Becoming a 1L

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Lumieres

Becoming a 1L

Postby Lumieres » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:10 am

With classes starting this week, is anyone else having major anxiety for not doing any substantial 0L prep?

I only read the first two chapters of GTM, and I wish I had just done LEEWS. Too late now, and I feel like I'm screwed even though it is only orientation week.

europhile

Re: Becoming a 1L

Postby europhile » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:23 am

Wormfather wrote:
Lumieres wrote:With classes starting this week, is anyone else having major anxiety for not doing any substantial 0L prep?

I only read the first two chapters of GTM, and I wish I had just done LEEWS. Too late now, and I feel like I'm screwed even though it is only orientation week.

Too late to drop out? Or maybe ask for a deferral? :lol:

Dude, you're gonna be fine. All the experienced law students keep emphasizing that every professor will let you know what they want out of you. And no amount of prep is going to help you get a leg up on the shitty professors who dont (either because they're sadistic or just not good at it).

Chill, it'll be your last opportunity to do so for a lifetime or so.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:25 am

europhile wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
Lumieres wrote:With classes starting this week, is anyone else having major anxiety for not doing any substantial 0L prep?

Dude, you're gonna be fine. All the experienced law students keep emphasizing that every professor will let you know what they want out of you. And no amount of prep is going to help you get a leg up on the shitty professors who dont (either because they're sadistic or just not good at it).

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:46 am

Ok, we shall see.

"Chill" - I was planning on doing just that over the weekend, until I realized that my LR&W prof assigned us 200+ pages to read before our 1st class.

C'mon.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:49 am

Reading for LRW is a waste, but go for it man. Also, many of my classmates did LEEWS/GTM in November and were fine. It's probably better to get the practice in closer to exam time.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:47 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:42 am

get used to the anxiety, it isn't going anywhere for a longgggg time

eerie_erie

Postby eerie_erie » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:12 pm

thegrayman wrote:get used to the anxiety, it isn't going anywhere for a longgggg time

This. Might as well get used to the uncertainty and pressure now.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:15 pm

d00d. You're already behind.

Srsly. Relax until November. Sure, take good notes and clean those notes up every so often, but stop freaking out now. So many people do stupid shit in Aug-Sept that won't help them in Nov-Dec.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:20 pm

Jsa725 wrote:Protip: your SOLE focus from day número uno should be the final exam... If what you are doing wont help you on the final, then stop and do something else.

And... Relax. I did not study past 6 or 7pm until the month before finals. I was lax as fuck during the semester and it helped me stay sane while people around me were losing their minds. YMMV.

I agree. The trap with LS is people feel lost right away and start staying in the library late for no reason. You shouldn't be working like crazy until November.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:18 pm

And really you wouldn't imagine you'll really be even that busy until you get your first LRW assignment. At least thats the sentiment at my LS.

resilience99

Postby resilience99 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:25 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:Protip: your SOLE focus from day número uno should be the final exam... If what you are doing wont help you on the final, then stop and do something else.

And... Relax. I did not study past 6 or 7pm until the month before finals. I was lax as fuck during the semester and it helped me stay sane while people around me were losing their minds. YMMV.

I agree. The trap with LS is people feel lost right away and start staying in the library late for no reason. You shouldn't be working like crazy until November.

how do you know if you are doing to much between now and Nov?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:33 pm

resilience99 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

Do all of the reading and don't worry about much else. People that tried to outline from day one generally didn't do as well than those that waited until a month out. Unfortunately, it takes until close to the end of the semester to be able to crystallize the material to make a cohesive outline. Also, I wouldn't turn to supplements or doing practice exams until November as well. Resources like that are most helpful when most of the class is over.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:36 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
resilience99 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

Do all of the reading and don't worry about much else. People that tried to outline from day one generally didn't do as well than those that waited until a month out. Unfortunately, it takes until close to the end of the semester to be able to crystallize the material to make a cohesive outline. Also, I wouldn't turn to supplements or doing practice exams until November as well. Resources like that are most helpful when most of the class is over.

Actually in terms out outlining, people work better with different strategies. I know the people that have done the best will outline after each section they talk about (so outlining after intentional torts for example). For some sections that'll mean a month. For other sections, it'll mean not that long.
Also an issue with waiting on outlining til later on is you don't have it as part of your regular routine, and then you add LRW assignments AND outlining around the same time. Adds a lot more to workload at once versus adding bit by bit. And supplements like the E&E series are really good for actually any time during the semester because of how they are organized.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:11 am

I never read LEEWS and read about 5-10 pages of GTM about a week before finals. Don't think it would've made any difference in my performance.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:25 am

As long as you're smart, hard working, and lucky, you'll be fine. If not, you won't. Hope that helps.

Beachbum89

Postby Beachbum89 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:54 pm

I can't imagine doing anything during my summer before 1L that would've made me more prepared. I did no prep and I think (and hope) most of my classmates were the same way. Most of 1L is just figuring out what law school is about and not freaking out when your classmates are. Yes it's hard and at times stressful but it is not impossible. A little bit of that feeling that "everyone is smarter than me" is a good thing but try to keep it in check. Other than that don't get discouraged if you don't understand everything. You won't and anyone that says they do is lying right now.

theInnerCircle

Postby theInnerCircle » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:25 am

Wormfather wrote:

I got this vibe after I went through orientation recently. like "i DONT have to stress as much as i thought". quite nice. seems like a lot of people are still freaking out though, and try too hard to sound overly intelligent when called on. :|

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:56 am

Wormfather wrote:
Beachbum89 wrote:I can't imagine doing anything during my summer before 1L that would've made me more prepared. I did no prep and I think (and hope) most of my classmates were the same way. Most of 1L is just figuring out what law school is about and not freaking out when your classmates are. Yes it's hard and at times stressful but it is not impossible. A little bit of that feeling that "everyone is smarter than me" is a good thing but try to keep it in check. Other than that don't get discouraged if you don't understand everything. You won't and anyone that says they do is lying right now.

Right as I'm about to start a thread titled "Incoming 1L taking questions from other incoming 1Ls"

Haha. Do it, worm.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:46 am

ImNoScar wrote:Do all of the reading and don't worry about much else. People that tried to outline from day one generally didn't do as well than those that waited until a month out. Unfortunately, it takes until close to the end of the semester to be able to crystallize the material to make a cohesive outline. Also, I wouldn't turn to supplements or doing practice exams until November as well. Resources like that are most helpful when most of the class is over.

This is credited, although I think saying that the people who outlined early didn't do as well is misleading. The ones who never figured out how to outline properly are the ones that probably did not do as well.

That said, I tried to make my outlines too early and had to remake a few times. What's worse was that the "academic success coordinator" told us we had to start making our outlines immediately. I tried sitting down and having a conversation with that man twice. Neither one ended well. He knew mantras and assumed that being in his position made them right.

Don't be afraid to experiment, either. You gotta figure out what works for you, not everyone else. If you had good study habits during undergrad, don't abandon them just because law school is a bit different (on the other hand, if you know you had bad habits, definitely dump them and try something else). Focus on learning the material first. After that, focus on learning the material efficiently.

Also, stay away from supplements for the first few months. Some people are going to disagree with me on this, but I firmly feel that, whatever your grades may be, you have to learn to analyze cases to be an efficient lawyer. Judges do not write cases for your convenience, and there are no supplements for a case that just came out a week ago. Spend some time learning to read cases. If you can read the crud they shove down your gullet your 1L year, you'll be fine for most modern cases.

Postby 06102016 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:03 am

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:16 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:04 pm

Just curious, but what made you different from the people who "sounded good" in class?

You did the reading and even brought in an online case brief, but were you not able to answer some of the professor's questions?

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Ok, thanks.

On a side note, I can't imagine what the 1Ls with scholly stips of top half or top 2/3 are feeling right now...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”