Legal Theory Course

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kevinkerix

Legal Theory Course

Postby kevinkerix » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:18 pm

Its a required course. I'm incredibly confused about how to tackle it. Compared to other law courses the textbook seems unstructured and opinionated (author). The prof doesn't provide much more structure, just asking our thoughts on certain points the author raises. I have a math background so this quasi-philosophical content is driving me crazy!

Advice/Tips on how to do well or approach the class?

Gorki

Re: Legal Theory Course

Postby Gorki » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:23 pm

kevinkerix wrote:Its a required course. I'm incredibly confused about how to tackle it. Compared to other law courses the textbook seems unstructured and opinionated (author). The prof doesn't provide much more structure, just asking our thoughts on certain points the author raises. I have a math background so this quasi-philosophical content is driving me crazy!

Advice/Tips on how to do well or approach the class?

Is this all about natural law v. positivism v. law & econ v. legal realism v. structuralism/marxism v. blahblahblah?

I had a course that incorporated theory aspects and we had 1 paper to do, so I just read HLA Hart and Justice Holmes and did a comparative shpeel.

If your class is totally diff then explain.

kevinkerix

Postby kevinkerix » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:31 pm

Yep. First class natural law v. positivism. Feminist legal theory, Anarchist legal theory, etc.

Seems like our class has an exam, prof will reveal later what format.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:41 pm

There really are gonna be no supplements at all. Its a fluff-style liberal arts class. This may be challenging since you had a substantive major.

I took a lot of worthless classes like this in UG, and my motto was to basically read the entire reading, or if it was just an insane amount, read the Wikipedia page.

I cannot see the final exam being a traditional hypo-style exam.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”