Question about joint JD / LLM classes.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Totalimmortal

Question about joint JD / LLM classes.

Postby Totalimmortal » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:24 pm

My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

At least one of my classes has a significant number of LLM students, and I am a lowly 2L. Given that many of these folks have worked in petroleum, the relevant industry, are they likely to totally nuke the curve, or will they likely be excluded?

patrickd139

Re: Question about joint JD / LLM classes.

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:28 pm

Totalimmortal wrote:My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

At least one of my classes has a significant number of LLM students, and I am a lowly 2L. Given that many of these folks have worked in petroleum, the relevant industry, are they likely to totally nuke the curve, or will they likely be excluded?

They're presumably all getting LLMs in something other than tax.

Survey says: you're fine.

Totalimmortal

Postby Totalimmortal » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:34 pm

patrickd139 wrote:

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Tax?

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:07 pm

Totalimmortal wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

The conventional wisdom is you only get a LL M in tax. His post thus takes it to the next step; these doods are not getting their LLM in tax, and thus are PROBABLY just ducking out of jerb search another year and/or are not smart, and consequently they should not prove to be difficult. . . Not sure if I trust that assessment.

Seriously though just ask the prof if they will be weighted in your curve, if that prof has ever taught a class so stacked w/LLMs, and if so what the prof would suggest. If there are legit concerns they will stomp you, yeah I would bail for a diff class if possible.

Totalimmortal

Postby Totalimmortal » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:32 am

Gorki wrote:
Totalimmortal wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

The conventional wisdom is you only get a LL M in tax. His post thus takes it to the next step; these doods are not getting their LLM in tax, and thus are PROBABLY just ducking out of jerb search another year and/or are not smart, and consequently they should not prove to be difficult. . . Not sure if I trust that assessment.

Seriously though just ask the prof if they will be weighted in your curve, if that prof has ever taught a class so stacked w/LLMs, and if so what the prof would suggest. If there are legit concerns they will stomp you, yeah I would bail for a diff class if possible.
Thanks for the explanation. These folks are going for an LLM in energy, so yeah, I'm gonna have a bad time. Will drop if 13 hours and a journal is still considered full time.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”