TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Gold

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Post by 052220152 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:14 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:
Wahrheit wrote:I've felt like I understood CivPro in class all quarter, but reviewing for the final, it just feels like so much information and I don't know what I need to cover / whether I understand anything enough. The crippling self-doubt is setting in.
civ pro is the easiest 1L class. you're probably boned if youre this lost this close to the exam. just go get an upper classman's outline and hope that you get a lucky bounce
I have my outline, I have a cornucopia of outlines from upperclassmen, and I feel like I understand stuff. It just feels like CivPro is a subject where there could always be some exception that I forgot to include. There are so many details.
ok well if you understand my advice is to chill out and dont be a neurotic dork. go drink a beer and read your outline, everything will be fine.

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:15 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:18 pm

thesealocust wrote:The first step to being kinda-good at something is being comically awful at something. It is the way of things.

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:04 pm

ugh first final today...torts. Thought the 250 points of issue spotting went ok, however there was 60 points of math (settlement numbers for comparative negligence, i think i explained the steps right but pretty sure i did the math wrong, wish the prof spent more then 15 minutes on the last day of class on this stuff).

merlin-

New

Post by merlin- » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:11 pm

Just found out that one of my classmates gets half of the time extra on the exam (so 4 hours exam = 6).

Makes me super pissed, because most of the exams are so time constrained, extra time is SUCH a big difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post by PourMeTea » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:31 pm

merlin- wrote:Just found out that one of my classmates gets half of the time extra on the exam (so 4 hours exam = 6).

Makes me super pissed, because most of the exams are so time constrained, extra time is SUCH a big difference.
I'm sure there's a good reason, though. Schools definitely have stringent requirements for this. You'll be okay.

merlin-

New

Post by merlin- » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:37 pm

PourMeTea wrote:
merlin- wrote:Just found out that one of my classmates gets half of the time extra on the exam (so 4 hours exam = 6).

I'm sure there's a good reason, though. Schools definitely have stringent requirements for this. You'll be okay.
He has "ADD," I know the kid. Completely slacked off the entire semester, while being very confident he would be ok.

Clearly my school isn't one of those. Ah whatever, still pretty annoying though.

foundingfather

Silver

Post by foundingfather » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:22 pm

Calbears123 wrote:ugh first final today...torts. Thought the 250 points of issue spotting went ok, however there was 60 points of math (settlement numbers for comparative negligence, i think i explained the steps right but pretty sure i did the math wrong, wish the prof spent more then 15 minutes on the last day of class on this stuff).
>expecting law students to math

you'll be fine

Poldy

Silver

Post by Poldy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:30 pm

merlin- wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:

He has "ADD," I know the kid. Completely slacked off the entire semester, while being very confident he would be ok.

Clearly my school isn't one of those. Ah whatever, still pretty annoying though.
This happens everywhere. I think that if you get extra time from "ADD" or whatever else and turn in an exam that is significantly longer than any of the others it should raise serious suspicions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:35 pm

merlin- wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:

I believe you missed her sarcasm as WUSTL fucked a lot of 1Ls last year, but it's okay. Relax.

merlin-

New

Post by merlin- » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:27 am

KMart wrote:
merlin- wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:

I believe you missed her sarcasm as WUSTL fucked a lot of 1Ls last year, but it's okay. Relax.
Yeah, I wasn't aware about WUSTL, but not surprised.

As to the other poster who said that it raises some suspicious, no it doesn't raise an issue, because Professors can't penalize someone for being "disabled" as stupid that sounds---especially for exams that do not take points, simply give points...

Poldy

Silver

Post by Poldy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:39 am

I didn't say it does, I said it should. If someone is actually disabled then sure, give them accommodations. However, if someone with "ADD" gets 6 hours on the exam instead of 4 and writes 10,000 words instead of the 5,000-7,000 everyone else manages, then they don't have a disability, they are gaming the system.

Anyway, none of this is really in the spirit of an Anxiety Retreat so I'll leave it at that. There is a thread around here somewhere that is all about this topic.

merlin-

New

Post by merlin- » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:53 am

Poldy wrote:I didn't say it does, I said it should. If someone is actually disabled then sure, give them accommodations. However, if someone with "ADD" gets 6 hours on the exam instead of 4 and writes 10,000 words instead of the 5,000-7,000 everyone else manages, then they don't have a disability, they are gaming the system.

Anyway, none of this is really in the spirit of an Anxiety Retreat so I'll leave it at that. There is a thread around here somewhere that is all about this topic.
Certainly agree with you. That's the problem, seems so unfair and easy for some people to do that. But yeah, back to anxiety retreat.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:02 pm

It may be time to embrace below median for Torts...

jayessbee

New

Post by jayessbee » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:56 pm

Not a 1L, but I'm off to my Wills and Trusts final and I feel like a dead man walking.

Mono

New

Post by Mono » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:40 pm

I felt really good about my performance on my first exam. Then during dinner I suddenly realized that I had missed an opportunity to cover some very obvious issues that I guarantee the rest of the class saw and heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Is there still a chance I will be at least median? Or is this the sort of mistake that the bottom 10% are known for?

xael

Platinum

Post by xael » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:25 am

Mono wrote:I felt really good about my performance on my first exam. Then during dinner I suddenly realized that I had missed an opportunity to cover some very obvious issues that I guarantee the rest of the class saw and heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Is there still a chance I will be at least median? Or is this the sort of mistake that the bottom 10% are known for?
You definitely are not the only person to miss issues, even if you think they are obvious, and even if you did, the way most professors grade is with a checklist. Oh you missed a 10 point issue? It's okay, you found 7 other 1 point issues!

You definitely can still be at median. Take a deep breath, and move on to the next one.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:49 am

Mono wrote:I felt really good about my performance on my first exam. Then during dinner I suddenly realized that I had missed an opportunity to cover some very obvious issues that I guarantee the rest of the class saw and heaven knows I'm miserable now.

If you thought you got every issue there'd be reason to worry.

jayessbee

New

Post by jayessbee » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:41 am

jayessbee wrote:Not a 1L, but I'm off to my Wills and Trusts final and I feel like a dead man walking.
Fuck that test. Fuck that test hard.

You are guarantied at least median if you showed up and wrote a bunch of words down on vaguely related topics to the issues. Accept it as the minimum consolation prize to law school, and know that, because you have low expectations, anything higher will be a jolt to the system.

foundingfather

Silver

Post by foundingfather » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:16 pm

xael wrote:

You definitely are not the only person to miss issues, even if you think they are obvious, and even if you did, the way most professors grade is with a checklist. Oh you missed a 10 point issue? It's okay, you found 7 other 1 point issues!

You definitely can still be at median. Take a deep breath, and move on to the next one.
this. I did really well on a torts final without mentioning negligence once on the issue spotter.... but I had my econ shit down and distinguished between restatements and jurisdictions for everything else

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:09 pm

xael wrote:

I think TLS as a whole overhypes wordcount and issuespotting as far as performance yardsticks go. Yeah, it's caveated as it's necessary but not sufficient but still... imo disproportionally weighted. Being articulate and persuasive goes a long way, especially in making the leap from median to latin honors. It's pretty much why people with Journalism backgrounds tend to do so well.

... probably (1) advice that would have been relevant 3 weeks ago and (2) advice that I need to give myself

eta:
foundingfather wrote: I did really well on a torts final without mentioning negligence once on the issue spotter.... but I had my econ shit down and distinguished between restatements and jurisdictions for everything else
that's borderline unbelievable but it just goes to show - you're taking your prof, not the class.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:21 pm

I don't know, I had a prof thank me for writing well on the exam at the same time he told me it wouldn't get me any extra points. And I've had profs who were absolutely fine with bullet points. it's very prof specific. Some questions really are about word count and issues spotted. Some are absolutely not. Some are a bit of both.

So to get back to the point of the thread: don't worry about what people are saying about what works or doesn't if it doesn't fit with what you experienced. You will all be fine. You're almost through your exams!

foundingfather

Silver

Post by foundingfather » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:47 pm

pancakes3 wrote: that's borderline unbelievable but it just goes to show - you're taking your prof, not the class.
our final was products-liability heavy (I knew both restatements cold) and I think I wrote one of the best answers to the policy question. + journalism background

ETA: grades are a crapshoot

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:12 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't know, I had a prof thank me for writing well on the exam at the same time he told me it wouldn't get me any extra points. And I've had profs who were absolutely fine with bullet points. it's very prof specific. Some questions really are about word count and issues spotted. Some are absolutely not. Some are a bit of both.

So to get back to the point of the thread: don't worry about what people are saying about what works or doesn't if it doesn't fit with what you experienced. You will all be fine. You're almost through your exams!
I turned in a practice exam to a torts professor and he snarkily thanked me for letting him read my first novel.

I ended up getting an A.....I guess the novel I wrote during the exam was somewhat more captivating. You just never, ever know.

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:28 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”