Tricky situation

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Jace90

Tricky situation

Postby Jace90 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:57 pm

I'm a 1L at FSU on a 75% scholarship. As such, I'm on the hook for a little over $2k per semester which isn't bad IMO. Problem is, I'm worried about ending up in Florida which even though I'm from here, I hate it and have always wanted to leave. The weather, culture, I just feel like I don't fit in here. I've spent time in DC and would love to end up there to live. I got into other, comparable schools, mostly all with some kind of scholarship. No one could match FSU's offer though. I would've been forced into taking out at least 40k in loans attending someplace else. Though no slight to fsu law as a school, profs are great and people seems genuinely cool, if not a bit cliquey, I've been thinking about perhaps trying to transfer out after this year to Howard or someplace else in the mid-atl/northeast. What do you all think? Is it virtually impossible to get scholly money as a transfer? I'm also worried about employment/salary issues. It seems as though FSU grads are only making a fraction of what grads earn from other schools. If anyone has any insight or have found themselves in similar situations by being in a state school, please share. Thanks!

Danger Zone

Re: Tricky situation

Postby Danger Zone » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:14 pm

Why did you even enroll? Drop out immediately and get your money back. Retake and apply elsewhere for next year.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:17 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Why did you even enroll? Drop out immediately and get your money back. Retake and apply elsewhere for next year.

TCR. 2k is nothing. Retake for $$$ at GWU or Georgetown.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:19 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:Why did you even enroll? Drop out immediately and get your money back. Retake and apply elsewhere for next year.

TCR. 2k is nothing. Retake for $$$ at GWU or Georgetown.

Yeah this. Drop out now. You have no reason to be at FsU.

Jace90

Postby Jace90 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses. What about Howard as an option and the employment/earning stats for FSU vs going elsewhere?

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:44 pm

Howard is definitely not a better situation for employment prospects generally, but it would do better at getting you somewhere other than FL. FSU is not a bad investment for your price, but if you have NO desire to end up in FL, you need to take the previous advice, retake, and figure out where you want to be in the future.

If you have particular areas of the country in mind, use LST to find which schools place well in that area (hint: DC=/=Howard) and hustle your ass off to get into the best school in that region. That, or shoot for the highest T14 you can get in hopes of using any amount of national prestige that remains for the T14.

VyingDestiny

Postby VyingDestiny » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:08 am

You ask about Howard, so I have to ask, are you black? I ask because being black changes the calculus of choosing a law school significantly. The three most important questions (and these are not race specific) should be: how debt averse are you, how much of a gamble are you willing to risk, and what do you want to do with your law degree.

Considering you are an actual current law student, I would think you already have answers to those questions. I've read your brief post history, and based on it, you do not seem to actually know what you want to do with your JD, so perhaps you should focus on that.

Anyway, here's why Howard should be a very real option: (A) Statistically, it is much easier to get a full-scholarship, and (B) Howard's placement for top ~15% candidates is incredible. 21/151 students from class of 2012 are employed at NLJ250 firms.

Here's why you should not choose Howard: (A) That scholarship is stipulated (i believe) on remaining in the top 15% of your class, and (B) There is no guarantee you will be in the top 15%.

Take a look at this link: http://www.law.howard.edu/dictator/medi ... Report.pdf

For ~22% of the class, 145k was the 25th percentile. For a school with a forgettable ranking in the grand scheme of things, those numbers are hard to deny.

In sum, I say to my black people: limit your options to T14 and Howard. For everyone else, I say limit your options to T14. However, I'll be completely honest, I have no idea how a white person who goes to Howard and does well is evaluated, but I would imagine since most elite firms recruit at Howard for diversity purposes, one could be shooting themselves in the foot.

Jace90

Postby Jace90 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:02 pm

Thanks for your help. I'll try to answer your questions:

Yes, I am black and am pretty debt averse considering I have a loan from Undergrad and going to FSU would cost me roughly $5k a year, something I would try to pay for myself or find other scholarships for. Thus, the cost factor is hard to deny. With that said, I do not want to take a financial gamble that would leave me 6 figures in debt or close to it. Even though accepted to other schools, when I saw the amount of money I would have to borrow to just attend, let alone live, I could not see myself making that call, especially when I could get the entire degree for 15k or less at FSU. As far as aspirations go, I would enjoy working in healthcare, education, environmental law, or some form of federal policy making/influencing organization. This is why I ask should Howard be an option and if so, would anyone know of their transfer procedures. Becoming a undergrad bus. law. professor or the like also interests me although I doubt this is a real possibility right out of school. I hope this helps...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”