lost on source collection for our school's journal

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sangr

lost on source collection for our school's journal

Postby sangr » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:46 pm

sup

can anyone enlighten me on something? so we all have to collect sources for whoever was good enough to get published

1) how do we even ascertain for sure what type of academic material our source is? i.e. is it from a periodical? or from another schools journal? or some kind of blah blah blah?

2) how the heck do we know what an official versus unofficial source is? does the "official source" stem from that school's journal if its an article written from there?

3) any other tips? im lost lol.
thanks all

Joe Quincy

Re: lost on source collection for our school's journal

Postby Joe Quincy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:53 pm

Huh? You should be able to answer 90% of that just from the citation they provided in their Note/Comment or the TOC of the source. Your journal should have their own guidelines as to what forms of sources they consider sufficient. (Some only want bound US reporters, some are ok with Heinonline scans of bound, some are ok with Westlaw versions.)

If you have the actual source and don't know if its a periodical...you need to spend some time with the rules and a dictionary. Identifying periodical/non-periodical, etc is easy.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:59 pm

sangr wrote:sup

can anyone enlighten me on something? so we all have to collect sources for whoever was good enough to get published

1) how do we even ascertain for sure what type of academic material our source is? i.e. is it from a periodical? or from another schools journal? or some kind of blah blah blah?

2) how the heck do we know what an official versus unofficial source is? does the "official source" stem from that school's journal if its an article written from there?

3) any other tips? im lost lol.
thanks all

I am not sure if this is a flame or not. If you cannot answer these questions you seriously need to set up a meeting with your EIC or with library staff to relearn basic legal citations... they covered this in our LS's LRW class in 1L. I am really confused as to how you got onto a journal w/o knowing this sorta stuff :?

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:01 pm

I hope this isn't a flame since OPs been posting so long. But if you look in his history he asks some of the dumbest questions I've ever heard. Or at least he/she has no idea how Google works and can't find the simplest of answers without asking others to find out for him/her.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:20 am

Yeah question 1 is basic. Question 2 isn't as obvious but a lot of the info is in the bluebook

For cases, you should download the original PDF on Westlaw/Lexis.

For news sources, find a hard copy, ideally. Don't cite to a URL unless the source is only available online

For statues, go to the library and pull a book from the shelves. Don't use online sources

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:21 am

Go ask your journal.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”