MEE essay mdoel answers

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
clashjones87

MEE essay mdoel answers

Postby clashjones87 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:14 pm

We have access to model answers for certain state-specific essays (NY, CA, others). But I haven't seen any for the MEE. Do you know of any accessible online? It would be immensely helpful to see what a passing vs non-passing MEE essay answer looks like. BarBri's self-grading essays only grant point for stating things correctly, but I have heard anecdotally on the forums that stating law that is reasonable and writing well is often enough to get you passing or fairly close to it, so BarBri's system seems imperfect.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: MEE essay mdoel answers

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:40 pm

clashjones87 wrote:We have access to model answers for certain state-specific essays (NY, CA, others). But I haven't seen any for the MEE. Do you know of any accessible online? It would be immensely helpful to see what a passing vs non-passing MEE essay answer looks like. BarBri's self-grading essays only grant point for stating things correctly, but I have heard anecdotally on the forums that stating law that is reasonable and writing well is often enough to get you passing or fairly close to it, so BarBri's system seems imperfect.

The national bar exam page has some: --LinkRemoved--. However, my impression is that the grading can be very state-specific. I had MEE essays 2 years ago, but my state was very big on buzzwords over organization/application and if you just spewed black-letter law phrases onto the page you'd get points. Conversely, I have heard a lot of states give credit for the "make up the law but apply it correctly" approach, which probably wouldn't get you as many points in my state (not NY/CA/any of the other biggies). (BarBri gave us a fair amount of info about how the state graded, it seemed to me.)

clashjones87

Postby clashjones87 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:12 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
clashjones87 wrote:We have access to model answers for certain state-specific essays (NY, CA, others). But I haven't seen any for the MEE. Do you know of any accessible online? It would be immensely helpful to see what a passing vs non-passing MEE essay answer looks like. BarBri's self-grading essays only grant point for stating things correctly, but I have heard anecdotally on the forums that stating law that is reasonable and writing well is often enough to get you passing or fairly close to it, so BarBri's system seems imperfect.

The national bar exam page has some: --LinkRemoved--. However, my impression is that the grading can be very state-specific. I had MEE essays 2 years ago, but my state was very big on buzzwords over organization/application and if you just spewed black-letter law phrases onto the page you'd get points. Conversely, I have heard a lot of states give credit for the "make up the law but apply it correctly" approach, which probably wouldn't get you as many points in my state (not NY/CA/any of the other biggies). (BarBri gave us a fair amount of info about how the state graded, it seemed to me.)

Thank you. Your anecdotes and the link are helpful. NCBE's analyses, though, are similar to BarBri's in that they state what the law is and what the analysis should have been. What I'm curious in seeing via model answers is how examiners will grade you if you state the wrong law, but g through a reasonable analysis and arrive at a reasonable conclusion.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:28 pm

clashjones87 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Thank you. Your anecdotes and the link are helpful. NCBE's analyses, though, are similar to BarBri's in that they state what the law is and what the analysis should have been. What I'm curious in seeing via model answers is how examiners will grade you if you state the wrong law, but g through a reasonable analysis and arrive at a reasonable conclusion.

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't know anything about that and I doubt there's much other information floating around. My state's bar exam page of "MEE examples" just links back to the NCBE examples. I don't know, too, if there's a grading difference between actual UBE states and states that just use the MEE but aren't official UBE states (apparently states can either grade based on state law or on common law, for instance).

Personally, I'd try to go with what the examples show, but if you don't know the law then of course you have to come up with something, and putting down made-up law and applying it can't be worse than putting down nothing.

clashjones87

Postby clashjones87 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:58 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
clashjones87 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't know anything about that and I doubt there's much other information floating around. My state's bar exam page of "MEE examples" just links back to the NCBE examples. I don't know, too, if there's a grading difference between actual UBE states and states that just use the MEE but aren't official UBE states (apparently states can either grade based on state law or on common law, for instance).

Personally, I'd try to go with what the examples show, but if you don't know the law then of course you have to come up with something, and putting down made-up law and applying it can't be worse than putting down nothing.

Thanks. I've heard that certain states (e.g., CA) grade essays "wholistically," but I have no idea what this means in practice.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”