Contracts struggle

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
KD35

Contracts struggle

Postby KD35 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:39 pm

I've seen the posts on recommendations on which supplements are good for the different 1L classes, but I'm having a problem that could elicit a slightly different response.

Our 1L contracts class is quite uninformative. Class discussions lack direction and the new-ness of the professor is evident with her inability to really express what we are supposed to get out of class and the lack of direction in the Socratic method. As such, the general sentiment already in our section is that Contracts will primarily have to be self-taught. My question then is: Are there any supplements that could essentially serve as a alternative to learning in the classroom? Or should I just stick with the usual Emmanuels/Hornbook/etc. recommendations?

UnderrateOverachieve

Re: Contracts struggle

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:41 pm

Aren't you like 1-2 weeks into class...? Ask students that have taken the class before you. I have seen such radically different methods of teaching contracts at my school. Outlines from older students seemed to be the only thing that worked well since the class was so specific to the teacher's style.

I would wait a few more weeks to get a feel for how the teacher likes to see his answers then find a supplement that mirrors it the best.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:47 pm

The thin blue book with the sailboat on the cover. Chirelstein or something.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:48 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:Aren't you like 1-2 weeks into class...? Ask students that have taken the class before you. I have seen such radically different methods of teaching contracts at my school. Outlines from older students seemed to be the only thing that worked well since the class was so specific to the teacher's style.

I would wait a few more weeks to get a feel for how the teacher likes to see his answers then find a supplement that mirrors it the best.

New professor who is pretty fresh out of law school. Clerked for a few years after graduating less then 5 years ago, never taught before. But okay

maximator

Postby maximator » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:51 pm

KD35 wrote:I've seen the posts on recommendations on which supplements are good for the different 1L classes, but I'm having a problem that could elicit a slightly different response.

Our 1L contracts class is quite uninformative. Class discussions lack direction and the new-ness of the professor is evident with her inability to really express what we are supposed to get out of class and the lack of direction in the Socratic method. As such, the general sentiment already in our section is that Contracts will primarily have to be self-taught. My question then is: Are there any supplements that could essentially serve as a alternative to learning in the classroom? Or should I just stick with the usual Emmanuels/Hornbook/etc. recommendations?

So you've seen posts discussing recommended supplements but are asking advice on which supplements to use? I don't really think that advice is going to change even if you think your professor is crappy.

rad21

Postby rad21 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:53 pm

CALI

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:55 pm

KD35 wrote:
UnderrateOverachieve wrote:Aren't you like 1-2 weeks into class...? Ask students that have taken the class before you. I have seen such radically different methods of teaching contracts at my school. Outlines from older students seemed to be the only thing that worked well since the class was so specific to the teacher's style.

New professor who is pretty fresh out of law school. Clerked for a few years after graduating less then 5 years ago, never taught before. But okay

I love how you, A FUCKING 1L, who has never taken (or taught) a law school class before is already judging the quality of the professors after a couple weeks. If there is a problem this early is it probably you.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:56 pm

Farnsworth is worth its weight in gold.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:57 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:The thin blue book with the sailboat on the cover. Chirelstein or something.

This is credited if your prof doesn't really give a shit about the UCC, mine didn't.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:12 pm

RELIC wrote:
KD35 wrote:

I love how you, A FUCKING 1L, who has never taken (or taught) a law school class before is already judging the quality of the professors after a couple weeks. If there is a problem this early is it probably you.

Read his other posts. Gems.

SilvermanBarPrep

Postby SilvermanBarPrep » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:17 pm

The Examples and Explanations Series of books is really good, especially for courses such as Contracts in which applying the law to examples is the only way to truly know whether you understand it. Just don't make the mistake of merely trying to learn the law prior to the final--treat a class like Contracts more like a course in mathematics, where it's not enough to know the content; you need to work through problems (or questions).

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:23 am

SilvermanBarPrep wrote:The Examples and Explanations Series of books is really good, especially for courses such as Contracts in which applying the law to examples is the only way to truly know whether you understand it. Just don't make the mistake of merely trying to learn the law prior to the final--treat a class like Contracts more like a course in mathematics, where it's not enough to know the content; you need to work through problems (or questions).

i like how you promote your bar prep company by answering 1L questions, very clever

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”