Drop classes with no outlines / no supplements?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Drop classes with no outlines / no supplements?

Postby Bronck » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:15 am

2L. Currently signed up for 2 classes that I'm tempted to drop. One is purportedly hard and requires above average work -- because there are no supplements are outlines, it's much harder to just not do the readings (grade is split up b/t papers and a final). The other is slightly above average work load, but not necessarily really hard. Neither are seminars.

Also signed up for Corps and a joke class. Drop those two and sign up for ones with supps / outlines / see if I can get into an easy-ish seminar even if it doesn't interest me?

Peg
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:32 am

Re: Drop classes with no outlines / no supplements?

Postby Peg » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:08 pm

When you say "no outlines", do you mean there is no outline bank already available, or that the professor has a "no open book exam" policy?

Usually a closed book exam has an easier curve because it's harder.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Drop classes with no outlines / no supplements?

Postby Bronck » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:37 pm

Peg wrote:When you say "no outlines", do you mean there is no outline bank already available, or that the professor has a "no open book exam" policy?

Usually a closed book exam has an easier curve because it's harder.


No outline banks already available

UnderrateOverachieve
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Re: Drop classes with no outlines / no supplements?

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:04 pm

I would drop it. I haven't had too many classes I would say were invaluable. The grade is the only important part for me.

User avatar
SilvermanBarPrep
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:19 pm

Re: Drop classes with no outlines / no supplements?

Postby SilvermanBarPrep » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:50 pm

It's definitely helpful to have an outline to turn to when you get stuck, so if the classes you are currently signed up for aren't all that important to you, the balance probably weighs in favor of taking classes that have some supplements out there to assist you if you need help.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Drop classes with no outlines / no supplements?

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:42 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Drop classes with no outlines / no supplements?

Postby Bronck » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:48 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
Bronck wrote:
Peg wrote:When you say "no outlines", do you mean there is no outline bank already available, or that the professor has a "no open book exam" policy?

Usually a closed book exam has an easier curve because it's harder.


No outline banks already available

i am leaning toward drop based on the limited facts... is there anything else that you can say? PM me if you need to.


Sent. Thanks for the help.

Gorki
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Drop classes with no outlines / no supplements?

Postby Gorki » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:56 pm

OP I took 2 classes like this that were entirely focused on my state's law. I did better in them mainly b/c the usual supplement/commercial PT crowd could not game the system for an advantage... I did well in them, even tho learning the stuff was a chore at times.

If you are solid in your belief you can use commercial resources better than your peers tho, drop and take a doctrinal course.

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1394
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Drop classes with no outlines / no supplements?

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:40 pm

Can i just say, as a former law student and now lawyer - jesus christ, you're going to drop a class because you can't find someone else's outline and are incapable of original work? Are you not learning how to learn yet? Did you not learn how to learn as a 1L? In the real world, sometimes you have to do original work. Maybe, rather than shirk from a challenge because of the requirement for original thought, you embrace the opportunity to hone your critical thinking skills?

if the retort is that you are gaming for the best grades, well any class that has an outline bank will level the playing field just as much as a class in which no one has prior outlines. I just don't think actively selecting the path of least resistance and ease is the best approach to prepare for a profession that rewards those willing to take on challenge.

Am I the only one who thinks aversion to challenge for lack of a trail blazer is not an admirable trait for a lawyer?

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: Drop classes with no outlines / no supplements?

Postby Void » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:33 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Can i just say, as a former law student and now lawyer - jesus christ, you're going to drop a class because you can't find someone else's outline and are incapable of original work? Are you not learning how to learn yet? Did you not learn how to learn as a 1L? In the real world, sometimes you have to do original work. Maybe, rather than shirk from a challenge because of the requirement for original thought, you embrace the opportunity to hone your critical thinking skills?

if the retort is that you are gaming for the best grades, well any class that has an outline bank will level the playing field just as much as a class in which no one has prior outlines. I just don't think actively selecting the path of least resistance and ease is the best approach to prepare for a profession that rewards those willing to take on challenge.

Am I the only one who thinks aversion to challenge for lack of a trail blazer is not an admirable trait for a lawyer?


You're not the only one. Commercial outlines & supplements are for lazies. Just suck it up and do the fucking reading like a real student.

kenji
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:17 am

Re: Drop classes with no outlines / no supplements?

Postby kenji » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:29 pm

Drop the classes.

Lol law school has nothing to do with being a lawyer and is completely useless in teaching people how to be lawyers. The readings are useless, the professors are useless, and you learn nothing. Then, you go into a career that has nothing to do with what teachers shoved down your throat for 3 years. Law school damn sure doesn't "hone critical thinking skills".

Considering how useless and expensive law school is, taking the path of least resistance makes it tolerable. Don't worker than necessary in a class that you won't actually benefit from anyways.

User avatar
bruinfan10
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Drop classes with no outlines / no supplements?

Postby bruinfan10 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:48 pm

.
Last edited by bruinfan10 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randomnumbers
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:26 pm

Re: Drop classes with no outlines / no supplements?

Postby Randomnumbers » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:43 pm

If you care about grades, classes with no outlines available are the best, because it is easier to differentiate yourself if you put in the work. If all you care about is doing less work, then obviously drop them.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Drop classes with no outlines / no supplements?

Postby rad lulz » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:45 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:If you care about grades, classes with no outlines available are the best, because it is easier to differentiate yourself if you put in the work. If all you care about is doing less work, then obviously drop them.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Drop classes with no outlines / no supplements?

Postby bk1 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:05 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Can i just say, as a former law student and now lawyer - jesus christ, you're going to drop a class because you can't find someone else's outline and are incapable of original work? Are you not learning how to learn yet? Did you not learn how to learn as a 1L? In the real world, sometimes you have to do original work. Maybe, rather than shirk from a challenge because of the requirement for original thought, you embrace the opportunity to hone your critical thinking skills?

if the retort is that you are gaming for the best grades, well any class that has an outline bank will level the playing field just as much as a class in which no one has prior outlines. I just don't think actively selecting the path of least resistance and ease is the best approach to prepare for a profession that rewards those willing to take on challenge.

Am I the only one who thinks aversion to challenge for lack of a trail blazer is not an admirable trait for a lawyer?

So you never take shortcuts in life?

Just because someone wants to put in minimal work for something that objectively teaches almost nothing relevant to practicing law doesn't mean they are lazy in every other area of life. For example, some fats are extremely hard workers yet are super lazy about food and exercise. Some fit people are extremely lazy when it comes to work yet work super hard at the gym. Is this a hard concept for you to understand?

Also lol at "lack of a trail blazer." Lawyers are some of the most risk averse people on the planet. I doubt many of them are so called trail blazers.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests