Studying UCC and FRCP

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sweetfrenchtoast

Studying UCC and FRCP

Postby sweetfrenchtoast » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:22 pm

1L NOOB.

Are there any particular sections that we HAVE to know? It seems like my professors jump around the rules constantly (particularly in civ pro) and I'm not sure which ones I should KNOW and which ones aren't as important. Any advice?

NoodleyOne

Re: Studying UCC and FRCP

Postby NoodleyOne » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:30 pm

sweetfrenchtoast wrote:1L NOOB.

Are there any particular sections that we HAVE to know? It seems like my professors jump around the rules constantly (particularly in civ pro) and I'm not sure which ones I should KNOW and which ones aren't as important. Any advice?

You're going to want to know what the Professor deems important. Look at old tests to see which ones they test on.

This just seems like common sense.

Dogg

Postby Dogg » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:27 pm

Go to your prof's office hours and ask them the specifics ( ask a TA if you have one) or write down which rules he/she talks about in class
Knowing and being able to apply the frcp/ucc is the core of civ pro

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:32 pm

Dogg wrote:

Go to your prof's office hours and ask them the specifics ( ask a TA if you have one) or write down which rules he/she talks about in class
Knowing and being able to apply the frcp/ucc is the core of civ pro

The UCC for civil procedure? What are you talkin about.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:44 pm

This is extremely school dependent. Ask 2Ls at your school.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:53 pm

I would spend a lot of time with the FRCP. No teacher will expect you to apply the rules to complex fact patterns without a copy of the rules themselves, but what takes time is learning where to find things. So I highly recommend bringing a copy of FRCP to class, looking up rules, and even paging through the FRCP when you have the time just to get a feel for it. That's my advice (but I love Civ Pro).

LSATPREPPER

Postby LSATPREPPER » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:11 am

UCC 2-207 will come up.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:21 pm

I remember learning this stuff as a 1L and you're right, it seems disjointed and confusing at first.

You know what you should do? No one told me this, but it I bet it will help. Figure out the range of sections that will get covered in the entirety of class (whether they be FRCP in Civ Pro or the UCC in Contracts - review your course syllabus and casebook table of contents) - and read the entire thing in order.

Literally read them. Start at FRCP 1, read the text of the rule, then FRCP 2, etc. Not indepth - don't analyze, just get familiar.

They make sense when you realize each is a piece of a whole and there is a STRUCTURE. Once you see the whole, then the parts make more sense.

And once you see the whole, you'll start to see what parts your professor is focusing on - then you need to focus on those parts.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”