TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kay2016

Silver

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Post by kay2016 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:32 pm

thesealocust wrote:Bro Tip: If you're going through hell, keep going.

It's almost over.
Ima going... just pausing to have a breakdown. NBD.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:23 am

Frothingslosh wrote:Just one bite at a time. That's the only way to get through it all. When does your exam grind start?
Assuming you were talking to me...this is it. I guess technically tomorrow begins 3 days until exam 1

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:25 am

brotherdarkness wrote:
kay2016 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Bro Tip: If you're going through hell, keep going.

It's almost over.
Ima going... just pausing to have a breakdown. NBD.
Go to the bathroom, jump up and down for 30 seconds and get the panic out of you, then back to the grind.
Put on music from Rocky and shadow box. Been helpful for me.

samcro_op

Silver

Post by samcro_op » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:29 am

Chillin with my law school bud ODing on caffeine but laughing a lot while we use someones amazing outline (specific to our professor) to make Torts flash cards. Plan on hitting the bar tomorrow night (with flashcards) if we hit our study goals. Life ain't too bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:46 am

Can I learn torts in 3 days with glannon pls help me jesus

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:58 am

emarxnj wrote:Can I learn torts in 3 days with glannon pls help me jesus
you can probably sharpen your skills, no doubt.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:01 am

stillwater wrote:
I mean, I probably know more than I think I do, but I feel like I zoned out a lot in class. The guy was extremely difficult to follow, and would spend a whole class circling around the "rule of a case" that everyone already knew. At least it's open book. Can't even think about property or crim yet

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:02 am

emarxnj wrote:
stillwater wrote:
I mean, I probably know more than I think I do, but I feel like I zoned out a lot in class. The guy was extremely difficult to follow, and would spend a whole class circling around the "rule of a case" that everyone already knew. At least it's open book. Can't even think about property or crim yet
Glannon I think for torts is pretty spot-on. Be sure to read his last couple chapters on the big picture of torts exams. I found that helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

samcro_op

Silver

Post by samcro_op » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:16 am

emarxnj wrote:
stillwater wrote:
I honestly felt this exact same way just this morning. Then I was given an outline from a friend of a 3L who did awesome in his class. I have been going through the outline slowly by making flashcards. I honestly thought I knew nothing but going through the outline has made me realize how much I do know. I am sure you know more than you think. I think the key is just to try and relax and trust yourself while using the supplement. A lot of it just needs to be refreshed. You can do it!

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:43 am

samcro_op wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
stillwater wrote:
I honestly felt this exact same way just this morning. Then I was given an outline from a friend of a 3L who did awesome in his class. I have been going through the outline slowly by making flashcards. I honestly thought I knew nothing but going through the outline has made me realize how much I do know. I am sure you know more than you think. I think the key is just to try and relax and trust yourself while using the supplement. A lot of it just needs to be refreshed. You can do it!
Thanks man. I'm doing flashcards for my closed book exams, but I know they work well for me so I might do them for torts too. Curious, did you make your own outline as well?

cynthia rose

Bronze

Post by cynthia rose » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:25 am

I need to stop reading/listening to other people's stories and advice about torts. My professor was so straightforward that you could literally build your outline from your book briefing (assuming you only highlight rules and not case-specific analysis or holdings.) Then I read all this stuff about flash cards and flow charts and decision trees and supplements and freak out b/c I didn't do any of that. I shouldn't even be thinking about torts anymore but I'm having such a hard time putting it behind me.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:18 am

Time is on your side. It'll all work out <3

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rogers

New

Post by rogers » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:36 am

Good luck to everyone taking a final today. Don't know if this helps, but in UG it always helped me come finals time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoaktW-Lu38

samcro_op

Silver

Post by samcro_op » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:43 am

emarxnj wrote:
samcro_op wrote:
Thanks man. I'm doing flashcards for my closed book exams, but I know they work well for me so I might do them for torts too. Curious, did you make your own outline as well?
No, I do think I am the type of person who would benefit from them (although LOL who knows I have yet to take a final). I see why people say to not just read other people's outlines, making the flash cards is forcing me to go through it painfully slow. Mine is also closed book (my only one).

espressocream

Bronze

Post by espressocream » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:53 am

civ pro in 2 hours. just want it to be over already.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:01 pm

samcro_op wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
samcro_op wrote:
No, I do think I am the type of person who would benefit from them (although LOL who knows I have yet to take a final). I see why people say to not just read other people's outlines, making the flash cards is forcing me to go through it painfully slow. Mine is also closed book (my only one).
Nah I follow. I made an outline for one class, but for the others I sort of "speed outlined" from an outline from last year combined with my notes and a supplement when needed, and then I'm making flashcards.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:15 pm

Goddamnit I was all amped up this morning, was gonna hit office hours for a few quick questions then get down on some torts, but this one fucking gunner-mega group is locking the professor down.

cynthia rose

Bronze

Post by cynthia rose » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:32 pm

emarxnj wrote:Goddamnit I was all amped up this morning, was gonna hit office hours for a few quick questions then get down on some torts, but this one fucking gunner-mega group is locking the professor down.
They will all be below median, but they'll be unable to see through their tears/overcome their embarrassment enough to make that walk of shame down to the registrar's office and drop out, thus bolstering your place on the curve for the spring again.

You'll be fine :)

(just quietly hang around outside and eavesdrop, you might pick up some useful answers)

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:35 pm

cynthia rose wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Goddamnit I was all amped up this morning, was gonna hit office hours for a few quick questions then get down on some torts, but this one fucking gunner-mega group is locking the professor down.
They will all be below median, but they'll be unable to see through their tears/overcome their embarrassment enough to make that walk of shame down to the registrar's office and drop out, thus bolstering your place on the curve for the spring again.

(just quietly hang around outside and eavesdrop, you might pick up some useful answers)

I was just listening for a while, but then this one dipshit I can't stand came in and just cut right in to ask about what to put on the exam, when she said maybe 50 times she will not answer questions about the exam. And his question was "what order to address issues in". Ugh.

I'm getting worried about my outlines, I'm doing kind of a "speed outline" for Torts, and I don't see how any of mine will ever break 10 pages. Contracts was only 6 (14 pages if I put into Word though). They are dense, but I really don't see how I could make a 25 page outline. Am I making a mistake by not including much on cases? I have the rule, then I mention a party name/keywords to jog my memory to the importance of the case, no case ever takes up multiple lines. I'm starting to stress pretty hard about this, as the outline took me about 3 days, and I don't really know what else could be in it.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:34 pm

emarxnj wrote:
cynthia rose wrote:

I was just listening for a while, but then this one dipshit I can't stand came in and just cut right in to ask about what to put on the exam, when she said maybe 50 times she will not answer questions about the exam. And his question was "what order to address issues in". Ugh.

I'm getting worried about my outlines, I'm doing kind of a "speed outline" for Torts, and I don't see how any of mine will ever break 10 pages. Contracts was only 6 (14 pages if I put into Word though). They are dense, but I really don't see how I could make a 25 page outline. Am I making a mistake by not including much on cases? I have the rule, then I mention a party name/keywords to jog my memory to the importance of the case, no case ever takes up multiple lines. I'm starting to stress pretty hard about this, as the outline took me about 3 days, and I don't really know what else could be in it.

I agree with the short outline approach. You're not going to have time to look through a 60 page outline during in a exam. Maybe if your exam is open laptop then you could have a longer one in case you need to ctrl + f a specific case or something.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:53 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:33 pm

nickb285 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:I'm getting worried about my outlines, I'm doing kind of a "speed outline" for Torts, and I don't see how any of mine will ever break 10 pages. Contracts was only 6 (14 pages if I put into Word though). They are dense, but I really don't see how I could make a 25 page outline. Am I making a mistake by not including much on cases? I have the rule, then I mention a party name/keywords to jog my memory to the importance of the case, no case ever takes up multiple lines. I'm starting to stress pretty hard about this, as the outline took me about 3 days, and I don't really know what else could be in it.
Don't worry about it. Mine are anywhere from 12-28 pages in Word, and I have lots and lots of subheadings, so a significant portion of the outline is only written over part of the page. Sounds like yours are probably similar. I did cases the same as well, though I'm considering adding a little info--maybe a one sentence bit to jog my memory about what the case involved (e.g. "In Re Polemis--unexpected ship explosion"), seems like it might be helpful.

I also have a cheat sheet sort of deal with just the UCC on it for Contracts, since our prof said that was going to be significantly more important to know than the Restatement or cases, and I might do something similar with the FRCP for Civ Pro.
My contracts is closed book, which totally sucks, though she said we'd get any necessary UCC sections. She only has one practice exam 2003 so I'm basically going in there swinging in the dark.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:36 pm

espressocream wrote:
stillwater wrote:
espressocream wrote:took my first exam yesterday (K), have another tomorrow. accepting that i will get B's now. feeling relaxed. will just take the damn test, show all i know, and then move on. nothing i can do now. :?
Hi espressocream. I'm stillwater, yes, i am still water, 80%+ in fact. you won't know how you did until you get your grade. everything is on a curve. and i can tell you, the curve works in mysterious ways. keep the faith, keep grinding and you could be pleasantly surprised when you are done.
I know people will say not to worry about how much time others have put in, but I really feel like I've done nothing compared to my peers. I've been relaxed through this whole process, read everything, went to every class (minus a few K classes towards the end), just quietly have been working all semester. I even inserted a few K jokes in my exam as well, because why not -- she likes puns and wordplay. My answer was very short. 3600 words for a 3.5 hour exam. I outlined for 20 minutes for each problem, so I hit a lot of things (or maybe all the wrong things), but I didn't write enough.
FWIW, I would not characterize 3600 words in a 3.5 hour exam as "very short." I'd say that is probably average, or maybe even slightly above average. I've seen A+ exams that were as short as 2500 words, if not shorter, for a 3 hour exam. I wouldn't stress too much about it.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:37 pm

espressocream wrote:
kay2016 wrote:
espressocream wrote:wasted entire day. exam tomorrow. i dont even know who i am anymore. dont know how this happened.

you'll surprise yourself. you got this!
i'm reading model answers and realizing i didn't hit half the stuff this student did. who are these people?!
You learn a lot from reading model answers. It should help show you the "big picture," and show you how you should be thinking about fact patterns. Consider it like a diagnostic and don't stress over not matching the model answers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”