Post 1L

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
biglaw99

Post 1L

Postby biglaw99 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:20 am

I was just curious if anyone else out there feels different after 1L? More anxiety, broke up with gf of four years and didn't really care, failing to live in the present and always looking at the next step (ex: completion of my 1L SA, then set up fall/spring positions). I know people say law school changes you, but I just wanted to get some general thoughts from TLS. Thanks

kalvano

Re: Post 1L

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:21 am

biglaw99 wrote:I was just curious if anyone else out there feels different after 1L? More anxiety, broke up with gf of four years and didn't really care, failing to live in the present and always looking at the next step (ex: completion of my 1L SA, then set up fall/spring positions). I know people say law school changes you, but I just wanted to get some general thoughts from TLS. Thanks

You didn't survive the horrors of war, you went through a year of post-graduate professional school.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:30 am

I am a different person (for the worse) than when I started law school. More cynical, more obsessive about minor details.

biglaw99

Postby biglaw99 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:42 am

Same here. :twisted:

Danger Zone wrote:I am a different person (for the worse) than when I started law school. More cynical, more obsessive about minor details.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:45 am

Though I've found that hanging out with non-law people is cathartic and will restore your sanity.

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:56 am

I oft awake in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, seeing the slashes of red dripping through my trial brief in the hands of my LRW teacher, cackling as she scrawls "B" across the title page. I can no longer stand the sight of railroads, as the mere thought evokes the terror of the Erie Doctrine. I once thought I heard my mother say "O to A and his heirs". They told me I passed out after screaming for 15 minutes.

If anything I'm probably more an asshole than before.

biglaw99

Postby biglaw99 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:00 am

Nailed it. LMAO

superbloom wrote:I oft awake in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, seeing the slashes of red dripping through my trial brief in the hands of my LRW teacher, cackling as she scrawls "B" across the title page. I can no longer stand the sight of railroads, as the mere thought evokes the terror of the Erie Doctrine. I once thought I heard my mother say "O to A and his heirs". They told me I passed out after screaming for 15 minutes.

If anything I'm probably more an asshole than before.

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:14 am

kalvano wrote:
biglaw99 wrote:I was just curious if anyone else out there feels different after 1L? More anxiety, broke up with gf of four years and didn't really care, failing to live in the present and always looking at the next step (ex: completion of my 1L SA, then set up fall/spring positions). I know people say law school changes you, but I just wanted to get some general thoughts from TLS. Thanks

You didn't survive the horrors of war, you went through a year of post-graduate professional school.

Only thing that changed for me is now I'm focusing on getting ready for 2L instead of 1L.

ETA- if law school changes who you are as a person then you have a fragile character.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:20 am

Devlin wrote:you have a fragile character.

Huh?

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:23 am

If law school doesn't change you then you have a stubborn character.

I think I grew up a lot in a year. Probably more than the first year of college.

biglaw99

Postby biglaw99 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:34 am

RodneyRuxin wrote:

I think I grew up a lot in a year. Probably more than the first year of college.

vinnnyvincenzo

Postby vinnnyvincenzo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:35 am

RodneyRuxin wrote:

Thats not saying much as most people that I know had their maturity level devolve during their first year of college

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:40 am

vinnnyvincenzo wrote:Thats not saying much as most people that I know had their maturity level devolve during their first year of college

We're talking about post 1L, so it would imply that I'm talking about post first year of college.

I know a lot of people who devolved during the first year, but grew up after it for a variety of reasons (got shit on w/ grades, picked up a SO, got tired of hangovers, etc.).

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Unless she was a really shitty gf, not caring about the end of a 4-year relationship - coupled with anxiety and inability to enjoy the moment - is sort of a mental warning sign tbh.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:19 pm

OP: Get some professional help because you sound emotionally numb and that's a major sign of depression. And no, it's not uncommon among law students/lawyers and you are not alone.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:06 pm

I am more of a cynical asshole (more me than as a result of teh lewl skooz). Look like less of a rising star to my family. Can pronounce 15-20 more french and latin words than 2 years ago.

LS did not impact my marriage much. I suspect my more serious approach to work/school is partly law school, partly aging out of my early 20s.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:10 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Unless she was a really shitty gf, not caring about the end of a 4-year relationship - coupled with anxiety and inability to enjoy the moment - is sort of a mental warning sign tbh.

Eh... sometimes that shit just ran it's course and it's time to end it. I ended a long relationship and I didn't go through any emotional turmoil over it.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:01 pm

If I had to do it all over again, I would NOT be in a relationship during 1L, especially if your S/O is an attention whore!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”