Chances of curve killing Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
StephenMU19

New

Chances of curve killing

Post by StephenMU19 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:15 pm

Do all law schools have an idiot who announces TLS secrets on the class facebook page. I swear to god I'm going to batter this guy who is already assembling exam prep groups, which I introduced to him at a moment of weakness, for the entire class to participate in. Small entering class of 129.

Advantage to me for this assembling of the masses or no?

Nova

Platinum

Re: Chances of curve killing

Post by Nova » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:18 pm

Doing what everyone else is doing = median pwnd

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:19 pm

dude, what are you talking about?

StephenMU19

New

Post by StephenMU19 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Figured as much.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:47 pm

Do you really think something a dude posts on a Facebook group is gonna kill the curve? What the hell kind of silver bullet do you think you have?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:48 pm

splitsplat wrote:dude, what are you talking about?
OP you do realize that most people meet with groups for exam prep, right?

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:53 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Do you really think something a dude posts on a Facebook group is gonna kill the curve? What the hell kind of silver bullet do you think you have?
Going to Nebraska?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:57 pm

OUTTED AS STEPHEN FROM NEBRASKA

swimmer11

Bronze

Post by swimmer11 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:01 pm

God, I pray I was not like this as a 1L...and then I remember I was.

Bro, it does not matter. The curve is the curve is the curve. Aint shit you can do to try and manipulate it in anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:02 pm

Yeah Stephen, don't worry about what is not in your control. Just do you.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:04 pm

Nova wrote:Yeah Stephen, don't worry about what is not in your control. Just do you.
Yes. Work as hard you can and hope you come out on top. That's all you can do.

StephenMU19

New

Post by StephenMU19 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:21 pm

Ousted for sure. Ya, Nebraska.

Just trying to kill it like us all without being a douche.

T2 is pressure for obvious reasons.

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:45 pm

I'm with the OP. First semester I noticed the vast majority of my classmates did not have supp's and were not focused on BLL, just the cases. I always cringed when I heard students help these students.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:29 pm

My school is hosting continuing orientation sessions. They've started to tell students not to do 8 page briefs. I'm in the corner thinking to myself, 'No, let them continue to waste time briefing. Don't tell them that.'

I'm hoping they disregard the advice and don't mess with our curve :lol:

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:42 pm

I feel your pain. During my 1L Fall one of our professors kept telling everyone in the class how to do test prep. Thank goodness that my classmates stopped listening to his advice after the first semester.

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:46 pm

My torts professor is already telling people to start outlining. My classmates are talking to 2Ls about how long outlines should be. Most of them are saying over 100 pages, but slim it down to 60 :shock:

Crazy people. I hope they listen to that.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:05 pm

TLS "secrets"? WAT?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:30 pm

1Ls ITT need to get serious. No, you are not a special snowflake w/your studying strats. Everyone at your school, even at most TTTs, will use E&Es, outline, etc. etc. Focus on prac exams and whatnot, and DO NOT have some false impression that everyone will just bring in case briefs and a 200 page outline and struggle through the final.

More directly addressing the OP:

You have about a 50% chance of being above median; about a 25% chances of being top quartile. Sure there may be slackers or people who have the flu on an exam (this could be you) and fuck it up, but do not account that into your planning.

StephenMU19

New

Post by StephenMU19 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:53 pm

Gorki wrote:1Ls ITT need to get serious. No, you are not a special snowflake w/your studying strats. Everyone at your school, even at most TTTs, will use E&Es, outline, etc. etc. Focus on prac exams and whatnot, and DO NOT have some false impression that everyone will just bring in case briefs and a 200 page outline and struggle through the final.

You have about a 50% chance of being above median; about a 25% chances of being top quartile. Sure there may be slackers or people who have the flu on an exam (this could be you) and fuck it up, but do not account that into your planning.
Ya. Do all schools break law school sections up into ability? Obviously they can't really know, but it is so apparent that my section has all of the "high LSAT scores" and the other section has all of the lower scores. I really didn't believe this until I asked my legal writing teacher and she said, "Ya, schools do this".

Does this mean that an A quality paper is diminished to a B because of the particularly section you are in, or do most professors compare tests and then change things up after everything is scored?

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:04 pm

StephenMU19 wrote:
Gorki wrote:1Ls ITT need to get serious. No, you are not a special snowflake w/your studying strats. Everyone at your school, even at most TTTs, will use E&Es, outline, etc. etc. Focus on prac exams and whatnot, and DO NOT have some false impression that everyone will just bring in case briefs and a 200 page outline and struggle through the final.

Ya. Do all schools break law school sections up into ability? Obviously they can't really know, but it is so apparent that my section has all of the "high LSAT scores" and the other section has all of the lower scores. I really didn't believe this until I asked my legal writing teacher and she said, "Ya, schools do this".

Does this mean that an A quality paper is diminished to a B because of the particularly section you are in, or do most professors compare tests and then change things up after everything is scored?
TTTTs section stack (put all scholarship recipients into same section so based on the curve alone, a good chunk of recipients will lose their scholarships).

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:10 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:My classmates are talking to 2Ls about how long outlines should be. Most of them are saying over 100 pages, but slim it down to 60 :shock:
That's so neurotic it's adorable. One of my proudest law school achievements was my complete crim law outline weighing in at 9 pages.
shifty_eyed wrote:TTTTs section stack (put all scholarship recipients into same section so based on the curve alone, a good chunk of recipients will lose their scholarships).
I have always doubted this and never seen good evidence (or even anecdotes) to back it up. I think it's more true that shitty schools give out a lot of scholarships with unreasonable stipulations, so each section sees people with them and the whispering makes people think they're in a/the "stacked" section.

Still a bad situation, but incrementally less nefarious.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:57 am

thesealocust wrote:
I have always doubted this and never seen good evidence (or even anecdotes) to back it up. I think it's more true that shitty schools give out a lot of scholarships with unreasonable stipulations, so each section sees people with them and the whispering makes people think they're in a/the "stacked" section.

Back what up exactly? You'll have 120 kids sitting in Torts 1 and some are on scholly, some will get medium, and the rest will be out the door.

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:59 am

thesealocust wrote:

I know someone who went to Cooley and EVERY single person in his section was on a scholly with like 1/3 stips. His friends section had not a single person with a scholly. They openly talked about it but didn't see it as a bad thing.

Dogg

Bronze

Post by Dogg » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:02 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

I know someone who went to Cooley and EVERY single person in his section was on a scholly with like 1/3 stips. His friends section had not a single person with a scholly. They openly talked about it but didn't see it as a bad thing.
obvious section stacking

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:15 pm

thesealocust wrote:
bsktbll28082 wrote:My classmates are talking to 2Ls about how long outlines should be. Most of them are saying over 100 pages, but slim it down to 60 :shock:
That's so neurotic it's adorable. One of my proudest law school achievements was my complete crim law outline weighing in at 9 pages.
shifty_eyed wrote:TTTTs section stack (put all scholarship recipients into same section so based on the curve alone, a good chunk of recipients will lose their scholarships).

Schools give out scholarships for very small differences in student quality. Putting all your 165s into a section, leaving the 163s by themselves won't really result in that many more people losing their scholarships. 1-2 pts on teh LSAT is the difference between fullride and nothing. Yet, in terms of student quality, it's in the margin of error.

I don't doubt some TTT's do it. But they don't need to do it. If you give out top 1/3rd stips, about 2/3rds won't make it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”