TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
shifty_eyed

Gold

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Post by shifty_eyed » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:43 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:Actually what I think I really need is a new LRW section. Everyone is really smart and diligent in mine.
thats some cop-out BS… you are smarter than that… what were your weaknesses in LRW?

time to boost that grade next semester.
I have no idea. I haven't picked up my memo yet. I also turned in a small completion grade assignment late, and I probably got no credit for that. I already had a meltdown over that when it happened and it won't happen again but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ok, gotcha… legal writing is a learned skill, and it can be "relatively easy" to boost your grade next semester with only a few changes.

i am happy to help when you get your memo back. i have a few tips that i use to help me stay on track
Thanks for the offer! I will definitely take you up on it.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:21 pm

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
arklaw13 wrote: I have no idea how our LRW was even graded. The whole thing just seems random.

On another note, CAN I JUST HAVE MY LAST FUCKING GRADE ALREADY?!?!?!?
That 'I'll have it up by Friday' shtick was some 180 trolling
So 180.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:28 pm

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:09 pm

sublime wrote:Yea, a prof said our last grade would be out Friday and of course, it isn't. Monday looks like the most likely.

Also, I am supposed to read things in books that I don't have yet. :|
I decided this week not to buy my K's book this quarter. Results to be seen. They let us check them out for two hours and leave the library with them, so a date with a Kinko's may be in the near future.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:09 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
sublime wrote:Yea, a prof said our last grade would be out Friday and of course, it isn't. Monday looks like the most likely.

I decided this week not to buy my K's book this quarter. Results to be seen. They let us check them out for two hours and leave the library with them, so a date with a Kinko's may be in the near future.
You could also try getting an old edition on the cheap and using the reserve copy for new cases.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:28 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:

You could also try getting an old edition on the cheap and using the reserve copy for new cases.
The reviews for the old edition are hilariously awful: http://www.amazon.com/Contracts-Cases-C ... ewpoints=1

But yea that's the other alternative I was considering, especially since the cheapest previous edition is literally $0.01+shipping

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:35 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:

The reviews for the old edition are hilariously awful: http://www.amazon.com/Contracts-Cases-C ... ewpoints=1

But yea that's the other alternative I was considering, especially since the cheapest previous edition is literally $0.01+shipping
Reviews for casebooks are usually awful because casebooks are generally fucking awful.

For K I can't see cases changing much from year to year. That would be a class where using an old edition might be ok.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:37 pm

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:24 am

sublime wrote::lol: That is actually the casebook that we used. I liked it generally, although much of that can likely be attributed to having a phenomenal professor. And he tailored what we read fairly tightly.

I do like starting K's with remedies, although I may only say that because that's what I did.

ETA: I don't remember reading any new cases, although again, my prof may be why, as he has been teaching K's since like 1969.
Our Ks professor is one of those with a reputation for being great, but I'm not seeing it yet. He sounds like Wallace Shawn, and I'm trying to figure out how to bait him into saying "inconceivable!" at some point during the quarter.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:44 pm

My textbooks won't get here til Wednesday, so I'm going to have to charge ~$500 on my credit card to buy new from the school store and then return in 2 days. :|

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:19 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:My textbooks won't get here til Wednesday, so I'm going to have to charge ~$500 on my credit card to buy new from the school store and then return in 2 days. :|
or you could
1) not read
2) borrow from a friend
3) borrow from the library reserves

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:26 pm

soj wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:My textbooks won't get here til Wednesday, so I'm going to have to charge ~$500 on my credit card to buy new from the school store and then return in 2 days. :|
or you could
1) not read
2) borrow from a friend
My inner gunner worries about being called on in class. The syllabus for one of my classes says that they will start with my last name's first letter.
:|

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:31 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:39 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
soj wrote:
or you could
1) not read
2) borrow from a friend
My inner gunner worries about being called on in class. The syllabus for one of my classes says that they will start with my last name's first letter.
:|
If your last name begins with an "A" and you're worried about being cold-called, borrow the casebook from a friend or the library reserve and read before class. However, the beauty of blind-grading is that your performance on cold-calls is irrelevant.

Or just email your professor and explain.. normally it's no excuse but there has been a legit weather problem that delayed a lot of shipments. But, your call.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:33 pm

Gonna just go with canned briefs and skimming in library before class. :shock:

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:37 pm

1Ls are so cute <3

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:11 pm

soj wrote:1Ls are so cute <3
Go back to your ivory tower, Mr. Mod

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

samcro_op

Silver

Post by samcro_op » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:34 pm

My K's professor hates publishing companies so he taught from the new edition but told people it wouldn't be a big deal buying the old edition, he would usually bring both copies to class with him. A lot of people returned their books and got the old ones for cheap and didn't seem to have a problem.

I am freaking out because I don't have a book yet for my elective class that only a few 1Ls are taking :/

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:37 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:40 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:Gonna just go with canned briefs and skimming in library before class. :shock:
Lulz, I don't have that book either and I was planning on doing the same thing

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:58 pm

My civpro professor appears to be 25. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Also, still don't have grades. What should I already have done as far as job hunting? Spent the last 3 weeks eating, drinking, and generally dicking around.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:34 pm

emarxnj wrote:My civpro professor appears to be 25. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Also, still don't have grades. What should I already have done as far as job hunting? Spent the last 3 weeks eating, drinking, and generally dicking around.
You should do some job hunting - sooner is always better - but you haven't missed the boat or anything, and eating/drinking/dicking around is very important at this stage, too :)

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:52 pm

thesealocust wrote:
emarxnj wrote:My civpro professor appears to be 25. I'm not sure what to make of that.

You should do some job hunting - sooner is always better - but you haven't missed the boat or anything, and eating/drinking/dicking around is very important at this stage, too :)

I've reached out to some family connections that can hopefully help out. I was under the impression no one really cares much until you have grades though?

Ugh, fucking Chase card services is making buying textbooks a nightmare. WHOA WHOA WHOA this law school student just bought some textbooks, SHUT IT DOWN.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:10 pm

I'm starting to feel like finding summer work is another thing everyone else knows what to do and how to do it and I somehow missed the super-secret meeting where we learned this stuff. Ugh.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:37 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”