Law School Reputation

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Connor Benz
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:49 pm

Law School Reputation

Postby Connor Benz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:08 pm

Hi, my name is Connor.

I am being perceived as a "class clown" from my section mates. I'm wondering how can I change this perception? In all honesty, I do not try to be funny at all. I just be myself. I've gotten cold-called a couple of times. The first one did not go well, but the other ones were okay - one great. However, people think I am being funny when I talk to the professors. I am from California and I go to an east coast school. I talk to the professors the way I would talk to a peer. It makes me more comfortable and allows me to engage more in the discussion. However, my "tone" and lingo makes people laugh. I feel like I'm not being taken seriously. Any one else experienced this or have thoughts on what I can do?

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Law School Reputation

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Connor Benz wrote:Hi, my name is Connor.

I am being perceived as a "class clown" from my section mates. I'm wondering how can I change this perception? In all honesty, I do not try to be funny at all. I just be myself. I've gotten cold-called a couple of times. The first one did not go well, but the other ones were okay - one great. However, people think I am being funny when I talk to the professors. I am from California and I go to an east coast school. I talk to the professors the way I would talk to a peer. It makes me more comfortable and allows me to engage more in the discussion. However, my "tone" and lingo makes people laugh. I feel like I'm not being taken seriously. Any one else experienced this or have thoughts on what I can do?


Change. Being professional =/= being comfortable.

Connor Benz
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:49 pm

Re: Law School Reputation

Postby Connor Benz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:21 pm

I see what you are saying. I'm trying to do that. So I don't participate in class as much any more because I don't want to give off the wrong impression. I wore sweats to class last friday and got offensive glares. (sweats really?!) I was late to a class one time and I opened the door too hard and it slammed against the wall and people thought that was funny. (It was really embarrassing). I don't know what else I can do. I'm thinking maybe its a cultural thing. Being from California, a lot of us are relaxed people. Out here on the east coast, these students are stressed out and anal about EVERYTHING in the first few weeks. I went to the University of California and graduated top 10%. Students there were serious, yet they knew when to relax and when to get serious. They were competitive, yet friendly. My law school class seems really "cliquey" and I'm not feeling that. It seems like these students are never relaxed and always apprehensive.

User avatar
boredtodeath
Posts: 632
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Law School Reputation

Postby boredtodeath » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:24 pm

You don't seem too chill if you're worrying about shit like this.

Connor Benz
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:49 pm

Re: Law School Reputation

Postby Connor Benz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:26 pm

boredtodeath wrote:You don't seem too chill if you're worrying about shit like this.


That is why I titled the post "reputation" I'm worried that I am giving off the wrong impression as a class clown. I'm looking for advice on how to fix this since its only the second week

User avatar
boredtodeath
Posts: 632
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Law School Reputation

Postby boredtodeath » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:31 pm

Connor Benz wrote:
boredtodeath wrote:You don't seem too chill if you're worrying about shit like this.


That is why I titled the post "reputation" I'm worried that I am giving off the wrong impression as a class clown. I'm looking for advice on how to fix this since its only the second week


Idk man, I probably would think you're a chill, fun dude if you actually come off as you say you are coming off. I don't know about the people at your school, but it seems to me than any reasonable 20-something wouldn't think "less" of you for this stuff.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Law School Reputation

Postby nickb285 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:33 pm

Who cares? As long as you know how to be professional when the setting requires it (i.e. work-related scenarios) who really cares if some douchenozzle judges you for wearing sweatpants? If you're planning on staying on the east coast, maybe learn to prep it up a bit, but if you're going to head back to CA or somewhere else anyway it makes no difference whatsoever if some dipshit thinks you're "unprofessional" because your wardrobe isn't gunning hard enough.

KidStuddi
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:35 pm

Re: Law School Reputation

Postby KidStuddi » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:11 pm

Connor Benz wrote:I see what you are saying. I'm trying to do that. So I don't participate in class as much any more because I don't want to give off the wrong impression. I wore sweats to class last friday and got offensive glares. (sweats really?!) I was late to a class one time and I opened the door too hard and it slammed against the wall and people thought that was funny. (It was really embarrassing). I don't know what else I can do. I'm thinking maybe its a cultural thing. Being from California, a lot of us are relaxed people. Out here on the east coast, these students are stressed out and anal about EVERYTHING in the first few weeks. I went to the University of California and graduated top 10%. Students there were serious, yet they knew when to relax and when to get serious. They were competitive, yet friendly. My law school class seems really "cliquey" and I'm not feeling that. It seems like these students are never relaxed and always apprehensive.


I strongly suggest doing whatever makes you comfortable and whatever you think will help you get the best grades possible. Fuck everything and everyone else, especially your peers. Sounding smart and fitting in with your class will not get you good grades, nor will it get you a job. That being said, if you need to participate in class to stay engaged and grasp the material, get back into it. If that's not how you learn best, then stay quiet and let everyone think you're a clown. It doesn't matter in the slightest. Stay focused on the exams to the exclusion of all else and you'll thank yourself a million times when OCI rolls around next fall.

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: Law School Reputation

Postby mephistopheles » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:11 am

clear fucking flame.

c'mon, guys.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: isuggestbedtime, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 9 guests