Dealing with a crush in Law School Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kalvano

Diamond

Re: Dealing with a crush in Law School

Post by kalvano » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:01 pm

I'm 33, which is old for TLS. Doesn't bother me, it happens to everyone. I'm not saying married life is the best thing ever, but it's pretty awesome when you find the right person. It would be terrible if you aren't happy with the person, though. But I was lucky and found someone awesome a long time ago.

And I don't mean that being single is terrible and everyone should get married. It just seems like the cycle would get old after a while. I have several single friends that are getting older, and they all say the same thing, that "it was fun, but it gets old." Threads like this reinforce that to me, because I'm very happy with where I am.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:07 pm

kalvano wrote:I'm 33, which is old for TLS. Doesn't bother me, it happens to everyone. I'm not saying married life is the best thing ever, but it's pretty awesome when you find the right person. It would be terrible if you aren't happy with the person, though. But I was lucky and found someone awesome a long time ago.
Agreed. You know that saying "Find a job you love, and you'll never 'work' another day in your life?" I think relationships are the same way; with the right person, they can be rewarding and actually fairly easy to maintain. I don't know if I just got lucky, or if it was the fact that my wife and I paired off early and have grown together into a good couple, but it's worked out. It helps to have good role models too - my parents are coming up on their 60th anniversary next summer.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:14 pm

It's also extraordinarily helpful to not have kids right away. We are about to have our first one, and it's stressful. Definitely can hurt a relationship more than help.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:17 pm

kalvano wrote:It's also extraordinarily helpful to not have kids right away. We are about to have our first one, and it's stressful. Definitely can hurt a relationship more than help.
That's a good point I didn't consider; we don't have kids, so any time we spend together gets to be about the relationship.

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:22 pm

ScottRiqui wrote: It helps to have good role models too - my parents are coming up on their 60th anniversary next summer.
I think this is huge.

It doesn't bode well for newlyweds when their idea of marriage is what they get from TV or bitter spouses / divorcees.
kalvano wrote:It's also extraordinarily helpful to not have kids right away. We are about to have our first one, and it's stressful. Definitely can hurt a relationship more than help.
That's pretty situationally dependent in my eyes. Where you are in life when you get hitched and how long you've been together, effectively acting married before the nuptials, play heavy hands. I know when my wife and I got married, things didn't feel any different. We had already lived together for years and the majority our excitement came from all the social (fiscal) benefits. (Well the ring was fun for her I guess.)

But if I am correct in my reading, I do agree that there should be time for the two to grow as a couple and invest into their relationship before throwing something as complicated as a baby into the mix (something I don't have experience with).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:37 pm

Redfactor wrote:But if I am correct in my reading, I do agree that there should be time for the two to grow as a couple and invest into their relationship before throwing something as complicated as a baby into the mix (something I don't have experience with).

Yes, totally depends on where you are in the relationship. But if you're young, freshly married, and haven't been together for a while before getting married, I think it can totally screw it up.

JDot

New

Post by JDot » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:48 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
kalvano wrote:I've been with my wife, total, for almost 15 years. Nothing's perfect, but I'll take married life over single life any time.
This. It's been 27 years since our first date, and I'm happier with my wife than I have any right to be. I would be completely dead in the water if anything happened to her and I ended up single again.
comments like this make me happy I'm single...I'm sorry, but putting your life so far into someone else's hands that it would render you "dead in the water" if you broke up just sounds pathetic, no offense

but to each his own and if you're happy then good for you

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:56 pm

JDot wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
kalvano wrote:I've been with my wife, total, for almost 15 years. Nothing's perfect, but I'll take married life over single life any time.
This. It's been 27 years since our first date, and I'm happier with my wife than I have any right to be. I would be completely dead in the water if anything happened to her and I ended up single again.
comments like this make me happy I'm single...I'm sorry, but putting your life so far into someone else's hands that it would render you "dead in the water" if you broke up just sounds pathetic, no offense

By "dead in the water", I meant in the context of getting back into the dating scene, not that I wouldn't be able to continue with life. The last time I was "dating", I was barely out of my teens, and Bush Sr. was in office.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:16 pm

JDot wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:

No one is happy they're single.

No one wants to sleep alone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:38 pm

:shock:
Last edited by dowu on Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

SEngland

Bronze

Post by SEngland » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:00 pm

This marriage talk is hella weak.

Stay single - it is CLEARLY the best play.

Those who are married always try to get in their own heads that they made the right move.

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:37 pm

This thread has devolved into married men defending their happiness to total strangers, who are in turn being k-JD jackasses by calling bullshit to complete strangers who say they're happy.

(it's beautiful)

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:56 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LetsGoLAW

Bronze

Post by LetsGoLAW » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:10 am

Connor Benz wrote:Every one knows 1L life is crazy and the last thing you want to be is distracted. However, I have developed a crush on a girl that sits next me in my Civil Procedure class. I need to focus and it does not help that she is in my section. So in other classes, I sometimes find myself staring at her :shock: The unfortunate thing is she really does not talk to me because she probably thinks I'm an idiot. Has anyone else dealt with a crush in law school? I don't know if I have the time and energy to try to get her to like me haha.
Follow the elements of the Law of Attraction, brah:

1) Have confidence.
2) Don't act beta/needy.
3) Talk to the girl.

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:20 am

I had an informed consent NSA hook-up with a classmate one night. Shit got hella weird immediately thereafter. Will not do it again, lol. Or at least If I do, it'll be someone a little more emotionally mature.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:24 am

LAWYER2 wrote:I had an informed consent NSA hook-up with a classmate one night. Shit got hella weird immediately thereafter. Will not do it again, lol. Or at least If I do, it'll be someone a little more emotionally mature.
This may be the least surprising thing I've ever heard.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:16 pm

kalvano wrote:Any time I question whether getting married was a good call, I look at threads like this and any doubt is instantly gone.
TITCR. I'm not going to get on here and defend my decision to get married before law school, but I will say that I'm happy I don't have the added stress of trying to get with girls. Nothing better than having a nice meal waiting for you after a long day of classes / studying, too, not to mention the constant support and encouragement (in a variety of ways...).
SEngland wrote:This marriage talk is hella weak.

Stay single - it is CLEARLY the best play.

Those who are married always try to get in their own heads that they made the right move.
(Lonely bro)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:34 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:I regret posting in this thread.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:20 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:I regret posting in this thread.
You're cool.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:26 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:I had an informed consent NSA hook-up with a classmate one night. Shit got hella weird immediately thereafter. Will not do it again, lol. Or at least If I do, it'll be someone a little more emotionally mature.
Guessing the NSA wasn't fully NSA

Lumieres

Bronze

Post by Lumieres » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:55 pm

"Law school goggles"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:39 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
JDot wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:

No one is happy they're single.

No one wants to sleep alone.
Since when does being single in today's parlance = sleeping alone?

And to the guy hating on the single-bro above, you seem to be proving his point.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:54 pm

Lumieres wrote:"Law school goggles"
This is a proven phenomenon

SEngland

Bronze

Post by SEngland » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:11 pm

I'm married to my Fantasy Football roster

NotMyRealName09