TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:21 am

stillwater wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Third all-nighter since Tuesday. No good explanation as to why. Feel essentially compelled to do it, in a not-even-really-a-decision kind of way.

Feels like sort of the reverse of last semester, where I felt like shit even though logically things were okay. This semester, sense says my habits are unhealthy, but I'm feeling weirdly calm.
all-nighters are unnecessary and useless. you need to become more efficient, not more prolific after a semester you found to be disappointing.
I'm well aware it isn't a solution at all. That's the strange thing. I would not have been to avoid doing it if I tried.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:31 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:I would not have been to avoid doing it if I tried.
I think he's snapped.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:41 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Third all-nighter since Tuesday. No good explanation as to why. Feel essentially compelled to do it, in a not-even-really-a-decision kind of way.

Feels like sort of the reverse of last semester, where I felt like shit even though logically things were okay. This semester, sense says my habits are unhealthy, but I'm feeling weirdly calm.
all-nighters are unnecessary and useless. you need to become more efficient, not more prolific after a semester you found to be disappointing.
I'm well aware it isn't a solution at all. That's the strange thing. I would not have been to avoid doing it if I tried.
you should take a couple weeks off from the law. hangout, chill, explore NYC. find a way to put law school into perspective. just do something non-legal, whether it be go to a museum or roll dice in some alleyway with new "friends"

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:11 pm

What are you doing during these all night study sessions? Seems like this early in the semester there isn't nearly enough material to keep you going.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:12 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
stillwater wrote:

So you're aware it's dumb and doing it anyway? Alright bro.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:22 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:

What are you doing during these all night study sessions? Seems like this early in the semester there isn't nearly enough material to keep you going.
Maybe he's spending his time grinding on his LPW brief so he can get that killer HP?

Mono, you know that I'm a fan of marathon work sessions, but when I'd pound out a long day of reading on the weekend I'd do it so I could spend the rest of the week relaxing and doing nothing. You're probably amply prepared for class. I agree with stillwater: take some time off and go do something in the city. Go on a date. Buy a movie voucher and see a movie. (I don't know if they take vouchers but the AMC on 84th is supposed to be great—they have reclining seats!) Go on a hunt for the best burger in the city.

1L can be a great time. You just need to learn to let go.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:06 pm

With moot court regionals in 1.5 weeks and job apps/interviews, I dont even have energy to stress about finishing every class reading. If you are trying to finish them all, including elective, and actually know the stuff, I think you're overdoing it. Or Im just miserably far behind.

I knew these first weeks would be atrocious, so I actually bought supplements this semester and have been using them to fill in a few gaps.

More importantly mono, you'll burn yourself out faster with all nighters, and just collapse and/or become manically depressive. I know shit is crazy. Except for the occasional dinner or firm cocktail event, I don't even go out any more. Sealocusts ideas may be ambitious right now, but definitely dont kill yourself over readings and get 6+ hrs regularly. Also exercise

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:07 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:18 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:With moot court regionals in 1.5 weeks and job apps/interviews, I dont even have energy to stress about finishing every class reading. If you are trying to finish them all, including elective, and actually know the stuff, I think you're overdoing it. Or Im just miserably far behind.

I knew these first weeks would be atrocious, so I actually bought supplements this semester and have been using them to fill in a few gaps.

More importantly mono, you'll burn yourself out faster with all nighters, and just collapse and/or become manically depressive. I know shit is crazy. Except for the occasional dinner or firm cocktail event, I don't even go out any more. Sealocusts ideas may be ambitious right now, but definitely dont kill yourself over readings and get 6+ hrs regularly. Also exercise
Speaking of TSL, where did he go?
Gusher overdose most likely.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

notgreat

Silver

Post by notgreat » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:21 pm

He said something about hating everyone and everything after that idiot Blackhat shat all over a couple of threads. He's been gone since then.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:25 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:28 pm

He's probably on a giant deal right now. He'll be back.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:46 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:56 pm

jbagelboy wrote:With moot court regionals in 1.5 weeks and job apps/interviews, I dont even have energy to stress about finishing every class reading. If you are trying to finish them all, including elective, and actually know the stuff, I think you're overdoing it. Or Im just miserably far behind.

I'll second this, but Mono, I wouldn't read jbagel's post to suggest this level of work is typical at this point in the semester. (He's way more on top of our moot, and he's been doing a lot more job stuff than me—I think he probably agrees that once we do the oral round we're going to have enough time for everything.) I guess I've heard of some high LPW workloads, but it's LPW. Beyond that, you should have the time to get readings done and make some evening or weekend things.

If you feel like you are "compelled" to be pulling all-nighters, you should talk to someone about it to figure out why; it's not healthy. I should have said this when I saw you last night, but hopefully it's more convincing at a more reasonable hour. This can be me, or any of your other friends. We're happy to talk about whatever, and we don't want to see you burn yourself out. Heck, you can go talk to the drop-in person who's at CLS each week if you'd rather have a new face.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:10 pm

I didn't even know you could do moot court as a 1L. Why would you take on shit like that?

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:37 pm

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:42 am

lunaraeon wrote:

I'll second this, but Mono, I wouldn't read jbagel's post to suggest this level of work is typical at this point in the semester. (He's way more on top of our moot, and he's been doing a lot more job stuff than me—I think he probably agrees that once we do the oral round we're going to have enough time for everything.) I guess I've heard of some high LPW workloads, but it's LPW. Beyond that, you should have the time to get readings done and make some evening or weekend things.

If you feel like you are "compelled" to be pulling all-nighters, you should talk to someone about it to figure out why; it's not healthy. I should have said this when I saw you last night, but hopefully it's more convincing at a more reasonable hour. This can be me, or any of your other friends. We're happy to talk about whatever, and we don't want to see you burn yourself out. Heck, you can go talk to the drop-in person who's at CLS each week if you'd rather have a new face.
Lol Im definitely not more on top of anything. I guess my point is the same as yours, its a busy time but it should be manageable without all-nighters, and with a little extra time for relaxing. I guess part of the reason I havent been going out as much is 1) being sick and 2) that Im completely broke - like didnt take out enough loans to cover rent for the semester and overdrafted my checking account and had to draw on credit card/..parental loan broke - so bar tabs are not a great investment right now. Everyone has their own worries I guess.

And ditto on the talk to any of us/anyone thing

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:17 pm

how do i legal research and writing pls advise

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:33 pm

emarxnj wrote:how do i legal research and writing pls advise
Chuck computer out window, drop out, profit

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:37 pm

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
I think most of my classrooms are windowless for this very reason

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:41 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:01 am

brotherdarkness wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
I think most of my classrooms are windowless for this very reason
More likely it's to prevent you from jumping out.

But for an honest answer, spend some time browsing around Westlaw and Lexis and look at secondary sources to get an overview of the relevant area of law and the most influential cases in that area. Then start crafting an outline with headings, subheadings, etc. Start filling in the gaps, have the professor or a fellow student review your drafts, profit.
The school has a big 5 level rotunda, I don't doubt people have considered it.

My TA and professor are both very helpful, it's just starting the research that gets me. I might try checking out some secondary source to get a grip on things.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:57 pm

How has this thread slipped so far?

Having another LRW meltdown. I can't get any kind of cohesive thought together, I can't write point headings, and I want to punch my plaintiff in the face.

samcro_op

Silver

Post by samcro_op » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:59 pm

emarxnj wrote:How has this thread slipped so far?

Having another LRW meltdown. I can't get any kind of cohesive thought together, I can't write point headings, and I want to punch my plaintiff in the face.
I didn't write close to the line limit on my draft because I am dumb and misread the prompt. So yeah I basically have three pages still to go on my brief and will get no feedback on them :( fml but I am trying to not to care, I don't have time to.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:04 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”