Is 30k a good salary for a law grad?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Is 30k a good salary for a law grad?

Postby timbs4339 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:00 pm

Moves like JAGger wrote:
Void wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
Void wrote: U-haul is just until his JAG gig starts up.


yes but why would he choose a u-haul gig over a legal one if "he really wants to be a lawyer"?


JAG starts in a couple of months, IIRC. How is he supposed to find legal work that only lasts a couple of months? Of are you just trying to make some kind of point?

Now that you mention it though, I did find it confusing that he kept updating the thread with details of his temporary UHaul gig. Why did that ever matter, if he has JAG lined up? What is this thread even here for???


It's just my personal anecdote that I chose to share with anyone interested. I posted details about the entry level u-haul gig because I was amazed that it could pay better than a law clerk position at a firm in Manhattan where I've worked for two years. It was surprising to me, but obviously not to others.

If I didn't have another legal opportunity lined up, I wouldn't be taking the U-haul gig...even if it offered $60,000. I also would've pushed for more money at the job I've got now. Coudld've made an appeal to the senior partner and gotten 40 or 45, maybe. That would be somewhat liveable.

It's a struggle out there, for sure. Good luck to all who are searching and thanks for reading.


The fact that you have two years of experience is what is terrible. Usually they can get away with offering people 30K with no experience. Are you sure it's not just a lowball offer and they wouldn't take 45K or 50K?

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Is 30k a good salary for a law grad?

Postby Scotusnerd » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:01 pm

timbs4339 wrote:The fact that you have two years of experience is what is terrible. Usually they can get away with offering people 30K with no experience. Are you sure it's not just a lowball offer and they wouldn't take 45K or 50K?


I ain't doing a masters and a bachelors and a bar exam for no 30k. Especially not in NY.

nelaw2010
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:48 am

Re: Is 30k a good salary for a law grad?

Postby nelaw2010 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:22 pm

Void wrote:
nelaw2010 wrote:Doorman in NY makes at least $80k/year.


"At least?" So the lowest paid doorman in the entire city makes $80k? I know this is TLS but that's a pretty ridiculous exaggeration.


Ok. My sister goes to Columbia. The doorman at the Columbia owned building (not a dorm) makes $80k/yr.

But still, $30k out of law school??

Gorki
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Is 30k a good salary for a law grad?

Postby Gorki » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:38 pm

nelaw2010 wrote:
Void wrote:
nelaw2010 wrote:Doorman in NY makes at least $80k/year.


"At least?" So the lowest paid doorman in the entire city makes $80k? I know this is TLS but that's a pretty ridiculous exaggeration.


Ok. My sister goes to Columbia. The doorman at the Columbia owned building (not a dorm) makes $80k/yr.

But still, $30k out of law school??


Yep. Welcome to the rest/end of life for quite a few law grads.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Is 30k a good salary for a law grad?

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:40 am

Scotusnerd wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:The fact that you have two years of experience is what is terrible. Usually they can get away with offering people 30K with no experience. Are you sure it's not just a lowball offer and they wouldn't take 45K or 50K?


I ain't doing a masters and a bachelors and a bar exam for no 30k. Especially not in NY.


Then you better go to a good law school. Hell, 20% of GWs class of 2012 was working for around 22K in their fellowship program.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Is 30k a good salary for a law grad?

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:40 am

Gorki wrote:
nelaw2010 wrote:
Void wrote:
nelaw2010 wrote:Doorman in NY makes at least $80k/year.


"At least?" So the lowest paid doorman in the entire city makes $80k? I know this is TLS but that's a pretty ridiculous exaggeration.


Ok. My sister goes to Columbia. The doorman at the Columbia owned building (not a dorm) makes $80k/yr.

But still, $30k out of law school??


Yep. Welcome to the rest/end of life for quite a few law grads.


This. It's not a ticket to the upper middle class anymore, if there ever was a time that was true.

Gorki
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Is 30k a good salary for a law grad?

Postby Gorki » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:52 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
This. It's not a ticket to the upper middle class anymore, if there ever was a time that was true.


Lower ranked schools never placed big in BIGLAW, but the costs were about the equiv a student could make clerking part time... so when you graduated jobless w/less debt you had more options to realistically go solo.

Now Boomers have ruined the economy, imposed tort reform, and instituted mandatory arbitration which companies can easily manipulate, and thus there is no Ps work that pays for a solo-style practice.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Is 30k a good salary for a law grad?

Postby Borhas » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:23 pm

Working at haul seems like a chill way to ease on into JAG. Good luck dude




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acr, Baidu [Spider], LandMermaid, Yahoo [Bot] and 10 guests