice, wise Mal. It is very much appreciated.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:40 pm

Got cold called on today in torts. Completely failed and had a panic attack.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”