TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
thesealocust

Platinum

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Post by thesealocust » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:26 pm

AlanShore wrote:I have a prof that has never taught the class before. How can I practice for that class? Find other exams? I feel like I understand the material okay but it's hard to know until it's time to issue spot.
Same way as any other class really - it's always a crapshoot how much material the professor will make available from past classes to help you study, even having somebody who has been at it for 20 years doesn't guarantee any insight in how the exam will go. Don't let it psych you out.
jsmith201 wrote:My anxiety levels are off the charts. I did well in the first closed memo, but I am completely lost on the graded open memo. Not due for another week but a lot if my classmates already have it done. Worried that I will totally mess this up
It's hard to say what the best response to this kind of anxiety is. Everyone comes from a different angle. To me, what helped was realizing that my self-worth was not tied to my law school performance. It was another challenge but not the end or the final goal or anything especially significant. Give it your best, and live your life on your terms whatever the results are. Everyone else is nervous and scared shitless too.

sf_39

New

Post by sf_39 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:31 pm

Just had midterms and was really eye-opening how much the advice of sealocust and everyone at TLS helped. Of course I have no marks back yet. Prior to the exam people were stressing out about case names, and particular minutiae in the law, while I was quietly reviewing some E&E's and making sure I knew the forks in the law and the rationales. Exams come and I immediately spot the forks and find the ways to argue both sides well. Some of my classmates when we talked after did not see those issues, argued only one side, or wrote a book on a legal topic. It was also eye-opening to see that you really didn't need to know a TON of law, but just had to be in a situation to apply it really well.

The help has been great for the last 6 months I've read TLS but it was a relief to use the guidance in practice.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:40 pm

sf_39 wrote:Just had midterms and was really eye-opening how much the advice of sealocust and everyone at TLS helped. Of course I have no marks back yet. Prior to the exam people were stressing out about case names, and particular minutiae in the law, while I was quietly reviewing some E&E's and making sure I knew the forks in the law and the rationales. Exams come and I immediately spot the forks and find the ways to argue both sides well. Some of my classmates when we talked after did not see those issues, argued only one side, or wrote a book on a legal topic. It was also eye-opening to see that you really didn't need to know a TON of law, but just had to be in a situation to apply it really well.

The help has been great for the last 6 months I've read TLS but it was a relief to use the guidance in practice.
Sounds like you've got some great insights already! Keep it up and good luck with the rest of your coursework.

Merylian

Silver

Post by Merylian » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:18 pm

Having a hard time relaxing over fall break/writing week when I'm certain I have some classmates that are going to spend the entirety of it slaving on their memos. Graded LARW is just terrible.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:23 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:33 pm

Never worry about what other people are doing. They're lost and putting on airs.

You need to work hard to do well at law school, which hopefully is obvious by now, but success is not determined by who works the hardest and hopeless grinding is not necessary.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:37 pm

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:39 pm

Yep. There's really no way to know how people will react to being locked in a room with a fact pattern and a keyboard for 4 hours just by listening to them in class / watching them study in the library.

Merylian

Silver

Post by Merylian » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:19 pm

slackademic wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Never worry about what other people are doing. They're lost and putting on airs.

You need to work hard to do well at law school, which hopefully is obvious by now, but success is not determined by who works the hardest and hopeless grinding is not necessary.
Yeah... I was really freaked out for a couple weeks at how well everyone knew the material. Then I realized most of them were saying different things. Then I realized they were actually just making totally incorrect inferences which were contradicted by the lecture.

A lot of the "putting on airs" just boils down to personality. I'm sure some of the people who are really assertive about their opinions will eventually do very well on exams, but probably a lot of people who don't seem to "get it" will too.
I've had a little trouble with this too. I try to keep reminding myself none of us know anything, and that just because someone's analysis is way different than mine doesn't mean it's right.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:26 pm

My weekend is being spent hopelessly grinding.

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:50 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:My weekend is being spent hopelessly grinding.
if you don't mind, what section are you in?

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:00 am

I am unable to drink during the week any more because it makes it impossible to absorb the material, unlike undergrad. The sobriety is killing me. Please advise.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:32 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:I am unable to drink during the week any more because it makes it impossible to absorb the material, unlike undergrad. The sobriety is killing me. Please advise.
drink less during the week?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:33 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:I am unable to drink during the week any more because it makes it impossible to absorb the material, unlike undergrad. The sobriety is killing me. Please advise.

Moderation...as in get shitfaced all weekend.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:05 pm

Shoooooooots?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:19 pm

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:03 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:07 pm

nickb285 wrote:Is everyone in law school more qualified than I am? I didn't do much in undergrad, wasn't a part of any student groups, no significant volunteer work, and completely irrelevant work experience (i.e. the kinds of jobs you can get with a Poli Sci degree and a 3.1 GPA). Now I'm looking at sample resumes/cover letters for the kinds of jobs I want to do (public interest and government), all of which are fleshed out by people describing extensive experience in the area. Somehow I don't think that saying "I like hiking" is going to cut it for getting a position with an environmental nonprofit when it seems like everyone else has "oh yeah, I was a park ranger my summer after the Peace Corps while I studied for the LSAT," nor will my dislike of rapists and desire to see more of them in prison outweigh someone else's three years as a paralegal, during which they were also volunteering with a women's shelter, should we both decide to apply to a prosecutor's office. Am I totally screwed for having acted like an average 20-something?
no and no

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:18 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:29 pm

sublime wrote:I haven't had any motivation to really do anything in the past week. Like, including going to class some days, which is weird, because I didn't skip much in UG. It's not even like I am that burned out, since I haven't done much, I just am rapidly losing motivation.

We have a long weekend so I am probably going to catch up then, but it just seems like two of my classes are a complete waste of time.

I feel the same way. One class is just reading the MPC, while in my Torts class we spend the whole time circling the drain before we finally arrive at *gasp* the rule I already have in my notes. I've only skipped one class so far, but it's becoming tempting

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:48 pm

nickb285 wrote:Is everyone in law school more qualified than I am? I didn't do much in undergrad, wasn't a part of any student groups, no significant volunteer work, and completely irrelevant work experience (i.e. the kinds of jobs you can get with a Poli Sci degree and a 3.1 GPA). Now I'm looking at sample resumes/cover letters for the kinds of jobs I want to do (public interest and government), all of which are fleshed out by people describing extensive experience in the area. Somehow I don't think that saying "I like hiking" is going to cut it for getting a position with an environmental nonprofit when it seems like everyone else has "oh yeah, I was a park ranger my summer after the Peace Corps while I studied for the LSAT," nor will my dislike of rapists and desire to see more of them in prison outweigh someone else's three years as a paralegal, during which they were also volunteering with a women's shelter, should we both decide to apply to a prosecutor's office. Am I totally screwed for having acted like an average 20-something?
I liking hiking will cut it in a lot of places. You'll be fine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:45 pm

I don't really know what law review or journals are. I know you want to make it on to one, but I don't really know what they do. Also, does anyone else get a million emails a day about every single club? My school doesn't seem to understand mailing lists, so if theirs a special secret meeting for the Black Jewish Transgender Space Law society, I get to hear about it. Do employers really give a shit that you went to a meeting for some pizza?

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:53 pm

you'll wanna be in a few clubs because "tell me about [club x]" is a go-to question for bored interviewers, but no one truly cares what you do in the club. feel free to ignore emails from groups you're not interested in. i set up my filters so emails from unwanted organizations are marked as read immediately upon arriving in my inbox. i do this so i can go back and read them if i feel like free food.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:58 pm

soj wrote:you'll wanna be in a few clubs because "tell me about [club x]" is a go-to question for bored interviewers, but no one truly cares what you do in the club. feel free to ignore emails from groups you're not interested in. i set up my filters so emails from unwanted organizations are marked as read immediately upon arriving in my inbox. i do this so i can go back and read them if i feel like free food.

Yeah I went to one (Business and something club) just because the pizza smelled so goddamn good when I was starving. Good call on something to talk about with interviewers though. I'll pick a few.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:04 pm

emarxnj wrote:I don't really know what law review or journals are. I know you want to make it on to one, but I don't really know what they do. Also, does anyone else get a million emails a day about every single club? My school doesn't seem to understand mailing lists, so if theirs a special secret meeting for the Black Jewish Transgender Space Law society, I get to hear about it. Do employers really give a shit that you went to a meeting for some pizza?
Journals are a pointless pyramid scheme that allows professors to write shells of articles without bothering to cite sources. It's literally a massive circlejerk that's somehow perpetuated forever even though nobody reads journal articles, cites journal articles, or cares about the existence of journal articles outside of law school professors.

Having said that, law review is a big law school cultural Thing - it's very selective either by a writing competition or by 1L grades, and as such is seen as a strong signaling mechanism. Being on law review is worse than getting run over by a lawn mower, and the people who "run" the law review are inevitably the people who have lost all sense of self in the echo chamber of law school.

Other journals are kind of pointless, but require much less work, and can be decent resume padding (but you're chiefly looking to make yourself not look like a hermit - lack of them could stand out, but it's not like you really get gold stars for being on one).

Clubs and extracurricular are just that, they'll never have a major effect on tipping the scales in an employment decision.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”