Visiting Student?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Connor Benz

Visiting Student?

Postby Connor Benz » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:17 pm

If I wanted to be a visiting student, how does this work? I'm reading the website of different schools and some schools state that the course must be one that is not offered at your home institution? Is this true? Is the visiting student application competitive? Would it help transfer probability to visit first and then apply as a transfer the next quarter?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Visiting Student?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:25 pm

I'm pretty sure that at most schools, you can't visit as a 1L; I've only ever heard of people doing it for 3L. Quick googling shows a number of schools that require you either to have completed your 1L year or be visiting in your 3L year, and forbid visiting students from transferring. So it wouldn't work to improve transfer chances. Beyond that I don't know anything about how competitive it is.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:27 pm

Connor Benz wrote:If I wanted to be a visiting student, how does this work? I'm reading the website of different schools and some schools state that the course must be one that is not offered at your home institution? Is this true? Is the visiting student application competitive? Would it help transfer probability to visit first and then apply as a transfer the next quarter?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Are you going into law school planning to transfer?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:27 pm

It is competitive depending on the school. And visiting/transferring is mutually exclusive.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:29 pm

I do know someone who visited then Xfered. They definitely didn't have the 1L grades to xfer, but they did well once they were here. There were some special circumstances though.

Connor Benz

Postby Connor Benz » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Well since I can't visit as a 1L, there is not point of me looking. The school has a program where you can study and intern simultaneously, I wanted to take advantage of this since my school does not offer this. (The intern relates to the course btw so it's more than just earning credits). I figured I can do this over the summer.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:48 pm

I have only heard of students visiting to a lower ranked school. E.g. two students from t25s visiting at my regional TTT b/c spousal relocations to this area. They did not visit this place for its prestige... but they also worked at the biggest firms in this area this summer, so really they are only here to wind out 3LOL.

Connor Benz

Postby Connor Benz » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:13 pm

So if you try to visit to the T6, the school won't allow it?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Currently a visiting student. The difficult part of visiting is getting permission from your home/degree-granting school. You have to have a reason. Some schools require a very compelling reason--like a spouse's job--while others are a little more lenient and might allow it for a certain niche course of study (like entertainment law) that isn't offered at the home school. But you have to have a reason.

Also, you have to pay sticker tuition at the new school. You don't get your scholarship from your home school to apply to the visiting school.

I don't think it's typically difficult to get accepted at the visiting school, provided they have space. Considering how class sizes have shrunk recently, most probably have space.

I know a girl who was at a TTTT who studied at U Illinois her last year when her husband started med school. I'm a T1 student studying at a TT, and another of my classmates from the T1 is studying at a T14. It's really more location-based than ranking-based because the compelling reasons are typically geographically related. Also because you're not getting a degree from the visiting school, so the ranking only matters as far as the quality of their symplicity listings.

Don't start out law school with the intent to transfer or visit, thought. Go where you want from the start.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”