TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
beepboopbeep

Gold

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Post by beepboopbeep » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:51 pm

Young Marino wrote:Got cold called on today in torts. Completely failed and had a panic attack.
You are literally the only person who will remember how bad it was, no one else in the class will remember/care

FWIW my worst coldcall ever came in a class that I ended up booking. It's not a reflection on literally anything other than your ability/experience with handling coldcalls

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:30 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
Young Marino wrote:Got cold called on today in torts. Completely failed and had a panic attack.
You are literally the only person who will remember how bad it was, no one else in the class will remember/care
I thought that was true, and then a classmate said to me the other day "You remember that time in Torts when the prof called on you and you just said "pass"? That was ridiculous." It's been two years, and it was only ridiculous because the prof decided to take personal offense to it.

Marino, I assume you didn't actually piss off the prof? If so, then

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:29 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
I thought that was true, and then a classmate said to me the other day "You remember that time in Torts when the prof called on you and you just said "pass"? That was ridiculous." It's been two years, and it was only ridiculous because the prof decided to take personal offense to it.

Marino, I assume you didn't actually piss off the prof? If so, then
You said "I'll pass" ? Lmao i was honestly thinking about saying that but then he told me what the rest of the facts were that were missing. He was pretty cool about it when i went up to him after class. I said "sorry I kinda blanked out". But still just the whole class just staring at me to say something while I was just like "uh, uh, uh......" really nerve racking and stupid.

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:34 pm

i know someone that answered "you got me, bro" to a cold call. that someone is now the TA

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:52 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Tell us your thoughts and fears. Law school blows and this is a safe space.
Are you taking over for TSL now?

The short list:
- I'm probably working too hard and not smart enough
- I'm almost obviously only here because of my LSAT and I studied so hard for that I might as well have cheated
- I'm terrified I'll work hard and still end up with all :| grades
- contracts sucks
- they're already talking about our summer positions and I'm like what I am just proud of myself for remembering my schedule

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:29 pm

scoobers wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Tell us your thoughts and fears. Law school blows and this is a safe space.
Are you taking over for TSL now?

The short list:
- I'm probably working too hard and not smart enough
- I'm almost obviously only here because of my LSAT and I studied so hard for that I might as well have cheated
- I'm terrified I'll work hard and still end up with all :| grades
- contracts sucks
- they're already talking about our summer positions and I'm like what I am just proud of myself for remembering my schedule
Stop worrying about other people. Do whatever it takes. For me it was NEVER studying in the library. I went and chilled with the undergrads. You should absolutely not worry about summer positions. Get your resume ready but that's IT.

You're smart enough. I felt like I was the dumbest person in the law school because my GPA was ok but I had a lower than average LSAT. See how no matter what our situation is we somehow find a way to justify to ourselves that we don't deserve to be there? You're there and it will be all better in a year.

If you're worried about over studying take a night off. Read some older people's outlines or supplements to see what you need to be taking away from the cases. You can't really do much right now and that's the sick part about the beginning of law school. You're really eager beaver but don't know shit.

Also all classes with the exception of civ pro are the same. Finding rules and applying them to facts. Even civ pro is more similar than different. At least in terms of how you need to be approaching the material.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:42 pm

Checking in. I can't believe that what's stressing me out is LRW.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:45 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Checking in. I can't believe that what's stressing me out is LRW.
Graded or ungraded.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:26 pm

Graded. If it was ungraded I would give zero fucks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:28 pm

I think the big thing with LRW is just making sure you understand exactly what the prof wants, and giving it to them. Suspend any disbelief about whether what they want you to do makes sense and go with it.

And I know plenty of people who got amazing grades and had amazing outcomes who tanked LRW, so don't let it get to you.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:36 pm

Also research a LOT when it comes time to do that.

chem!

Platinum

Post by chem! » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:37 pm

I'm going to second Nony and Mal on the LRW advice. It is solid.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:50 am

Should I be treating civ pro differently, since it isn't really apply facts to law?
I have no idea at all what an exam could possibly look like for this class yet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:01 am

Oh but it is.

What happens when I'm the plaintiff in a law suit and I throw the notice of the lawsuit in your soup when you're sitting at lunch. Well that's a rule 4 issue (can't remember what notice rules are) and then you read through and realize that a plaintiff can't serve their own papers to the defendant. Probably for good reason. So you need to refile. This is probably a simple example.

Here's a draft of a complaint: Blah blah blah. That's probably not well-pleaded under twombly/iqbal since it only cites legal conclusions, etc. etc.

This company sells all of its products in Texas but the products ended up in Wisconsin because they were component parts to a larger machine. In Wisconsin they injured the plaintiff. Can the company be sued in Wisconsin? Under Asahi some justices would say no because you need something more than simply the stream of commerce. But others hey maybe that's enough since we live in a global economy now and the company can afford it under the reasonableness test of Burger King.

goden

Gold

Post by goden » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:09 am

Lol that's impressive if you did that all from memory

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:09 am

I had to read that like 3 times for it to make sense and now i'm more worried.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:10 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:11 am

as mal said, civ pro is incredibly fact dependent. consider a motion to transfer venue. its all about the locus of operative fact, who lives or is incorporated where, the origin of the claim, convenience of the parties, ect. Or a personal jurisdiction question. Are there sufficient minimum contacts? was there a "purposeful availment?" those are all fact-driven inquiries. Learn the federal procedural rules and the holdings setting out rules from each case in PJ and Erie, see how the judges in majority and dissent interpreted each set of facts to match their position and the catch-phrases, and become a master of manipulating any fact pattern thrown at you to analogize or distinguish from those cases to fit into those catch-phrases bins.

and yea as mal also said, its good to have a policy argument to back up your fact argument
Last edited by jbagelboy on Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:11 am

slackademic wrote:Yeah Civ Pro is extremely facts to law or whatever. The rules are applied to cases. They don't exist in a vacuum.
i'm a dumbfuck, i was trying to say it was different and I messed it up.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:21 am

goden wrote:Lol that's impressive if you did that all from memory
both our winter memos and spring briefs were on PJ so our class has that shit down cold

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:23 am

Hey man. That's over the line. Let me have my moment in the sun. Like do your schtick and everything but you don't have to make everyone else look bad.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

soj

Platinum

Removed

Post by soj » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:55 am

soj

Platinum

Removed

Post by soj » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:57 am

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:25 am

Checking in.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:52 am

Ty everyone :)

Re: 1L jobs...like the school is telling us we need to start doing stuff. Or at least...vaguely telling us. Like, attend info sessions! Check out the state dep! And the other day all the civ pro professors talked to us about clerkships at the end of class :|

I know I'm not alone in that stress tho. My roommates and I skipped the last info session together because we just didn't want to be told more things we supposedly have to do.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”