When to start working with hypos and sources of them Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
neffy

New

When to start working with hypos and sources of them

Post by neffy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:47 am

I've learned the importance of working with hypos in these threads... but when should I start writing out answers to them, and what are some good sources of hypos?

I'm taking civ pro, crim, and property this semester.

MonsterTRM

New

Re: When to start working with hypos and sources of them

Post by MonsterTRM » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:57 am

Don't start taking practice exams (basically doing hypotheticals) too early. I'd encourage finding practice exams by October 15/November 1, then really drilling hard. Remember, you're not taking property, civil procedure, crim law...You're taking property with Professor X, Civ Pro with Professor Y, etc. You need to make sure you're drilling hypos that test what will actually be tested come finals.

With that said, there's a number of great places on line to get hypos and practices exams. I used Berkeley's exam database (google it). Also, reddit has some pretty neat stuff, for example: --LinkRemoved-- and --LinkRemoved--. You need to make a username over there and then ask for permission to get on those sites. I found it worth my time though.

Also, E&E's are great resources too.

Good luck!

Moves like JAGger

New

Post by Moves like JAGger » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:02 pm

neffy wrote:I've learned the importance of working with hypos in these threads... but when should I start writing out answers to them, and what are some good sources of hypos?

I'm taking civ pro, crim, and property this semester.
the best sources for hypos, in this order: your professor's past exams (if avail), other professors' from your school past exams, E&E, Emmanuals.

Don't do them until you're into the last third or quarter of the semester. You have to learn the law (outline) first.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:39 pm

E&E's are a good source for starter hypos to get the ball rolling, just make sure to actually try to answer them instead of just giving up and looking at the answer.

Try to get your professor's old exams as early as possible. Not to work on them early, but just to get an idea of how many are out there. Also, there might be a lot more out there than they officially release, which is where upperclassmen and networking comes in handy. For example, I had a torts professor who came over from another school and only released a few exams. Through my network my study group got a mountain of old exams from the prior school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”