Am I doing 1L right?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
AllDangle

Am I doing 1L right?

Postby AllDangle » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:29 pm

I read most of the TLS guides prior to starting. I am reading the casebook/cases for the relevant BLL. I am doing mini-briefs that just list a sentence of fact, the rule (BLL), any policy considerations the opinion mentioned, as well as any other nuances it states (a majority of jurisdictions use this other rule, etc). I am reading the sections in my supps that correspond to what I am reading in class (tough right now since some classes are presenting cases that cover many different topics in the law, only for us to go back and look at each topic later in more depth). In class I am taking notes when the professor mentions something I hadn't thought of, a new point of law, policy, etc. Am I doing 1L right?

LeDique

Re: Am I doing 1L right?

Postby LeDique » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:30 pm

How much are you drinking?

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:33 pm

I am a 1L too basically doing the same things and yea our early cases were more general but now we are starting to get into the more subject specific stuff. You can see what your profs final exams look like if you haven't yet to give you an even better idea for what you should be keying in on.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:36 pm

Get outlines from 2Ls and then don't do anything till Thanksgiving.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:29 pm

It's not even September. You have no ability to know if you're doing anything useful. Chill and drink.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:31 pm

This post needs more Cabernet Sauvignon.

lawhopeful10

Re: Am I doing 1L right?s

Postby lawhopeful10 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:35 pm

I will just say this. On the first day of class I looked at my crim teachers final exam and saw she has a definitions section. Like half the words that were tested on this old exam she went over like the first 2 or 3 classes. I talked to the TA who ace the class and she said in this class she took double the notes of other classes because of how the teacher tested. Moral of the story if I hadn't found this out so early I probably wouldn't have given a shit about the definition of felony murder or interlocutory appeal even though that is gonna be tested. Yea maybe a 2L would have had it but I rather trust my notes.

Totalimmortal

Postby Totalimmortal » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:39 pm

OP, I intentionally didn't go to the highest ranked school I could have gone to, so that I might fare better. I outworked probably 90% of my classmates, and the gym was my only hobby. I could not have stressed myself more, and I didn't crack the top third.

Work smart, not hard, and if it's not November, you're fine. Find good supplements to learn the BLL and take PTs to sharpen your analysis. Don't burn out, and don't rustle your own jimmies.

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:12 pm

Anyone know if we should be analyzing all aspects of a case? I was mini briefing too, but during cold calls, the profs want judge opinions and other details. I think the consensus is none of that matters on the exam (unless otherwise noted)?

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:16 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:Anyone know if we should be analyzing all aspects of a case? I was mini briefing too, but during cold calls, the profs want judge opinions and other details. I think the consensus is none of that matters on the exam (unless otherwise noted)?

From what I understand, the judge's reasoning could speak to policy implications and what changes in facts could have on a ruling, so I think that's pretty important.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:21 pm

I recommend reading the assigned cases. If you are doing this you're doing fine.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:30 pm

Where is your alcohol consumption at? Have you avoided being the douche bag in the class that is too excited and too into LS? How's your game; crushing bitches like its your job?

masterbrowski

Postby masterbrowski » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:21 pm

It doesn't sound like you are snowboarding nearly enough. Do you have any trips to Tahoe planned this year?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:31 pm

Have you crushed your enemies, seen them driven before you, and heard the lamentation of their women?

If not, then no, you're not doing it right.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:41 pm

kalvano wrote:Have you crushed your enemies, seen them driven before you, and heard the lamentation of their women?

If not, then no, you're not doing it right.

Yeah but not until like November/December. Snowboarding and drinking is probably O.K. until then, neh?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:53 pm

I don't know what snow is. It's 105 out.

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:34 pm

Totally haven't been going out and drinking at this point. Trying to get in a routine of reading. Drinking crazy amounts of coffee (its free!). Haven't started outlining yet since we haven't completely finished any sections. Haven't cracked open all the supplements yet either.

Gah, hope I'm not just wasting time in the library. :shock:

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:53 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:Totally haven't been going out and drinking at this point. Trying to get in a routine of reading. Drinking crazy amounts of coffee (its free!). Haven't started outlining yet since we haven't completely finished any sections. Haven't cracked open all the supplements yet either.

You are. Go out and have fun while it is still early in the semester.

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:26 pm

ilovesf wrote:
bsktbll28082 wrote:Totally haven't been going out and drinking at this point. Trying to get in a routine of reading. Drinking crazy amounts of coffee (its free!). Haven't started outlining yet since we haven't completely finished any sections. Haven't cracked open all the supplements yet either.

What is this fun you speak of? How could intentional torts be anything but fun?

Actually its not that bad. I'm not super stressed or anything. I just know I should be working efficiently, not just a lot. Worried 'bout that.

eerie_erie

Postby eerie_erie » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:38 am

bsktbll28082 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

What is this fun you speak of? How could intentional torts be anything but fun?

Actually its not that bad. I'm not super stressed or anything. I just know I should be working efficiently, not just a lot. Worried 'bout that.

Usually it starts slow. Most work concentrated in the last few/several weeks when you condense the material into what matters for the exam and get the big picture. Don't burn yourself out. Also make friends.

dj_roomba

Postby dj_roomba » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:40 am

I think I'm doing 1L wrong... or my classmates aren't doing all the readings.
I don't get how my fellow 1Lers have had time to go out to all the social events being hosted (and bar review tonight), getting drunk, etc.

We were assigned ~100 pages of reading for Monday + Tuesday, 25 for yesterday, and another 30 today. Not to mention we had a full day of class (8 to ~4) on Monday and yesterday.

Add in grocery shopping, buying books, etc., and I have no idea how everyone is caught up.
I'm staying in tonight finishing up a mandatory assignment while everyone is at bar review.

Am I just super slow or something?

I would love to go out and chill but I gave myself one rule before signing my MPN: can't going out unless readings are all caught up. It's only been the first week. wtf.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:46 am

dj_roomba wrote:I think I'm doing 1L wrong... or my classmates aren't doing all the readings.
I don't get how my fellow 1Lers have had time to go out to all the social events being hosted (and bar review tonight), getting drunk, etc.

We were assigned ~100 pages of reading for Monday + Tuesday, 25 for yesterday, and another 30 today. Not to mention we had a full day of class (8 to ~4) on Monday and yesterday.

Add in grocery shopping, buying books, etc., and I have no idea how everyone is caught up.
I'm staying in tonight finishing up a mandatory assignment while everyone is at bar review.

I would love to go out and chill but I gave myself one rule before signing my MPN: can't going out unless readings are all caught up. It's only been the first week. wtf.

If you wait to do all your reading until the day before its supposed to be done then yes, you will have a busier week. But if you only were given 30 pages for tomorrow and you got out by 4 o'clock you had plenty of time to enjoy tonight.

I mean seriously dude. Grocery shopping and buying books? What's that take like an hour total?

dj_roomba

Postby dj_roomba » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:59 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
dj_roomba wrote:I think I'm doing 1L wrong... or my classmates aren't doing all the readings.

If you wait to do all your reading until the day before its supposed to be done then yes, you will have a busier week. But if you only were given 30 pages for tomorrow and you got out by 4 o'clock you had plenty of time to enjoy tonight.

I mean seriously dude. Grocery shopping and buying books? What's that take like an hour total?

Yeah I'm trying to figure out where all my time went. Admittedly today I was distracted but I'm not sure about the past 3 days
Can someone critique my studying?

1. It takes me about an hour to read 20 pages of cases and notes.
The problem is I don't retain everything in one sitting so I read the case, then read again to brief/highlight, and that takes about another hour.
That's 2 hours for 20 pages (which my professor says is accurate, based on what he thinks we should be doing)
2. I also take notes on the "non case" aspect of casebooks (ie: questions to think about, rationale, etc.)
I'm not sure if other people speed through this but this also takes about 10 pages per hour
3. Combining lecture notes with case/readings and reading supplements= maybe another hour per class

Am I doing anything unnecessary or missing out on something important?
Or am I just too slow?

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:40 am

About 90% of what you're doing is useless. The good news is you won't know what part of it was useless until after the semester. You'll get faster when you learn what your professors expect in terms of prep. All you can do is go to class, study, stop at some point, drink and if you're a trooper you can workout . . . rinse and repeat.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:47 am

dj_roomba wrote:
1. It takes me about an hour to read 20 pages of cases and notes.
The problem is I don't retain everything in one sitting so I read the case, then read again to brief/highlight, and that takes about another hour.
That's 2 hours for 20 pages (which my professor says is accurate, based on what he thinks we should be doing)
2. I also take notes on the "non case" aspect of casebooks (ie: questions to think about, rationale, etc.)
I'm not sure if other people speed through this but this also takes about 10 pages per hour
3. Combining lecture notes with case/readings and reading supplements= maybe another hour per class

Am I doing anything unnecessary or missing out on something important?
Or am I just too slow?

1. You don't need to retain almost anything from each case. You need a sentence or two of rules and a bit of rationale/reasoning behind them, much of which won't be clear to you until class (and sometimes until you've read later cases / attended later classes) anyway. A single case without the context of the law you're learning in a class is worth jack shit, professor's efforts to induce paranoia via cold calling notwithstanding.

2. You don't need to spend as much time on those, and often would be fine ignoring them (but I wouldn't recommend going that far as a 1L).

3. That's fine and dandy to do, but probably mostly in the context of outlining and not until you've had a few more weeks under your belt. The major problem now is you don't have a clue what's relevant and what, with the benefit of hindsight, if obvious fluff/filler.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”