How to Backup Computer Files

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
JuniperCreekEsq
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:17 pm

How to Backup Computer Files

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:26 am

I'm using dropbox already. Any other place where my LS notes should be backed up onto? Thanks!

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby Bikeflip » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:23 am

An external HD and Time Machine if you have a Mac. However, I use Time Machine more for reinstalling my OS and my applications for the day my hard drive crashes.

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby Void » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:56 am

Definitely don't ONLY save in dropbox. Dropbox keeps your files safe from spilled coffee and a dropped laptop, but it doesn't protect you from those times when you somehow delete everything and then save the file.

But if you're saving onto your hard drive and also onto dropbox, you're probably fine.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11723
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby kalvano » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:13 am

Void wrote:Definitely don't ONLY save in dropbox. Dropbox keeps your files safe from spilled coffee and a dropped laptop, but it doesn't protect you from those times when you somehow delete everything and then save the file.

But if you're saving onto your hard drive and also onto dropbox, you're probably fine.



The web version of Dropbox allows for undeletion of files.

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby goldeneye » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:44 am

Carbonite isn't bad. Not too expensive but it works.

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby Void » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:11 pm

kalvano wrote:
Void wrote:Definitely don't ONLY save in dropbox. Dropbox keeps your files safe from spilled coffee and a dropped laptop, but it doesn't protect you from those times when you somehow delete everything and then save the file.

But if you're saving onto your hard drive and also onto dropbox, you're probably fine.



The web version of Dropbox allows for undeletion of files.


But what about when you open "tortsnotes.doc" while you're drunk, hit the keyboard shortcut for select-all, hit backspace, and then hit the keyboard shortcut for "save"? If it is preset to save in your dropbox folder, you're fuckled. Sounds crazy but this has happened to me.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22835
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:22 pm

Void wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Void wrote:Definitely don't ONLY save in dropbox. Dropbox keeps your files safe from spilled coffee and a dropped laptop, but it doesn't protect you from those times when you somehow delete everything and then save the file.

But if you're saving onto your hard drive and also onto dropbox, you're probably fine.



The web version of Dropbox allows for undeletion of files.


But what about when you open "tortsnotes.doc" while you're drunk, hit the keyboard shortcut for select-all, hit backspace, and then hit the keyboard shortcut for "save"? If it is preset to save in your dropbox folder, you're fuckled. Sounds crazy but this has happened to me.

I don't know for certain that Dropbox does this, but a lot of backup programs save all the previous versions of a document, too (until you run out of space and it starts deleting the oldest ones). So when you need your backup, you can pick one of the older versions of tortnotes.doc, not the most recent one you just erased.

ZVBXRPL
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby ZVBXRPL » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:29 pm

Google Drive is free and you are able to access your data from any computer.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2833
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby haus » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:35 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Void wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Void wrote:Definitely don't ONLY save in dropbox. Dropbox keeps your files safe from spilled coffee and a dropped laptop, but it doesn't protect you from those times when you somehow delete everything and then save the file.

But if you're saving onto your hard drive and also onto dropbox, you're probably fine.



The web version of Dropbox allows for undeletion of files.


But what about when you open "tortsnotes.doc" while you're drunk, hit the keyboard shortcut for select-all, hit backspace, and then hit the keyboard shortcut for "save"? If it is preset to save in your dropbox folder, you're fuckled. Sounds crazy but this has happened to me.

I don't know for certain that Dropbox does this, but a lot of backup programs save all the previous versions of a document, too (until you run out of space and it starts deleting the oldest ones). So when you need your backup, you can pick one of the older versions of tortnotes.doc, not the most recent one you just erased.

Dropbox does have limited support for past versions, but it is still primarily a syncing tool vice a back-up solution.

I think that Void makes a good point, for truly important information, an effort should be made to have a deeper solution in place. Carbonite (as mentioned by goldeneye) seems to be a reasonable choice, plus by using them, you a supporting someone who stood up successfully against a patent troll (http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/06/ ... k-part-two), and for Macs Time Machine (as mentioned by Bikeflip) is a good tool, with a very easy to use interface.

Personally, I use a mixture. I use dropbox for things that are reasonable active, almost everything on my personal computers is backed up via Time Machine (I have two drives that I swap out roughly every month, the drive not in use is taken off-site), some files I have decided would be too painful to lose I also host a extra copy on a remote server I manage.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11723
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby kalvano » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Void wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Void wrote:Definitely don't ONLY save in dropbox. Dropbox keeps your files safe from spilled coffee and a dropped laptop, but it doesn't protect you from those times when you somehow delete everything and then save the file.

But if you're saving onto your hard drive and also onto dropbox, you're probably fine.



The web version of Dropbox allows for undeletion of files.


But what about when you open "tortsnotes.doc" while you're drunk, hit the keyboard shortcut for select-all, hit backspace, and then hit the keyboard shortcut for "save"? If it is preset to save in your dropbox folder, you're fuckled. Sounds crazy but this has happened to me.


It saves the past several versions, until space becomes an issue.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2833
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby haus » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:57 pm

kalvano wrote:It saves the past several versions, until space becomes an issue.

On the free account, it is easy to bump up against the space limitations. Which makes the accidental modification of a file more traumatic, when there is no space for the previous version to have been kept.

Of course, purchasing extra space would help, but at $100+/yr for 100MB storage through dropbox is a bit pricy (a 1 TB USB drive can be had for this price). As with many things in life there is a cost/convenience trade off that must be considered.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby 09042014 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:03 pm

How much does Dropbox give? I have like 5 GB of space. That's more than enough for backing up law related files. Just don't try backing up media on it.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2833
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby haus » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:How much does Dropbox give? I have like 5 GB of space. That's more than enough for backing up law related files. Just don't try backing up media on it.

It varies, depending on what promotion you come in on and what hoops you jump through. But the free accounts seem to range from 2-10GB.

If you selective to school files, this (especially at the mid-to-top of the range) should be plenty for school files. Just be sure to keep the files you store there focused on these things, it is really easy to get sucked up into scope creep (notice the advertisements they are sending people, trying to get them to store photos in Dropbox, this can eat 5GB pretty quick.

User avatar
Leaborb192
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby Leaborb192 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:19 pm

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:I'm using dropbox already. Any other place where my LS notes should be backed up onto? Thanks!



Google Drive? I swear by it. I save all my grad school and teaching stuff on there. Hasn't disappointed me yet. :mrgreen:

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:00 pm

I just used dropbox all throughout college and will probably stick with that. If there's anything SUPER SUPER important, put it on a USB drive too and you'll be good.

I keep a minimal amount of non school related files on Dropbox (about 100MB worth) and back up any big stuff (movies, music, etc.) once a year or so on an external HD. Dropbox is plenty of space if, as others have noted, you only keep school related or other text files on it. I've had very good experiences with Dropbox's history feature, too, when I need to access past versions of a file. It really saved me quite a few times in college.

Google Drive is nice, but it was glitchy for me and Dropbox has more useful features (plus I like supporting the little guy... and really anyone is the little guy compared to google) and they are always developing more in a way that google doesn't because google doesn't need to in order to compete. Dropbox also has a lot of support, where as Google Drive is like any other google product - if something happens, you're screwed because there is virtually no support. (Actually, even if you pay for an Apps for Business account they basically offer no support.)

J. D.
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:20 pm

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby J. D. » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:38 pm

I like use Passport external. Mine (an older version) has 500G. The newer one has 1T for $65.00. Certainly handles backups with plenty of room to spare. I use Norton to do the backup process. I have never had to use it in an emergency situation, so not sure exactly what happens at that point. Hope I never have to find out.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby Bikeflip » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:05 pm

haus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:How much does Dropbox give? I have like 5 GB of space. That's more than enough for backing up law related files. Just don't try backing up media on it.

It varies, depending on what promotion you come in on and what hoops you jump through. But the free accounts seem to range from 2-10GB.

If you selective to school files, this (especially at the mid-to-top of the range) should be plenty for school files. Just be sure to keep the files you store there focused on these things, it is really easy to get sucked up into scope creep (notice the advertisements they are sending people, trying to get them to store photos in Dropbox, this can eat 5GB pretty quick.


My free Dropbox is 20GB. I started at 3, then "synched" my phone's photos to it, which got me 3. Then there was some promotion where Dropbox tried to get everyone at my school to use Dropbox, and that added another 5. I forget where the other 9 came from, but I probably for 3 GB by "inviting" my throw away email account to use Dropbox.

GJWheeler
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:20 pm

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby GJWheeler » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:24 am

Desert Fox wrote:How much does Dropbox give? I have like 5 GB of space. That's more than enough for backing up law related files. Just don't try backing up media on it.

5GB is enough for your notes and briefs? you must enjoy FAILING

wolverine10
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:27 am

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby wolverine10 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:47 am

Mad my harddrive crash during my first semester the day before my second legal writing assignment was due. Thankfully I printed it out to do a final edit by hand. I used time machine so when my new Mac was ready I just plugged it in and it was just like it was prior to the crash. But make sure you back it up regularly if you do this otherwise if it crashes you lose everything not backed up prior to that.

User avatar
LAWYER2
Posts: 576
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:15 pm

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby LAWYER2 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:54 pm

google drive and drop box are great. However if you're using OneNote and don't have a skydrive, you're doing it WRONG! I sync my OneNote to my skydrive and its always up to date no matter if I'm on my pc at work, home, or laptop @ school. Cloud computing is the future.
I prefer skydrive because its Microsoft and all MS Office apps are compatible whereas w/ google you have to do some conversions

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2833
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby haus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:33 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:Cloud computing is the future.

Keep in mind that cloud computing is effectively a buzzword/phrase for systems that you have little or no administrative control over providing a user a service. This is all well and good when the stakes are low, such as school assignments, but a surprisingly low amount of information professionals (think lawyers, accountants) give real consideration to the saftey and security of their data. In some cases, trusting client information to online services run by organizations with business models and motivations that one does not know or understand is a questionable practice.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:35 pm

haus wrote:
LAWYER2 wrote:Cloud computing is the future.

Keep in mind that cloud computing is effectively a buzzword/phrase for systems that you have little or no administrative control over providing a user a service. This is all well and good when the stakes are low, such as school assignments, but a surprisingly low amount of information professionals (think lawyers, accountants) give real consideration to the saftey and security of their data. In some cases, trusting client information to online services run by organizations with business models and motivations that one does not know or understand is a questionable practice.


Firms just do their own cloud. Not as slick as google's but it works.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11723
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:07 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:google drive and drop box are great. However if you're using OneNote and don't have a skydrive, you're doing it WRONG! I sync my OneNote to my skydrive and its always up to date no matter if I'm on my pc at work, home, or laptop @ school. Cloud computing is the future.
I prefer skydrive because its Microsoft and all MS Office apps are compatible whereas w/ google you have to do some conversions


You can do the same thing with Dropbox. There is very little, if any, difference between all the cloud storage options, it's just whichever one you've decided to use.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11723
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:09 pm

haus wrote:
LAWYER2 wrote:Cloud computing is the future.

Keep in mind that cloud computing is effectively a buzzword/phrase for systems that you have little or no administrative control over providing a user a service. This is all well and good when the stakes are low, such as school assignments, but a surprisingly low amount of information professionals (think lawyers, accountants) give real consideration to the saftey and security of their data. In some cases, trusting client information to online services run by organizations with business models and motivations that one does not know or understand is a questionable practice.


Firms rent cloud storage space from companies that provide secure storage. It's a huge business these days for things like medical records and whatnot. Storage companies have different levels of compliance they can be certified to in order to comply with federal law.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2833
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: How to Backup Computer Files

Postby haus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:29 pm

kalvano wrote:
haus wrote:
LAWYER2 wrote:Cloud computing is the future.

Keep in mind that cloud computing is effectively a buzzword/phrase for systems that you have little or no administrative control over providing a user a service. This is all well and good when the stakes are low, such as school assignments, but a surprisingly low amount of information professionals (think lawyers, accountants) give real consideration to the saftey and security of their data. In some cases, trusting client information to online services run by organizations with business models and motivations that one does not know or understand is a questionable practice.


Firms rent cloud storage space from companies that provide secure storage. It's a huge business these days for things like medical records and whatnot. Storage companies have different levels of compliance they can be certified to in order to comply with federal law.

The quality of these services and the value of their 'certifications' vary wildly. Major, well funded firms seem to take these things seriously, but there is a large segment of the market that have little to know idea what level of service they are really getting. There is marketing talk about FIPS 140-2 certified cloud storage, but this is a misnomer, FIPS 140-2 certification is not provided for a provider, it is provided for a tool. There is now a management tool used to control systems in a cloud environment which has received FIPS 140-2 certification, but the setup, configuration, and management of this tool will determine if you remain in compliance. And with moth cloud providers you will have little to no visibility into this level of management to ensure that you remain compliant.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: candidlatke, deadthrone7, perfunctory, Stubbazubba, TheSpanishMain and 11 guests