Briefing Cases

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: Briefing Cases

Postby Icculus » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:55 am

PotLuck wrote:Thanks for the advice manofjustice.

This may be the first time anyone has said this. :mrgreen:

Also, I agree with this in terms of what is important for prepping for the exam.

thesealocust wrote:Simple briefs are helpful, because you'll want to remember what you covered and they make good summaries. I basically did:

1. Case name, page in casebook, jurisdiction, and year

2. A brief summary of the rule in the case (since that's what you need for the exam)

3. Less than a full sentence about the facts (i.e. "woman gets injured in freak train/fireworks accident" for Palsgraff - enough to remind you what it was, not a summary and not to help you ace your cold call)

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:13 am

Icculus wrote:My civ pro prof never assigned it either. When one particularly annoying student asked what we should say if ever asked about it by an interviewer or someone else, his answer was simple, "Explain it's not good law anymore so who cares about it?"

That was basically my response, too - once I figured out it was International Shoe et al. that mattered I gave up on caring what in rem and in personam and quasi in rem or whatever it was all meant.

Postby PotLuck » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:30 pm

I really appreciate everyone's advice in this thread. It helped clarify the briefing system.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”