Commuting an hour and 45 min to law school?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Gorki

Re: Commuting an hour and 45 min to law school?

Postby Gorki » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:00 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:I did this. I didn't learn until 3L about audio barbri/themis/kaplan lectures. I never bought the textbook for evidence, never went to class (well once in the middle just to make sure it's still there), worked full time and got a curved A- in evidence based solely on listening to the themis evidence lecture on the train. I just closed my eyes and listened to it on repeat for 4 months.

I can't stress enough how good audio lectures are for a commute. Reading sucks because you're exhausted at night and you're more likely to say "nah." Audio lectures READ FOR YOU.

Probably a stupid question, but how do I get access to the BarBri/Themis/Kaplan audo lectures? Are any of these available for free?

BARBRI app is available for iOS I know at the least; lectures available. As to Kaplan, I could not find a Kaplan App.

Also, I do not have unlim data and the BARBRI lectures were streamed... so yeah not feasible for me but if your grandfathered into unlim data its legit.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:29 pm

Gorki wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:I did this. I didn't learn until 3L about audio barbri/themis/kaplan lectures. I never bought the textbook for evidence, never went to class (well once in the middle just to make sure it's still there), worked full time and got a curved A- in evidence based solely on listening to the themis evidence lecture on the train. I just closed my eyes and listened to it on repeat for 4 months.

I can't stress enough how good audio lectures are for a commute. Reading sucks because you're exhausted at night and you're more likely to say "nah." Audio lectures READ FOR YOU.

Probably a stupid question, but how do I get access to the BarBri/Themis/Kaplan audo lectures? Are any of these available for free?

BARBRI app is available for iOS I know at the least; lectures available. As to Kaplan, I could not find a Kaplan App.

Also, I do not have unlim data and the BARBRI lectures were streamed... so yeah not feasible for me but if your grandfathered into unlim data its legit.

Where else would one find these audio lectures? I can't find them on the android market :(

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:13 am

ALeal90 wrote:So this is something I am really considering as my living cost would only be about $3k-$4k annually by staying at home. The commute would be an hr and 20 min by train then 25 min by shuttle both ways. Obviously I can use this time to plug in some headphones and read, maybe go over a few outlines? Does anyone have any experience doing this as a 1L? Has it worked out alright?

- Commuted 1 hour each way (2 hours total)
- Listened to LEEWS, Barbri
- Top 15%

SEngland

Postby SEngland » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:49 pm

Nah

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:16 pm

What do you guys think is the best audio lecture and how expensive is it? I saw kaplans is only $100. Would it be worth it? And if I get the audio lectures, is it it worth getting hornbooks also?

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:39 am

Commuted an hour+ (each way) each day of 1L and 2L. Did very well.
Strongly endorse audio lectures.

Law school legends / Sum and Substance are both pretty money.

I downloaded them all illegally, because IDGAF about IP and I was trying to save money. I'm sure you can download them from the publisher or something if you have morals.

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:40 pm

Did it, ended up median, exhausted every day. But in the end I saved a few thousand dollars so it was worth it, right? Now that I look back on it, a few more thousand dollars on top of an already enormous six figure debt load wouldn't have made me any more worse off.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:59 pm

adonai wrote:Did it, ended up median, exhausted every day. But in the end I saved a few thousand dollars so it was worth it, right? Now that I look back on it, a few more thousand dollars on top of an already enormous six figure debt load wouldn't have made me any more worse off.

Did u use audio lectures also and commute via public transit?

adonai

Postby adonai » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:36 am

ALeal90 wrote:
adonai wrote:Did it, ended up median, exhausted every day. But in the end I saved a few thousand dollars so it was worth it, right? Now that I look back on it, a few more thousand dollars on top of an already enormous six figure debt load wouldn't have made me any more worse off.

I used audio lectures but commuted in my own car 2hrs. both ways. Audio lectures didn't do much for me. Understanding/learning the law is not really the problem in law school, it is applying it to a fact pattern better than everyone in your class. Audio lectures just weren't that helpful to me, and looking back I felt that time spent in traffic listening to ineffective audio lectures could have been spent sleeping or actually doing more practice questions/exams.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:55 pm

adonai wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:

I used audio lectures but commuted in my own car 2hrs. both ways. Audio lectures didn't do much for me. Understanding/learning the law is not really the problem in law school, it is applying it to a fact pattern better than everyone in your class. Audio lectures just weren't that helpful to me, and looking back I felt that time spent in traffic listening to ineffective audio lectures could have been spent sleeping or actually doing more practice questions/exams.

I see what you are saying. I guess audio lectures work depending on who you ask.. I plan on doing as many practice exams as possible on the weekends. I'm willing to sacrifice my social life for better grades and very little debt

adonai

Postby adonai » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:28 pm

ALeal90 wrote:
adonai wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:

I see what you are saying. I guess audio lectures work depending on who you ask.. I plan on doing as many practice exams as possible on the weekends. I'm willing to sacrifice my social life for better grades and very little debt

Better have tried than not. It didn't work for me. Maybe it will for you. Best of luck.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:22 pm

For those that used audio tapes, did u even bother with hornbooks or e&e? Why or why not?

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:18 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dogg

Postby Dogg » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:31 am

ALeal90 wrote:So this is something I am really considering as my living cost would only be about $3k-$4k annually by staying at home. The commute would be an hr and 20 min by train then 25 min by shuttle both ways. Obviously I can use this time to plug in some headphones and read, maybe go over a few outlines? Does anyone have any experience doing this as a 1L? Has it worked out alright?

3.5 hours every day ... nah

BizOwner

Postby BizOwner » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:12 am

I commuted by train 2 hours each way during my 1L year thinking I would save on gas, parking and living expenses as I was living at home with spouse. It was a pain in the ass and I only lasted about 2 months before I starting driving. I wasn't as productive on the train as I thought I could be and I never bothered with the audio CDs. It was a lot of wasted time however, I don't regret one bit living at home and saving several thousand dollars in living expenses.

Finishing law school in approx. 3 weeks and have no law school debt! You need to consider whether 30 weeks with 1L stress are worth several years of financial burden. The remaining two years of law school are a walk in the park and you can formulate your class schedule to be more time efficient (i.e. 2 days of class a week).

Looking back as I am close to finishing, the most important factor is finances. I would take a modest dip in class rank any day over $45,000 in school debt. The employment market is so f'ed that class rank really doesn't matter.

gregfootball2001

Postby gregfootball2001 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:40 am

Danger Zone wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:If 1L is the largest determinant of class rank would it make more sense to spend $20k living on campus for the first year and then commuting 2L and 3L? By then my debt for the total 3 years would probably be close to $40k or $45k

Yeah, I think it's worth it. Anything you can do to make life easier during 1L.

Fully agree. 1L is just so damn important.

Duchovnysfan

Postby Duchovnysfan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:00 am

Don't do it if you can easily relocate and by that I mean you're not married/have kids. Someone who graduated with me last year had a 2 hour commute each way. The only reason why that person did such a crazy commute because that person had a kid and did not want to pull them out of school or go into an entirely different district. Now that is more the exception rather than the rule.

You need all the time you can get as first year. I had a 45 min commute one way to school and it got rough during winter time because I went to school where winter was not so kind. One night after class, the roads were so unsafe that it took me over 3 hours to get home and of course, I lost an entire night of studying because when I got home I was so exhausting from driving for so long. So keep in mind, if you are in a place where winter blows, then MOVE CLOSER. You may have to take out a loan but trust me that valuable time you will now have will be so worth it.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”