bar results waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: bar results waiting thread

Postby 02122015 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:52 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
MSPeast wrote:Passed.

And I never got my trip. :lol: Grats man!

Haha I didn't feel like focusing last night.

Void

Postby Void » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:25 pm

MSPeast wrote:Passed.

Congrats!

Onion

Postby Onion » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:29 pm

I know I am late to the game, but anyone else waiting on NJ and/or PA? The longer the wait, the more sure I am that I failed.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:34 pm

I am already dreading the possibility of retaking in Feb.

smf298

Postby smf298 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Onion wrote:I know I am late to the game, but anyone else waiting on NJ and/or PA? The longer the wait, the more sure I am that I failed.

I'm also waiting for PA & NJ. I'm hoping PA will release results this Friday.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:51 pm

Onion wrote:I know I am late to the game, but anyone else waiting on NJ and/or PA? The longer the wait, the more sure I am that I failed.

Last year PA released this upcoming Friday. I heard NJ will release a week before Thanksgiving but given how freakin' disorganized they were during the exam I wouldn't be surprised with a December release.

Also, anyone know for certain HOW PA releases? I spoke with the Board this week when I needed to change my email/phone and they told me they were not aware of any email results going out. Does this mean A.) In the mail B.) They all just get posted online or C.) The person I spoke with has no idea what she was talking about?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:15 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:I am already dreading the possibility of retaking in Feb.

I passed and am planning on taking another in Feb. I am insane.

Postby 02122015 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:16 pm

Apparently, the entire process in MN, from bar exam to results, was much more organized this year than last year.

During last year's exam, which was held in this old auditorium in downtown St. Paul, it was very rainy and the roof leaked on people. And results were announced to be released only during some sort of 5-day window without any further specifications.

This year, the whole exam was moved to an adjacent but MUCH newer convention hall and went off almost without a hitch (other than one poor girl having a seizure and them throwing unanticipated subjects at us on the essays), and they told us on the last day of the bar exam the exact date on which we would receive results, and they honored that. I woke up at 9:30 today and results were up when I woke up.

So, Kudos to the MN BLE for a job well done.

Postby 02122015 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:17 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I am insane.

Void

Postby Void » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:12 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I heard NJ will release a week before Thanksgiving but given how freakin' disorganized they were during the exam...

Where'd you sit for it? Atlantic City? I took it at the meadowlands and thought they did a decent job. Nowhere to eat at lunchtime other than the floor of the foyer area (because it was pouring rain out) but other than that, pretty good.

Those essays, though. I have no idea what's going to happen.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:17 pm

Void wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:I heard NJ will release a week before Thanksgiving but given how freakin' disorganized they were during the exam...

Where'd you sit for it? Atlantic City? I took it at the meadowlands and thought they did a decent job. Nowhere to eat at lunchtime other than the floor of the foyer area (because it was pouring rain out) but other than that, pretty good.

I sat for it in Atlantic City. The proctoring was a disaster. I thought the essays were super easy though compared to PA. If I fail NJ it will be because of the MBE madness, not because of the essays.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:19 pm

Damn CA and their ridiculously long test and grading process. Nov. 22 can't come soon enough

Void

Postby Void » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:22 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
Void wrote:

I sat for it in Atlantic City. The proctoring was a disaster. I thought the essays were super easy though compared to PA. If I fail NJ it will be because of the MBE madness, not because of the essays.

I think we talked about this already- I also found the essays super easy but some of them (especially crim) had like 30 issues and I was typing at warp speed. So if the bar examiners weren't looking for like 10 page answers, I might be screwed.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:48 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

You and me both. Sigh. On that NY bar apparently.

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:51 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

you do know that to be admitted in NY, if you are taking the NY bar in Feb 2014 or later, you need to do 50 pro bono hours... before you can get sworn in.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:58 pm

northwood wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

you do know that to be admitted in NY, if you are taking the NY bar in Feb 2014 or later, you need to do 50 pro bono hours... before you can get sworn in.

Actually, while the rule goes into effect January 2013 the 50 hours don't trigger till January 2015 candidates as per: http://www.nybarexam.org/

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:36 pm

ajax adonis wrote:Why're you guys taking another bar? Just curious.

I was told by my mentor that if I ever wanted to get admitted in another state, now is the time to take the bar (as the material is still relatively fresh).

northwood wrote:

I'm not sure this is accurate (re: dates), but I went to NYU and do know that there are some requirements in the pipeline.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:07 pm

If you are thinking about jumping ship in a couple years, it makes sense. But don't a lot of states let you waive in after 5?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If you are thinking about jumping ship in a couple years, it makes sense. But don't a lot of states let you waive in after 5?

Not thinking of jumping ship, but my practice group is pretty evenly split between here and NY. People kind of travel back and forth a lot and I think it might be helpful. I've already spent five days on the East Coast and this is my 2nd week of work.

Postby 02122015 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:29 pm

So I lived in Minnesota until I was 14, and then went to HS in far western WI (still in the Minneapolis metro area) and my parents have lived there ever since, and I am living in WI for now until I have the money to move.

I seriously considered taking WI and waiving into MN, but I decided against it mostly because my long-term goal is to live and practice in MN, it would have cost me an extra $1000 basically (MN charges $950 for ALL waive-ins compared to $600 for their own bar exam including laptop fee), and because I had no guarantees of getting a high-enough MBE score to waive in (i.e., I could have passed in WI but not gotten the required MBE score).

A WI admission would have allowed me to help people I know from my hometown, but I'm certainly not aiming for a solo practice or anything, so it really wasn't worth it. I wish I could have done so though without the considerable extra expense and fee.

smf298

Postby smf298 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:51 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:

Last year PA released this upcoming Friday. I heard NJ will release a week before Thanksgiving but given how freakin' disorganized they were during the exam I wouldn't be surprised with a December release.

Also, anyone know for certain HOW PA releases? I spoke with the Board this week when I needed to change my email/phone and they told me they were not aware of any email results going out. Does this mean A.) In the mail B.) They all just get posted online or C.) The person I spoke with has no idea what she was talking about?

PA posts results online first and then sends a letter in the mail. PA released results the second Friday in October for the past two years, so hopefully this Friday will be it! I am beyond nervous. The MBE was pretty brutal and I wasn't crazy about the PT.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:22 pm

smf298 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

PA posts results online first and then sends a letter in the mail. PA released results the second Friday in October for the past two years, so hopefully this Friday will be it! I am beyond nervous. The MBE was pretty brutal and I wasn't crazy about the PT.

I am ready to get this release over with. I'm ready for this Friday. Honestly I felt very good on the PT and the essays, but the MBE was an absolute nightmare. Like, its legitimately possible I got a 50- bad. Idk, overall I feel pretty confident but you never know about these things. I have absolutely no backup plan if I fail the bar, like sobbing in the fetal position for a few days is likely the plan right now.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:38 pm

MSPeast wrote:So I lived in Minnesota until I was 14, and then went to HS in far western WI (still in the Minneapolis metro area) and my parents have lived there ever since, and I am living in WI for now until I have the money to move.

I seriously considered taking WI and waiving into MN, but I decided against it mostly because my long-term goal is to live and practice in MN, it would have cost me an extra $1000 basically (MN charges $950 for ALL waive-ins compared to $600 for their own bar exam including laptop fee), and because I had no guarantees of getting a high-enough MBE score to waive in (i.e., I could have passed in WI but not gotten the required MBE score).

A WI admission would have allowed me to help people I know from my hometown, but I'm certainly not aiming for a solo practice or anything, so it really wasn't worth it. I wish I could have done so though without the considerable extra expense and fee.

You can transfer your MBE to WI. If it's high enough, you might be able to wing WI in Feb with little to no study.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:42 pm

ajax adonis wrote:Why're you guys taking another bar? Just curious.

Still don't know where I actually want to live.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”