TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
clshopeful

Bronze

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Post by clshopeful » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:44 pm

Always hear on TLS how arbitrary 1L grades are.. Is this really true? Did people who felt like they killed their exams end up with a 3.2?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:51 pm

The exams I felt I knew the most for, I generally got lower grades on (because the exam/subject was easy and everyone else knew as much as I did).

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:56 pm

clshopeful wrote:Always hear on TLS how arbitrary 1L grades are.. Is this really true? Did people who felt like they killed their exams end up with a 3.2?
do you know what's a bad predictor of your grades? pretty much anything.
don't read tea leaves. you did how you did, and it'll be fine.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:59 pm

clshopeful wrote:Always hear on TLS how arbitrary 1L grades are.. Is this really true? Did people who felt like they killed their exams end up with a 3.2?
Idk, I was able to kind of predict where I would be at in each of my classes. When I got my grades back each grade made sense to me. I also did a lot of practice tests with people and sort of saw how many issues the average law student in my section would catch, and I could kind of base my performance roughly on that.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:07 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Idk, I was able to kind of predict where I would be at in each of my classes. When I got my grades back each grade made sense to me. I also did a lot of practice tests with people and sort of saw how many issues the average law student in my section would catch, and I could kind of base my performance roughly on that.
Grades making sense when you get them back isn't the same as predicting them, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:48 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
Grades making sense when you get them back isn't the same as predicting them, though.
True, I just meant that I could not tell you for certain what grade I got, but I was usually a half step away. If I thought I got a b I could have gotten a b +, or if I thought I could have gotten an A-, then maybe I got an A. I know people who literally think they failed and end up with an A and vis versa.

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:36 am

Poldy wrote:I didn't say it does, I said it should. If someone is actually disabled then sure, give them accommodations. However, if someone with "ADD" gets 6 hours on the exam instead of 4 and writes 10,000 words instead of the 5,000-7,000 everyone else manages, then they don't have a disability, they are gaming the system.

Anyway, none of this is really in the spirit of an Anxiety Retreat so I'll leave it at that. There is a thread around here somewhere that is all about this topic.
I know numerous people who got extra time for ADHD last year. Two of them received awards for their test in a particular subject, at least two received the highest honor our school gives out and made LR.

That said, other than laughing at how these law schools functions, I don't see why you would get so angry about this.

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:31 pm

Spring semester finals start in a week. Just praying that I pass at this point. How is there so much material? :shock:

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:05 pm

Big Red wrote:Image
qfnp

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:23 pm

Bumping for fall 2016 :D

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:35 am

chicharon

Silver

Post by chicharon » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:11 am

This is me flailing

McChicken

New

Post by McChicken » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:41 pm

This is me bitching.

Took my first final 2 days ago and I still feel terrible. Missed arguments and issues keep haunting me. I just thought about how Defendant had a possible substantial modification defense while I was eating breakfast this morning. I know I need to forget about it and focus on the next 3, but it feels like a really hot ex girlfriend; I just can't let it go. Its not like I can fixate on netflix, video games, or sports to drown my sorrows either because I still have work to do.

I think I did at least decently because I typed a lot and I applied a lot of law to fact. I also did pretty well on my midterms. Just feels like i choked.

Any tips on how to channel this neuroticism into focus?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:21 pm

McChicken wrote:This is me bitching.

Took my first final 2 days ago and I still feel terrible. Missed arguments and issues keep haunting me. I just thought about how Defendant had a possible substantial modification defense while I was eating breakfast this morning. I know I need to forget about it and focus on the next 3, but it feels like a really hot ex girlfriend; I just can't let it go. Its not like I can fixate on netflix, video games, or sports to drown my sorrows either because I still have work to do.

I think I did at least decently because I typed a lot and I applied a lot of law to fact. I also did pretty well on my midterms. Just feels like i choked.

I had something similar happen on my first ever law school exam, felt the same way, ended up still getting a good grade on the exam. It's far too hard to predict--anything is possible so try not to worry about it. You probably did better than you thought if you typed a lot and applied a lot of law to fact.

ugg

Diamond

Post by ugg » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:29 pm

Feeling incredibly nervous.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:25 pm

Bump a dump to get all of us to the holidays.

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:24 pm

ph14 wrote:
McChicken wrote:This is me bitching.

I had something similar happen on my first ever law school exam, felt the same way, ended up still getting a good grade on the exam. It's far too hard to predict--anything is possible so try not to worry about it. You probably did better than you thought if you typed a lot and applied a lot of law to fact.
Sigh. How do you get better at applying law to fact? I want to make sure I focus on this next semester.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:58 pm

Most schools have started by now. How's the gnawing sense of inadequacy treating everyone in 2017?

mtf612

Bronze

Post by mtf612 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:32 pm

thesealocust wrote:Most schools have started by now. How's the gnawing sense of inadequacy treating everyone in 2017?
Just finished orientation and classes begin on Tuesday. Suffering from serious imposter syndrome. Everyone here seems to have worked for the UN, a v10 firm, or accomplished some other amazing feat. I appear to be the only one with crappy softs that attended a TTTT undergrad. Panicking about this semester in a big way right now.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:21 pm

mtf612 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Most schools have started by now. How's the gnawing sense of inadequacy treating everyone in 2017?
Just finished orientation and classes begin on Tuesday. Suffering from serious imposter syndrome. Everyone here seems to have worked for the UN, a v10 firm, or accomplished some other amazing feat. I appear to be the only one with crappy softs that attended a TTTT undergrad. Panicking about this semester in a big way right now.
You'll be fine! It's all just posturing. Plus, a lot of smart and talented people will burn themselves out doing all the wrong things. You're here, you're reading through guides about how to study smart and do well on exams, you're already much further ahead of the curve than you think.

shhhhh it'll be o.k. <3

mtf612

Bronze

Post by mtf612 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:56 pm

thesealocust wrote:
mtf612 wrote:
You'll be fine! It's all just posturing. Plus, a lot of smart and talented people will burn themselves out doing all the wrong things. You're here, you're reading through guides about how to study smart and do well on exams, you're already much further ahead of the curve than you think.

shhhhh it'll be o.k. <3
What if I am still miserable? What if I am still struggling to complete my readings for a single class over the course of three hours? What if I still haven't started outlining? What if I am still feeling lonely and out of place? I'm not sure who or where to turn now. :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:57 pm

mtf612 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
mtf612 wrote:

shhhhh it'll be o.k. <3
What if I am still miserable? What if I am still struggling to complete my readings for a single class over the course of three hours? What if I still haven't started outlining? What if I am still feeling lonely and out of place? I'm not sure who or where to turn now. :(
Hit the gym

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:14 pm

Nebby wrote:
mtf612 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
mtf612 wrote:

shhhhh it'll be o.k. <3
Hit the gym
Great advice. Nebby transfers to Columbia, loses his virginity, and proceeds to be a complete douchebag to everyone outside his clique on TLS. Way to be helpful Mr. male feminist

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:21 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:Great advice. Nebby transfers to Columbia, loses his virginity, and proceeds to be a complete douchebag to everyone outside his clique on TLS. Way to be helpful Mr. male feminist
I am impressed at your ability to compile multiple non sequiturs into each post you vomit

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:41 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:Great advice. Nebby transfers to Columbia, loses his virginity, and proceeds to be a complete douchebag to everyone outside his clique on TLS. Way to be helpful Mr. male feminist
Came into this thread cause I forgot 1Ls existed, and found this gem. Sometimes TLS isn't the worst.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”