Withdrawing and reapplying - Odd situation

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
tower.ii

Withdrawing and reapplying - Odd situation

Postby tower.ii » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:22 am

I'm in a weird situation where I completed 1L at a low tier 1 law school on a scholarship, finished in the top 30%, but chose to withdraw because a very unique opportunity presented itself. I'm an international student and was invited to try out for my country's national sports team in preparation for the 2014 Commonwealth Games [ended up making the training squad]. I know that I would like to complete law school at some point but my current institution wasn't very accommodating when it came to figuring out scheduling conflicts with tours, etc. How feasible is it to reapply to a law school after withdrawing from another one [albeit in good academic standing]? Is it looked upon unfavourably by admission committees? I retook the LSAT and scored significantly higher [175 from a 166] and was hoping to apply to a slightly more prestigious institution. Would the withdrawal be detrimental to my application? Does anyone have experience with withdrawals and reapplications in general?

Cheers in advance.

jump_man

Re: Withdrawing and reapplying - Odd situation

Postby jump_man » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:16 am

I don't think situation is as uncommon as you think. Some law schools will even hold onto previous application materials for re-applicants. I'm sure that many schools would love to have that 175 LSAT, and playing on a national sports team could make for a very compelling personal statement (it shows your competitive spirit, etc-).

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:22 am

I know people who have started over again at new institutions, so it happens.

Congratulations on your sports success! Better reason than the other ones I have heard.

tower.ii

Postby tower.ii » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Thank you both for the prompt replies.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:59 pm

Not that I know from experience, but I suspect you'll be fine reapplying - or shit, a new school might dig your life story and accept you as a transfer. Also - women. Women will like it. (Assuming you're a dude.) "Yeah I'm so badass I quit lawschool to play a sport and then went back and they were all like 'Welcome back.' That's how I roll." You'll be fineeeeee.

tower.ii

Postby tower.ii » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:40 pm

Hahaha, thanks for the show of faith.

I guess my only concern is how a mediocre GPA from my old school would be viewed by adcomms at whatever new school I'm applying to, especially any of the T-14s. Apparently if you appear for any exams, you have to release your transcript.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”