TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Leonardo DiCaprio

Bronze

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Post by Leonardo DiCaprio » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:57 pm

what i have quickly come to realize over the past two weeks since LS started is that everyone fucking told me LS sucks and i didn't listen. thats the crazy thing. people just didn't tell me that it would suck. they told me exactly how it would suck. and they were right. i had a choice and i chose wrong.

im fucking theon greyjoy and LS is ramsay snow.

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post by PourMeTea » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:58 pm

Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:in case there are 0Ls lurking this thread... all else equal go to the school that has ungraded legal writing. when i was lurking as a 0L and i read 1Ls post shit like that i used to think they were just being silly and facetious. im fucking telling you now. don't be an idiot like me. go with the ungraded LRW.
So much this. Graded LRW FUCKED me.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:09 am

ManoftheHour wrote:I was not myself during my CB. I'm so disappointed in myself. I let the pressure get to me. I was so aggressive to get my questions through instead of relaxing and making good conversation like I normally do during interviews. I let all the disappointments from the dings during the screens get to me. What the hell is wrong with me? I got the CB, should have just relaxed and do the same thing again. Interviewed with the same people too. My rejection letter will probably be sent by the secretary next week. The Vale of Tears looms.

I suck.
Remember when I told you it was only half time after first semester of 1L? Well that was true. You finished game 1 of an MLB 162 game season. You're in game 3 or 4 now. Careers are marathons. 1 person from my school summered at a biglaw firm. Yet there are 10 plus of employed in biglaw 5 years later. If the goal is biglaw, its not close to over. If the goal is a rewarding career, plenty of opportunity there too. Take a deep breath and keep doing you.

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:15 am

jbagelboy wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:in case there are 0Ls lurking this thread... all else equal go to the school that has ungraded legal writing. when i was lurking as a 0L and i read 1Ls post shit like that i used to think they were just being silly and facetious. im fucking telling you now. don't be an idiot like me. go with the ungraded LRW.
TCR
+1.

Ungraded LPW was awesome. As in, I didn't really do it.
I wish I had paid more attention to this factor. While the amount of time I've spent on LRW has not been ridiculous, it has been similar to the doctrinal classes that are worth twice the credit hours.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:32 am

PourMeTea wrote:
So much this. Graded LRW FUCKED me.
Doing "well" in legal writing (lol) is scrub life

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ron Howard

Bronze

Post by Ron Howard » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:11 am

Yes! It is annoying enough when it is ungraded. Please listen to this fellow.

foundingfather

Silver

Post by foundingfather » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:08 pm

Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:what i have quickly come to realize over the past two weeks since LS started is that everyone fucking told me LS sucks and i didn't listen. thats the crazy thing. people just didn't tell me that it would suck. they told me exactly how it would suck. and they were right. i had a choice and i chose wrong.

i totally know that feel, bro. i know that feel. but it gets better. i almost cried my 1L year because of the workload. but now I'm swamped, yet happy (and not even employed yet)

See:
JohannDeMann wrote: Careers are marathons . . . Take a deep breath and keep doing you.
eta:

Leonardo DiCaprio

Bronze

Post by Leonardo DiCaprio » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:20 pm

that sausage is my dignity/my self-esteem/my life. and ty bro appreciate the encouragement.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:21 pm

foundingfather wrote:but now I'm swamped, yet happy (and not even employed yet)
Teach me your ways.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

foundingfather

Silver

Post by foundingfather » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:45 am

Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:that sausage is my dignity/my self-esteem/my life. and ty bro appreciate the encouragement.
ayy np. that's what we're here for
ManoftheHour wrote:
foundingfather wrote:but now I'm swamped, yet happy (and not even employed yet)
Teach me your ways.
i can tell you what i've done;

i read about 'mindfulness'. basically, if something goes wrong, ask yourself: will this literally kill me right now? if not, it's probably not something to really worry about. literally take a deep breath, and just try to make the best out of whatever situation you're in (even if something is literally killing you)

also, i'm taking classes I like, so that helps. i try not to think about law school as the rat race that it seems to be sometimes, but as a learning experience instead. forget about biglaw. forgot about the money. someone once told me "just do what you love, and you will be happy." this isn't positive psychology or any bs, just literally go out there and do what you want to do. if biglaw happens, it happens.

if not, who cares. like someone above said: you have a long career ahead of you.

'literally' word count: about 3?

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Post by WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:51 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leonardo DiCaprio

Bronze

Post by Leonardo DiCaprio » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:55 pm

why do profs go into so much depth with cases in class if they don't test you on that level granularity? what am i supposed to be getting out of this? like should i expect questions like "why did the dissenting op in case X argue that Y and Z? do you think that's true?" on exams?

Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Post by Single-Malt-Liquor » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:05 pm

Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:what i have quickly come to realize over the past two weeks since LS started is that everyone fucking told me LS sucks and i didn't listen. thats the crazy thing. people just didn't tell me that it would suck. they told me exactly how it would suck. and they were right. i had a choice and i chose wrong.

There is no Theon. Now Reek, what are you going to do this evening?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:58 pm

Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:why do profs go into so much depth with cases in class if they don't test you on that level granularity? what am i supposed to be getting out of this? like should i expect questions like "why did the dissenting op in case X argue that Y and Z? do you think that's true?" on exams?
thesealocust wrote:Rules:

. . .

No strategy or advice: The rest of the website is for that. Go nuts planning your route to SCOTUS elsewhere.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:59 pm

Slightly less flippant reply: it's psychological warfare. It's hazing. It's a dumb system designed to make them feel smug and you feel dumb and maybe accidentally teach something to a small number of people who were predisposed to it anyway.

Shhhh it'll be O.K.

Wasr

New

Post by Wasr » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:49 am

I constantly screw up cold calls. I did the reading; I know the material. But when I get called on I panic and my mind goes blank. Even when I do know exactly what I'm talking about my voice quavers and I sound unconfident. I dunno... I like the material and I find class interesting but I am afraid that I'll be a terrible lawyer because I'm a mess in class. Here's to hoping this all gets better.

foundingfather

Silver

Post by foundingfather » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:22 am

Wasr wrote:I constantly screw up cold calls. I did the reading; I know the material. But when I get called on I panic and my mind goes blank. Even when I do know exactly what I'm talking about my voice quavers and I sound unconfident. I dunno... I like the material and I find class interesting but I am afraid that I'll be a terrible lawyer because I'm a mess in class. Here's to hoping this all gets better.
it's really just a matter of getting comfortable. i still have days where i turn beet red when I get called on, and others where I banter back and forth with the professors.

when you first step out of your comfort zone, it's natural to feel nervous. you will get better with practice, especially if you sign yourself up for something like moot court

these are all skills that you just learn over time. yes, even introverts (that maybe become ambiverts with effort?)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:01 am

Wasr wrote:I constantly screw up cold calls. I did the reading; I know the material. But when I get called on I panic and my mind goes blank. Even when I do know exactly what I'm talking about my voice quavers and I sound unconfident. I dunno... I like the material and I find class interesting but I am afraid that I'll be a terrible lawyer because I'm a mess in class. Here's to hoping this all gets better.
once you realize that cold calls don't matter and stop caring, you get way better at them

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:25 pm

Kratos wrote:
once you realize that cold calls don't matter and stop caring, you get way better at them

Leonardo DiCaprio

Bronze

Post by Leonardo DiCaprio » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:53 pm

bros how do i learn to love LS? how do i learn to love LS students?

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:07 pm

Shhhhhhhhh its okay.

Learn to love LS students? Hook up with a 3L?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Leonardo DiCaprio

Bronze

Post by Leonardo DiCaprio » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:56 pm

graded LRW is so TTT. ffuuuuuuuuu

foundingfather

Silver

Post by foundingfather » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:57 am

Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:bros how do i learn to love LS? how do i learn to love LS students?
i can't say i loved my 1L year, although it did have its highs and lows.

get drunk with your 1L classmates is probably tcr. but then again I go to school in Miami

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:31 pm

foundingfather wrote: get drunk with your 1L classmates is probably tcr. but then again I go to school in Miami
TITCR. Still applies even though I go to school in the boonies.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:54 pm

Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:bros how do i learn to love LS? how do i learn to love LS students?
Stockholm syndrome.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”