Winter break as 1L - need to stick around?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
hellojd

Winter break as 1L - need to stick around?

Postby hellojd » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Hey guys,

I'm a 1L, and I know it's really early for this but I'm starting to think out travel plans for the winter break since I plan to go overseas to visit some family. My question is, as long as I do the necessary mailings and apps starting around Dec 1st, is there any need to stick around and be "accessible" via phone during the break? I'll have intermittent internet access, but more specifically I'm wondering for 1L firm gigs or PI jobs people start conducting networking events or interviews 1st or 2nd week of January.

Thanks!

Gorki

Re: Winter break as 1L - need to stick around?

Postby Gorki » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:24 pm

My concern here is that some firms schedule the interviews during Xmas break cause they know what is when you are most available... Now the reality of this is, not to be too big of a dick, that this should not be too big of a deal for your plans because 1L SAs are a rare beast.

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:45 pm

Gorki wrote:My concern here is that some firms schedule the interviews during Xmas break cause they know what is when you are most available... Now the reality of this is, not to be too big of a dick, that this should not be too big of a deal for your plans because 1L SAs are a rare beast.

Thanks for the reply. I do definitely realize they are hard to come by, although it seems somewhat possible in my circumstances (CCN, would likely qualify for diversity gigs) so just wanted to throw it out there. But I'm also curious about PI stuff as well and their timetables.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:47 pm

Hiring in New York for 1L SA's tends to happen a littler later, so you should be okay if that's where you're looking.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:34 am

i dont know about traveling, dude.

winter break is the perfect time to get your supplements outlined.

Totalimmortal

Postby Totalimmortal » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:35 pm

hellojd wrote:Hey guys,

I'm a 1L, and I know it's really early for this but I'm starting to think out travel plans for the winter break since I plan to go overseas to visit some family. My question is, as long as I do the necessary mailings and apps starting around Dec 1st, is there any need to stick around and be "accessible" via phone during the break? I'll have intermittent internet access, but more specifically I'm wondering for 1L firm gigs or PI jobs people start conducting networking events or interviews 1st or 2nd week of January.

Thanks!

Lol, December 1st. Go visit your family old sport.

Totalimmortal

Postby Totalimmortal » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:35 pm

mephistopheles wrote:i dont know about traveling, dude.

winter break is the perfect time to get your supplements outlined.

In on roll bread. Top lel.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”