TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Hoosiers

New

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Post by Hoosiers » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:11 pm

thesealocust wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Question about crim exams. I'm wondering how one really pulls away from the pack on this exam? It seems like a lot of it is going to be cut and dry, is it just about trying to interpret the facts for either side, and applying ever charge feasible? It just seems like there is a lot less room for interpretation. I'm not worried about knowing the material, I do, and it's open book (great OL from brotherdarkness BTW, kudos), but it seems like everyone should have pretty similar answers. Hope that makes sense.
Exam anxiety thread, not an exam advice thread.

You will be fine : )
Hoosiers wrote:Someone help talk me off the ledge.

Walked out of K's on Monday feeling positive and confident. I felt that the test was pretty straightforward, but last night I realized that I missed something I could have talked about and that I probably missed a multiple choice question, and it has pretty much wrecked my confidence. My inner monologue is like, "If you missed that, and you though the test wasn't too bad, what ELSE did yo miss?"

Anyone have a similar feeling?
Step away from the edge friend! Those after-the-fact "oh god I missed ____" realizations happen ALL the time. It doesn't mean anything and it can be treated with liquor.
Ya'll rock

samcro_op

Silver

Post by samcro_op » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:23 am

chem! wrote:Last exam was almost a week ago, but I'm still having Civ Pro nightmares and my jaw muscles are sore from stress-clenching. Sigh.
I just started doing this in law school too! I've used more ibuprofen this semester than ever!

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:38 pm

I've been having law school dreams every night since finals ended. not necessarily bad ones either. i wasnt even all that stressed out before/during finals but i guess subconsciously, i was!

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:11 pm

thesealocust wrote:
chem! wrote:Last exam was almost a week ago, but I'm still having Civ Pro nightmares and my jaw muscles are sore from stress-clenching. Sigh.
Exam memories can't swim in liquor!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

espressocream

Bronze

Post by espressocream » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:43 pm

grades come out today for us. i haven't gotten mine yet, but others have and i'm afraid of my computer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:55 pm

espressocream wrote:grades come out today for us. i haven't gotten mine yet, but others have and i'm afraid of my computer.
buck up

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:56 pm

Welcome back friends!

Good luck with the grade waiting. It's a very anxious time.

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:17 pm

Enjoyed anticipating grades more than getting them

espressocream

Bronze

Post by espressocream » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:56 pm

this is the part when i go to the "should i drop out" thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:04 pm

espressocream wrote:this is the part when i go to the "should i drop out" thread.
Whether you should or not, law school is still pointless bullshit. Stay in, conquer it, struggle with it, jump ship, do something else. There's more to life, law school just tricks you into thinking it's all that matters.

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:58 pm

espressocream wrote:this is the part when i go to the "should i drop out" thread.
Hold it until the end of the year then ask.

ETA: Unless you really did put all you have into it and you don't think it's going to get better. In which case follow TSL's advice anyway.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:26 pm

danitt wrote:
Hold it until the end of the year then ask.

ETA: Unless you really did put all you have into it and you don't think it's going to get better. In which case follow TSL's advice anyway.
I feel like that by this point you've already paid tuition. And second semester can bring about big changes, including getting a good summer internship. If it happens 2 semesters in the end, then yea maybe that's when you have that conversation.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:09 pm

Should I be concerned if my worst grade is in LRW? I hear that's the only class employers actually care about, and I got below median.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:14 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:Should I be concerned if my worst grade is in LRW? I hear that's the only class employers actually care about, and I got below median.
That's the opposite of true if you're gunning for the traditional big firm hiring path (i.e. they care about your GPA and really don't give a rats ass about individual grades, LRW or otherwise).

Can't speak to other paths, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Even people who got good grades and/or who value good grades as employers understand that they are very random and flukey, and "poor" grades often still represent hard effort and intelligence.

That was one of my biggest revelations as a 1L - by and large, law professors and the legal world venerate high grades, but nobody really thinks poor or mediocre grades mean you're dumb, untalented or unmotivated, because everyone knows how random and chaotic can be. It's a very odd system.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:18 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:Should I be concerned if my worst grade is in LRW? I hear that's the only class employers actually care about, and I got below median.
no more than the extent it hurts your gpa, imo. lots of interviewers consider lrw just as artificial and useless as doctrinal classes. just have a go-to answer in case anyone asks (legal writing is new and challenging but you've made big strides, you're further honing it through journal/student org/mock trial/class/whatever, etc), which i assure you won't happen as much as you think.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:23 pm

Thanks, guys. Luckily LRW is only 2 credits, so my GPA wasn't affected much. Good to know it won't send a red flag to all firms. I wish we had the same prof both semesters so I could really try to hammer out what she likes from my memo feedback, but maybe I'll do better with a different prof ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:29 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:02 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:Thanks, guys. Luckily LRW is only 2 credits, so my GPA wasn't affected much. Good to know it won't send a red flag to all firms. I wish we had the same prof both semesters so I could really try to hammer out what she likes from my memo feedback, but maybe I'll do better with a different prof ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's my lowest grade, too, and we have the same professor both semester. I wish I got a new professor.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:05 pm

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:Thanks, guys. Luckily LRW is only 2 credits, so my GPA wasn't affected much. Good to know it won't send a red flag to all firms. I wish we had the same prof both semesters so I could really try to hammer out what she likes from my memo feedback, but maybe I'll do better with a different prof ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's my lowest grade, too, and we have the same professor both semester. I wish I got a new professor.
It's my lowest grade, too, and we have the same professor both semesters. I don't really care if I got a new professor. ლ(ಠ益ಠლ sits right behind me in class.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:19 pm

TheThriller wrote:
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
It's my lowest grade, too, and we have the same professor both semesters. I don't really care if I got a new professor. ლ(ಠ益ಠლ sits right behind me in class.
I have no idea how our LRW was even graded. The whole thing just seems random.

On another note, CAN I JUST HAVE MY LAST FUCKING GRADE ALREADY?!?!?!?

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:24 pm

Actually what I think I really need is a new LRW section. Everyone is really smart and diligent in mine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:27 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:29 pm

arklaw13 wrote: I have no idea how our LRW was even graded. The whole thing just seems random.

On another note, CAN I JUST HAVE MY LAST FUCKING GRADE ALREADY?!?!?!?
That 'I'll have it up by Friday' shtick was some 180 trolling

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:35 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:Actually what I think I really need is a new LRW section. Everyone is really smart and diligent in mine.
thats some cop-out BS… you are smarter than that… what were your weaknesses in LRW?

time to boost that grade next semester.
I have no idea. I haven't picked up my memo yet. I also turned in a small completion grade assignment late, and I probably got no credit for that. I already had a meltdown over that when it happened and it won't happen again but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:41 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”