TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
northwood

Platinum

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Post by northwood » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:17 pm

emarxnj wrote:Torts professor just e-mailed us the exact layout of the exam, time allotments, stuff like that. One fact pattern with six questions, and a second with only one, so I'm assuming the first one is gonna be the big multi-party tort-orgy I've been practicing. I'm still kinda stuck on how to write my answer though. Causation isn't really a problem, was D's conduct cause-in-fact/proximate cause, damages is easy too, I'm honestly just mixed up with breach and duty and the concept of negligence. I get what they all mean, just writing an answer is a pain. I've seen some model answers where people are just stating the cause of action, and then they list issues with the cause, but it doesn't seem to necessarily be in any duty-breach-causation-damages way. pls someone give me a system I'm illiterate tier 2 scum

1. Ermarxnj: take a deep breath and relax. still breathing? well then that's a plus? Not breathing, well then you have other things to worry about that take priorities over law school....

2. there's two different approaches: One is to go through each issue and break it down by groups ec. Negligence A-B, C-D, A-D etc.., list the elements for each, then use a brief sentence to state something like this " the elements of negligence that are relevant to this discussion are.... then analyze the facts.. then rinse and repeat for each...

Or you can simply go through each paring and talk about all of the issues and discussion:
A-B
negligence
Tort 2
Tort 3
Remedy?

Rise and Repeat for each group paring

I personally used option one, because that way I was sure I discussed each paring for each tort issue I spotted. But some people don't like how it looks and would rather talk about the tortfeasiness of each individual

don't forget that its just a 3 hour conversation with you and your professor that just so happens to take place on paper. once time is up, delete the conversation from your memory and move on to the next thing in your life ( sex, beer, another final----- scratch that, a movie or something fun for a few hours, delicious treats/ junk food) and don't talk to other classmates about it.

I know I went a little beyond your question, but keep in mind, theres at least 1 class that freaks you out 1L fall ( for me it was every class besides criminal law), and any 1L that says otherwise, is a foolish idiot.

Keep breathing, keep plodding, and keep perspective finals are just a convoluted medium to have a conversation with your professor who resides in the ivory tower, after all

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:38 pm

northwood wrote:
1. Ermarxnj: take a deep breath and relax. still breathing? well then that's a plus? Not breathing, well then you have other things to worry about that take priorities over law school....

2. there's two different approaches: One is to go through each issue and break it down by groups ec. Negligence A-B, C-D, A-D etc.., list the elements for each, then use a brief sentence to state something like this " the elements of negligence that are relevant to this discussion are.... then analyze the facts.. then rinse and repeat for each...

Or you can simply go through each paring and talk about all of the issues and discussion:
A-B
negligence
Tort 2
Tort 3
Remedy?

Rise and Repeat for each group paring

I personally used option one, because that way I was sure I discussed each paring for each tort issue I spotted. But some people don't like how it looks and would rather talk about the tortfeasiness of each individual

don't forget that its just a 3 hour conversation with you and your professor that just so happens to take place on paper. once time is up, delete the conversation from your memory and move on to the next thing in your life ( sex, beer, another final----- scratch that, a movie or something fun for a few hours, delicious treats/ junk food) and don't talk to other classmates about it.

I know I went a little beyond your question, but keep in mind, theres at least 1 class that freaks you out 1L fall ( for me it was every class besides criminal law), and any 1L that says otherwise, is a foolish idiot.

Keep breathing, keep plodding, and keep perspective finals are just a convoluted medium to have a conversation with your professor who resides in the ivory tower, after all
1. Shallow, but yes. Alive and "well"

2. The first method sounds better for me, considering my exam questions are already laid out that way (1 fact pattern, 7 questions with varying weights). Also, 5 hours, but he said it won't be a 5 hour exam, he just doesn't want time to be an issue. Your point about "these are the elements relevant" really clears a lot up. I just wasn't sure how to get through elements that weren't really the big issue.

I appreciate the help. I'm gonna go relax, do a couple E&Es/review my outline while I watch Parks and Rec. I know this stuff, if it so happens to manifest in word vomit tomorrow, so be it. Going out for sangria and portugese food after the exam, so at least I get little bit of sanity before property panic begins.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:43 pm

Y'all will be fine. Knock those exams out and worry about jobs later. Plenty of ways to get on in this world.

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:33 am

Last edited by nickb285 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:00 am

sounds like a good plan to me :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rogers

New

Post by rogers » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:11 am

nickb285 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Y'all will be fine. Knock those exams out and worry about jobs later. Plenty of ways to get on in this world.
Personally, my backup plan is to run a sketchy hostel/bar in Belize under an assumed name.
I like it. Drop the sketchy and replace Belize with Costa Rica and this is my plan.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:15 am

nickb285 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Y'all will be fine. Knock those exams out and worry about jobs later. Plenty of ways to get on in this world.
Personally, my backup plan is to run a sketchy hostel/bar in Belize under an assumed name.

From what I understood on Breaking Bad, you don't wanna go to Belize

espressocream

Bronze

Post by espressocream » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:41 am

sublime wrote:
moonman157 wrote:
North wrote:TSL bottom third at T14 can still get jerbz right?

Like if we hustle?
This is exactly what is going through my head right now. Like, just give me a jerb. Any jerb at all will do.

Shit, try being T20. You don't know the struggle of 25% geting biglaw, 25% getting decent jobs, 25% getting shit jobs, and 25% getting no jobs.

...T50....still drunk from the other day...for a reason....

chem!

Platinum

Post by chem! » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:47 am

nickb285 wrote:
Personally, my backup plan is to run a sketchy hostel/bar in BelizeNicaragua or Roatan under an assumed my own name.
I have actually looked at properties there and in Roatan. :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:21 am

TORTS IN 30 MINUTES QUICKLY TELL ME EVERYTHING I NEED TO KNOW IN 4 SENTENCES DO I JUST KEEP SAYING "REASONABLE PERSON"

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:32 am

emarxnj wrote:TORTS IN 30 MINUTES QUICKLY TELL ME EVERYTHING I NEED TO KNOW IN 4 SENTENCES DO I JUST KEEP SAYING "REASONABLE PERSON"
REASONABLE PERSON
SUE EVERYONE FOR EVERYTHING

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:10 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:28 pm

nickb285 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:From what I understood on Breaking Bad, you don't wanna go to Belize
It's actually pretty nice outside of Belize City (and Belmopan, from what I've heard, though I didn't make it there). Definitely not a wealthy country, but the people are super friendly and it's absolutely beautiful. I've heard Costa Rica is awesome as well, though I haven't been there yet.
Dangriga's pretty shitty, but South Water Caye is the most amazing tropical location I've ever been to. I post a relaxing picture here in the spirit of the meditation retreat.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:03 pm

nickb285 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:From what I understood on Breaking Bad, you don't wanna go to Belize
It's actually pretty nice outside of Belize City (and Belmopan, from what I've heard, though I didn't make it there). Definitely not a wealthy country, but the people are super friendly and it's absolutely beautiful. I've heard Costa Rica is awesome as well, though I haven't been there yet.
Oh I just meant because it became a euphemism for killing someone on the show (spoiler? someone dies?).

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:06 pm

That's a really rough stretch. Hang in there; I wish you all the best.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:07 pm

nickb285 wrote:Just got a call from a close friend on her way to the hospital. She's feeling suicidal and is going to check herself in for treatment. Can't fucking handle studying. I'm way behind in Civ Pro and I'm gonna bomb the test on Monday and I don't even give a fuck anymore, I just want to go home.
sorry to hear this. hope you're doing alright. is your friend in law school? i hope everyone tries to take some of the great advice here to heart and try, as hard as things are, to keep things in perspective. its not worth anyone's health.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:17 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:19 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:31 pm

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:46 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Merylian

Silver

Post by Merylian » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:06 pm

Taking a day off and not thinking about law school was probably the best thing ever. Went out with the husband, explored a big shopping area, had an amazing turkey sandwich with cranberry sauce on it, went and saw The Desolation of Smaug in 3D, and smuggled candy into the theater like teenagers. Or, you know, poor people. Now feeling zen, not caring about the last two exams, and refreshed for the next one.

Fellow 1L's: If you can take a day off and just do nothing law related, it is absolutely amazing. Highly recommend.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:20 pm

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:34 pm

Merylian wrote:Taking a day off and not thinking about law school was probably the best thing ever. Went out with the husband, explored a big shopping area, had an amazing turkey sandwich with cranberry sauce on it, went and saw The Desolation of Smaug in 3D, and smuggled candy into the theater like teenagers. Or, you know, poor people. Now feeling zen, not caring about the last two exams, and refreshed for the next one.

Fellow 1L's: If you can take a day off and just do nothing law related, it is absolutely amazing. Highly recommend.

Took the night off after my torts exam, felt great. More than halfway there, now I gotta learn property cold in 3 days (closed book). Anyone have experience with the Law in a Flash cards for property? Making them takes too long for me.

eerie_erie

Bronze

Post by eerie_erie » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:56 pm

slackademic wrote:
Merylian wrote:Taking a day off and not thinking about law school was probably the best thing ever. Went out with the husband, explored a big shopping area, had an amazing turkey sandwich with cranberry sauce on it, went and saw The Desolation of Smaug in 3D, and smuggled candy into the theater like teenagers. Or, you know, poor people. Now feeling zen, not caring about the last two exams, and refreshed for the next one.

I would love to but I'm not there yet.
You gotta have boundaries. I agree with taking a day off. Your brain is rice pudding anyways after an exam.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”