NCBE Online MBE Practice Tests

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Old Gregg

Re: NCBE Online MBE Practice Tests

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:33 pm

If you're hitting that high on the NCBEX, odds are you're going to get a good score on the MBE. It might not be as high, but it'll be enough to "pass."

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:03 am

will be taking test 3 tomorrow. was scoring 75-85% on MPQ2 sets 1-7. got 68% (143 scaled) on NCBE test 1. got 77% (159 scaled) on NCBE test 2. my barbri sim full day midterm was 123, the MPQ2 full day was 108. i didn't actually think the NCBE test was super easy, especially test 1 obviously. i kept seeing ghosts of exceptions to exceptions fresh off the barbri ultra hard full day. by test 2, i was more used to the style of questions. i also think they are a lOT quicker. finished test 1 with 40 minutes left, finished test 2 in 2 hours flat. add in 5 more expiremental q's spread out in each 100-question set and suddenly it would seem much harder.

hoping the score translates and i can pull off a 150 on the MBE. after following pace and doing 2000 mbe q's, that would be nice but I'm preparing for the world of 140 and having to do well on all essays. will bump in november :).

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:47 am

Anybody know of any other "old law" questions with any of these tests (i.e. explanation/answer is wrong because law changed)? The only one I noticed was #42 on Test 1.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:02 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Anybody know of any other "old law" questions with any of these tests (i.e. explanation/answer is wrong because law changed)? The only one I noticed was #42 on Test 1.

How was 42 old law?

Talar

Postby Talar » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:24 am

I did test 2 from NCBE and I thought it was a waste of time because I had seen like 80% of the questions already on Themis. I got a 182. I definitely won't be scoring as high on the real MBE.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:36 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Anybody know of any other "old law" questions with any of these tests (i.e. explanation/answer is wrong because law changed)? The only one I noticed was #42 on Test 1.

How was 42 old law?

Didn't a case come out recently that said a search incident to an arrest for automobiles requires that 1) the defendant be unsecured or 2) there's a reasonable belief that evidence of the crime committed will be found in the vehicle? We discussed this in one of the threads.

dudeman2014

Postby dudeman2014 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:20 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:

How was 42 old law?

Didn't a case come out recently that said a search incident to an arrest for automobiles requires that 1) the defendant be unsecured or 2) there's a reasonable belief that evidence of the crime committed will be found in the vehicle? We discussed this in one of the threads.

That case is Gant and you are correct. The law on that question does seem outdated I thought the same thing when I took this test. Glad someone else spotted it too. FWIW that is the only place I saw outdated law. And, there won't be outdated law on the MBE, or if there is because it recently changed, they will credit both responses.

clashjones87

Postby clashjones87 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:40 pm

NCBE test to question 36.

The rule is that ACCEPTANCE is not final until performance is complete but that once an offeror has begun performance, the offer may not be revoked. Is that correct? I was tripped up an selected A

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:48 pm

clashjones87 wrote:NCBE test to question 36.

The rule is that ACCEPTANCE is not final until performance is complete but that once an offeror has begun performance, the offer may not be revoked. Is that correct? I was tripped up an selected A

That's right. For MBE purposes, offeree doesn't complete acceptance until completing the performance, but offeror can't revoke after offeree begins (though some states like NC differ on that).

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:51 pm

Yup, thats right. For a unilateral offer, acceptance doesn't occur until performance is complete. Thus, the party performing can quit at any time and not be in breach of K. But the power to revoke is not valid once performance has begun (which is different than NY, when the offer can be revoked at any point until the party is done performing).

clashjones87

Postby clashjones87 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:26 pm

Thanks!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:55 pm

Is this the one about standing in line at the bank?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:04 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Is this the one about standing in line at the bank?

I believe that is the one.

There was also some question, and I can't remember if it was on an NCBE test or on Multistate Edge, where a professor promised some kind of special bonus for the student who got the top grade in the class. Some kid went to the prof. during office hours, telling him how he bought every supplement and outline, and was working so hard. Answer ended up being that the professor couldn't revoke since the student had begun performance.

I initially got tripped up, and thought he was merely preparing for performance by buying the outlines and supps, but I guess its sort of hard to distinguish and determine when his "hard work" began.
Last edited by kaiser on Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glock

Postby Glock » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:04 pm

I think it was the bank one.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:10 pm

What tripped me up on the bank one is that the guy really didn't do anything for performance. He was already in line and he was in line for a reason completely independant of the offer, sort of like when you return someone's puppy without any knowledge of the reward. The sign didn't induce him to begin performance. He was performing before he even saw the sign.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:15 pm

romothesavior wrote:What tripped me up on the bank one is that the guy really didn't do anything for performance. He was already in line and he was in line for a reason completely independant of the offer, sort of like when you return someone's puppy without any knowledge of the reward. The sign didn't induce him to begin performance. He was performing before he even saw the sign.

Thats only an issue if you completed the deed entirely without knowledge of the offer. I guess its different when you learn of the offer while you are inadvertently performing. That makes it such that, at the magic moment of "acceptance", you in fact know that you are accepting an offer. Whereas, if you don't learn of it until after, the magic moment passed without you ever really accepting anything, since you didn't know about it.
Last edited by kaiser on Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clashjones87

Postby clashjones87 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:15 pm

Yup, bank question.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:What tripped me up on the bank one is that the guy really didn't do anything for performance. He was already in line and he was in line for a reason completely independant of the offer, sort of like when you return someone's puppy without any knowledge of the reward. The sign didn't induce him to begin performance. He was performing before he even saw the sign.

Yeah, that question sucked.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:44 pm

NOTE TO ANYONE CONSIDERING NCBE PRACTICE EXAMS IN THE FUTURE:

I took all of the NCBE exams available, and I just finished taking the bar. The bar was definitely harder than the questions NCBE puts in the practice exams. The real questions are probably somewhere in between what Barbri gives you and what NCBE gives you. The real value in taking these exams is to acclimate yourself to a slightly different style of question. /2cents

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:24 pm

For another opinion, I think the MBE questions were also between the Barbri simulated midterm and the released questions.

However, I thought the questions FELT exactly like Barbri, ie much more similar to Barbri than the released Qs. Barbri did a good job writing their questions, I thought.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:43 pm

5ky wrote:For another opinion, I think the MBE questions were also between the Barbri simulated midterm and the released questions.

However, I thought the questions FELT exactly like Barbri, ie much more similar to Barbri than the released Qs. Barbri did a good job writing their questions, I thought.

I agree with this, though I think a lot of the questions were Barbri-level difficulty or harder. Overall maybe a little easier than Barbri since there were a lot of gimmes, but at least half the test was MPQ5 or harder.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:25 pm

romothesavior wrote:
5ky wrote:For another opinion, I think the MBE questions were also between the Barbri simulated midterm and the released questions.

I agree with this, though I think a lot of the questions were Barbri-level difficulty or harder. Overall maybe a little easier than Barbri since there were a lot of gimmes, but at least half the test was MPQ5 or harder.

IMO it felt about the same as the Sim MBE.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:51 pm

Why the hell does NCBE not makes its for-sale question sets representative of the actual test? WTF is wrong with them? What's the motivation?

clashjones87

Postby clashjones87 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:51 pm

goodolgil wrote:Why the hell does NCBE not makes its for-sale question sets representative of the actual test? WTF is wrong with them? What's the motivation?

you paying to take the test again.

Glock

Postby Glock » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:53 pm

MBE Morning Session: as hard as BarBri Half-day and Full-day exams.

MBE Afternoon Session: only slightly more difficult than released NCBE questions, and definitely easier than BarBri.

On the whole I would say the MBE was harder than MPQ2 sets, but easier than the half/full day BarBri exams. NCBE questions are absolutely easier than the real thing, but it is worth noting that their scaled score appears to compensate for this because you are only weighed against NCBE online takers (I only got a +9 scaling).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”