TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
FSK

Platinum

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Post by FSK » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:40 am

I study very well with a guy in my class. We get along fine, and he's really helped me through the first year. However, I'm getting driven insane by seeing the opportunities literally thrown at him. He ended up top ~1% of the class 1st semester. As a result, the faculty essentially forced a big law firm to given him an SA, going to bat for him on transfers, etc. He earned it, I get it. But It kills me to think that, for how hard I worked last fall, I've gotten so much less. *grumble*
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

espressocream

Bronze

Post by espressocream » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:11 am

:shock: :? :?:

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:13 pm

Bout to pretty much wing my oral argument. I've been sick for the last 4 days, my dog had a seizure last night, and I am in no mood for this shit. How successful will I be if I just respond to any questions from the bench with fingerguns, and then just move on.

samcro_op

Silver

Post by samcro_op » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:51 pm

emarxnj wrote:Bout to pretty much wing my oral argument. I've been sick for the last 4 days, my dog had a seizure last night, and I am in no mood for this shit. How successful will I be if I just respond to any questions from the bench with fingerguns, and then just move on.
Not sure if you have gone yet but you will be fine (assuming it is about your LAWR paper). I spent 15 minutes before just sort of thinking about things and did pretty well. I am sorry to hear about your dog, good luck today!

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:08 pm

samcro_op wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Bout to pretty much wing my oral argument. I've been sick for the last 4 days, my dog had a seizure last night, and I am in no mood for this shit. How successful will I be if I just respond to any questions from the bench with fingerguns, and then just move on.
Not sure if you have gone yet but you will be fine (assuming it is about your LAWR paper). I spent 15 minutes before just sort of thinking about things and did pretty well. I am sorry to hear about your dog, good luck today!
Didn't go so bad. I got pretty frazzled as far as losing my place after questions, and I straight up said "I don't know" at one point, which is apparently frowned upon. It's over though, time to outline classes I don't understand.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

samcro_op

Silver

Post by samcro_op » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:32 pm

emarxnj wrote:
samcro_op wrote:
Didn't go so bad. I got pretty frazzled as far as losing my place after questions, and I straight up said "I don't know" at one point, which is apparently frowned upon. It's over though, time to outline classes I don't understand.
I gave up on outlines trying to read all of Cherminsky in a week :D

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:56 pm

samcro_op wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
samcro_op wrote:
I gave up on outlines trying to read all of Cherminsky in a week :D
Yeah I might go this route + old outline.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon May 12, 2014 8:59 am

About to sleep my way through a civ pro exam and then somehow write an 8 page essay before 6pm. Please remind me none of this matters

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon May 12, 2014 11:30 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon May 12, 2014 1:39 pm

thesealocust wrote:Image

:lol:

Back to stress. Pretty sure (like, real sure) I bombed hard on Civ Pro, and I might end up only completing half of my electives take home exam. How credited is dropping out law school

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon May 12, 2014 4:26 pm

Dude, relax and wait till grades come back. Stressin won't help.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Mon May 12, 2014 4:32 pm

emarxnj wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Image

:lol:

Back to stress. Pretty sure (like, real sure) I bombed hard on Civ Pro, and I might end up only completing half of my electives take home exam. How credited is dropping out law school
The stuff you've done already is completely pointless to stress about now. There is nothing you can do to change the outcome, so just chill. For the stuff still to come - just do your best and the curve will do what it does.

This shit isn't rocket science.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon May 19, 2014 10:09 am

Br3v wrote:Dude, relax and wait till grades come back. Stressin won't help.
Problem is, if I tanked my exams like I think I did (I basically didn't do half of my take home for an elective), why the fuck should I waste my time busting my ass for write-on? Or working an unpaid internship? And is law review the most pointless, circle-jerky thing about law school?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon May 19, 2014 10:14 am

Law review is the most pointless, circle-jerky thing about law school.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon May 19, 2014 10:36 am

thesealocust wrote:Law review is the most pointless, circle-jerky thing about law school.
And I need to be on one, why?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon May 19, 2014 11:12 am

emarxnj wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Law review is the most pointless, circle-jerky thing about law school.
You don't?

It's a little bit of a catch-22. If you were already competitive for big firm gigs, it's unlikely to be necessary. If you weren't, it's unlikely to put you over the edge.

There are two concerns:

First, you don't want your resume to give the impression of being disinterested or lazy. If 90% of your class is on a journal and you aren't, it is likely to create a negative presumption.

Second, for an isolated crop of opportunities (academic, litigation and clerkship related) journal is a legitimately important signalling mechanism.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon May 19, 2014 11:42 am

thesealocust wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
You don't?

It's a little bit of a catch-22. If you were already competitive for big firm gigs, it's unlikely to be necessary. If you weren't, it's unlikely to put you over the edge.

There are two concerns:

First, you don't want your resume to give the impression of being disinterested or lazy. If 90% of your class is on a journal and you aren't, it is likely to create a negative presumption.

Second, for an isolated crop of opportunities (academic, litigation and clerkship related) journal is a legitimately important signalling mechanism.
Ah, good to know. I guess clerkship is a possibility, so I'll get to it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

samcro_op

Silver

Post by samcro_op » Mon May 19, 2014 12:00 pm

Is it any clerkship?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon May 19, 2014 12:17 pm

samcro_op wrote:Is it any clerkship?
I think some/many/most federal judges care a lot about it, but I ain't a litigator and never tried to clerk so I can't speak with much expertise.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon May 19, 2014 9:56 pm

samcro_op wrote:Is it any clerkship?
Some judges won't care, but some judges will. No real clear pattern as to which judges (state/federal/trial/appellate) fall into which category, although I have a vague sense COA judges are a little more likely to care.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Sun May 25, 2014 8:59 pm

About to just quit my write-on after wasting the whole holiday weekend. Someone make me feel better about being a failure.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sun May 25, 2014 9:03 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Sun May 25, 2014 9:15 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
emarxnj wrote:About to just quit my write-on after wasting the whole holiday weekend. Someone make me feel better about being a failure.
If it helps, know that I quit the write-on, too. Throwing the packet in the trash was one of the best feelings of law school thus far.
Glad to hear I'm not alone. I don't really care about making law review (nor do I think I would, I know the kids in my class and they didn't wait 3 days to look at this shit). Now I just feel stupid for wasting one my favorite weekends of the year, but whatever, it's not the end of the world by any means. I tried, I couldn't do it, whatever.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sun May 25, 2014 9:18 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Sun May 25, 2014 9:25 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
emarxnj wrote:About to just quit my write-on after wasting the whole holiday weekend. Someone make me feel better about being a failure.
If it helps, know that I quit the write-on, too. Throwing the packet in the trash was one of the best feelings of law school thus far.
Glad to hear I'm not alone. I don't really care about making law review (nor do I think I would, I know the kids in my class and they didn't wait 3 days to look at this shit). Now I just feel stupid for wasting one my favorite weekends of the year, but whatever, it's not the end of the world by any means. I tried, I couldn't do it, whatever.
Don't let the sunk cost fallacy get to you.

Anyhow, whether or not you make Law Review is unlikely to determine your future. For employment purposes, Law Review probably helps borderline candidates, but it's not going to sink an otherwise solid candidate. It's more important for clerkship purposes, but that's yet another reason to go transactional.
Don't see clerking in my future. I also don't really know the whole transactional vs. whatever isn't transactional distinction...I feel like I missed some big pre-law school meeting where this shit was explained.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”