Work full time, save $$ or work part time and network

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Work full time, save $$ or work part time and network

Postby Young Marino » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:52 am

I kind of already have an idea of what I'm going to do but I just wanted TLS take on this. I'm currently working part time making $9 an hour while interning under my local mayor and may potentially intern under the city attorney or a USAF JAG (jag is working hard to get me in) in a few months. My job offered me full time hours still at $9/hr and the money would be nice to put away for LS (I start August 2014). So I'm deciding between continuing my involvement with my city government which could get me good recommendations and possibility future job opportunities especially if I do the USAF internship or just working full time and putting away a l few thousand dollars before law school maybe $7k to $10k. I can still probably put away some $ working part time but I'm looking at maybe $2k due to my other expenses (luckily I moved back in with my parents). So what does TLS say?

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7310
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Work full time, save $$ or work part time and network

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:00 am

Take the money.

BlueBerryBus
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: Work full time, save $$ or work part time and network

Postby BlueBerryBus » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:04 am

Take the networking opportunities while you have them and work around that.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Work full time, save $$ or work part time and network

Postby paglababa » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:10 am

ALeal90 wrote:I kind of already have an idea of what I'm going to do but I just wanted TLS take on this. I'm currently working part time making $9 an hour while interning under my local mayor and may potentially intern under the city attorney or a USAF JAG (jag is working hard to get me in) in a few months. My job offered me full time hours still at $9/hr and the money would be nice to put away for LS (I start August 2014). So I'm deciding between continuing my involvement with my city government which could get me good recommendations and possibility future job opportunities especially if I do the USAF internship or just working full time and putting away a l few thousand dollars before law school maybe $7k to $10k. I can still probably put away some $ working part time but I'm looking at maybe $2k due to my other expenses (luckily I moved back in with my parents). So what does TLS say?


LOL @ $9/hr. I don't think I've been paid that since I was like in highschool. How much are you possibly going to be able to "save up" working full time at that rate. I'd do the networking/internships/ect unless you NEED the money to pay for current living. When are you starting law school? If it is Fall 2013, then ok whatever. But really, I'd be looking for a better job if you've got a whole year to go or more.

edit: saw that you start in 2014. Don't take the full time job unless its temporary while you secure something better.
Last edited by paglababa on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: Work full time, save $$ or work part time and network

Postby Young Marino » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:12 am

BlueBerryBus wrote:Take the networking opportunities while you have them and work around that.

Thats kind of what I'm leaning towards. It's looking like I'll have to take out $20k in stafford loans my first year in LS and that's without parental contribution, savings and a potential negotiation in additional scholly dollars. A lot can change in the second and third years that can lower the loan amount significantly so I'm just focusing on 1L cost for now.

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: Work full time, save $$ or work part time and network

Postby Young Marino » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:16 am

paglababa wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:I kind of already have an idea of what I'm going to do but I just wanted TLS take on this. I'm currently working part time making $9 an hour while interning under my local mayor and may potentially intern under the city attorney or a USAF JAG (jag is working hard to get me in) in a few months. My job offered me full time hours still at $9/hr and the money would be nice to put away for LS (I start August 2014). So I'm deciding between continuing my involvement with my city government which could get me good recommendations and possibility future job opportunities especially if I do the USAF internship or just working full time and putting away a l few thousand dollars before law school maybe $7k to $10k. I can still probably put away some $ working part time but I'm looking at maybe $2k due to my other expenses (luckily I moved back in with my parents). So what does TLS say?


LOL @ $9/hr. I don't think I've been paid that since I was like in highschool. How much are you possibly going to be able to "save up" working full time at that rate. I'd do the networking/internships/ect unless you NEED the money to pay for current living. When are you starting law school? If it is Fall 2013, then ok whatever. But really, I'd be looking for a better job if you've got a whole year to go or more.

edit: saw that you start in 2014. Don't take the full time job unless its temporary while you secure something better.

Welcome to the world of a liberal arts grad hahaha

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Work full time, save $$ or work part time and network

Postby paglababa » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:27 am

ALeal90 wrote:
paglababa wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:I kind of already have an idea of what I'm going to do but I just wanted TLS take on this. I'm currently working part time making $9 an hour while interning under my local mayor and may potentially intern under the city attorney or a USAF JAG (jag is working hard to get me in) in a few months. My job offered me full time hours still at $9/hr and the money would be nice to put away for LS (I start August 2014). So I'm deciding between continuing my involvement with my city government which could get me good recommendations and possibility future job opportunities especially if I do the USAF internship or just working full time and putting away a l few thousand dollars before law school maybe $7k to $10k. I can still probably put away some $ working part time but I'm looking at maybe $2k due to my other expenses (luckily I moved back in with my parents). So what does TLS say?


LOL @ $9/hr. I don't think I've been paid that since I was like in highschool. How much are you possibly going to be able to "save up" working full time at that rate. I'd do the networking/internships/ect unless you NEED the money to pay for current living. When are you starting law school? If it is Fall 2013, then ok whatever. But really, I'd be looking for a better job if you've got a whole year to go or more.

edit: saw that you start in 2014. Don't take the full time job unless its temporary while you secure something better.

Welcome to the world of a liberal arts grad hahaha


Precisely why I'd tell college students to study something that provides in-demand skills, incase law doesn't pan out. But anyway, too late for OP to be helped on that front. OP, did you already get accepted to law school and defered? Or are you planning on applying this cycle. Perhaps do something that can boost your softs in that case, or your Resume for future OCI (doubt you can do any work that would help with the latter), even if unapid?
Last edited by paglababa on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7310
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Work full time, save $$ or work part time and network

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:28 am

paglababa wrote:LOL @ $9/hr. I don't think I've been paid that since I was like in highschool.

What a dick. It's a rough market out there d00d.

OP: take the money and scout for a job that will pay you more money. Networking is not important enough pre-LS that it's worth giving up $10k of income.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Work full time, save $$ or work part time and network

Postby paglababa » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:33 am

Danger Zone wrote:
paglababa wrote:LOL @ $9/hr. I don't think I've been paid that since I was like in highschool.

What a dick. It's a rough market out there d00d.

OP: take the money and scout for a job that will pay you more money. Networking is not important enough pre-LS that it's worth giving up $10k of income.


I did provide some helpful advice to cancel out being a dick.

OP: Find some kind of job that gives you real responsibilities and good stuff for your resume even if its lower. I took a $12/hr shit job for 6 months but it led to a full time position at a different place due to the new job skills accquired. This could mean the internship you're talking about. But I wouldn't do it if they make you do shit stuff like photo copy ect.

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: Work full time, save $$ or work part time and network

Postby Young Marino » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:42 am

paglababa wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
paglababa wrote:LOL @ $9/hr. I don't think I've been paid that since I was like in highschool.

What a dick. It's a rough market out there d00d.

OP: take the money and scout for a job that will pay you more money. Networking is not important enough pre-LS that it's worth giving up $10k of income.


I did provide some helpful advice to cancel out being a dick.

OP: Find some kind of job that gives you real responsibilities and good stuff for your resume even if its lower. I took a $12/hr shit job for 6 months but it led to a full time position at a different place due to the new job skills accquired. This could mean the internship you're talking about. But I wouldn't do it if they make you do shit stuff like photo copy ect.

It's not like doing bitch work. It's actually a really cool experience in that I get a first hand look at how policy is formulated, real issues facing the community are handled, etc.. but it is unpaid and even though it is, I think that's better to have on the resume than a bs full time job that doesn't require a college degree. But again, money is money and it's tough to give up even $10k to towards LS.. I do think however that my time would be better served doing this internship even though it's just another soft

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7310
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Work full time, save $$ or work part time and network

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:54 am

ALeal90 wrote:I think that's better to have on the resume than a bs full time job that doesn't require a college degree.

Unlikely to have any impact on law school admissions or obtaining gainful legal employment. Neither job is remarkable enough to make giving up the money worth it.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22848
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Work full time, save $$ or work part time and network

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:57 am

ALeal90 wrote:
BlueBerryBus wrote:Take the networking opportunities while you have them and work around that.

Thats kind of what I'm leaning towards. It's looking like I'll have to take out $20k in stafford loans my first year in LS and that's without parental contribution, savings and a potential negotiation in additional scholly dollars. A lot can change in the second and third years that can lower the loan amount significantly so I'm just focusing on 1L cost for now.

Such as?

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Work full time, save $$ or work part time and network

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:06 am

Danger Zone wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:I think that's better to have on the resume than a bs full time job that doesn't require a college degree.

Unlikely to have any impact on law school admissions or obtaining gainful legal employment. Neither job is remarkable enough to make giving up the money worth it.


This.

Unless you can find a job paying more, I'd just stay there fulltime and save up to minimize loans. Maybe retake a few times to minimize loans as well given your start date :)

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: Work full time, save $$ or work part time and network

Postby Young Marino » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:12 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:
BlueBerryBus wrote:Take the networking opportunities while you have them and work around that.

Thats kind of what I'm leaning towards. It's looking like I'll have to take out $20k in stafford loans my first year in LS and that's without parental contribution, savings and a potential negotiation in additional scholly dollars. A lot can change in the second and third years that can lower the loan amount significantly so I'm just focusing on 1L cost for now.

Such as?

Living with my significant other who would take care of living expenses which is what I'm mostly paying for

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22848
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Work full time, save $$ or work part time and network

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:54 pm

ALeal90 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:
BlueBerryBus wrote:Take the networking opportunities while you have them and work around that.

Thats kind of what I'm leaning towards. It's looking like I'll have to take out $20k in stafford loans my first year in LS and that's without parental contribution, savings and a potential negotiation in additional scholly dollars. A lot can change in the second and third years that can lower the loan amount significantly so I'm just focusing on 1L cost for now.

Such as?

Living with my significant other who would take care of living expenses which is what I'm mostly paying for

Ah, gotcha. I was just worried there was some other calculus going on (I'll get more scholarships after 1L! or the like).

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: Work full time, save $$ or work part time and network

Postby Young Marino » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:45 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:Thats kind of what I'm leaning towards. It's looking like I'll have to take out $20k in stafford loans my first year in LS and that's without parental contribution, savings and a potential negotiation in additional scholly dollars. A lot can change in the second and third years that can lower the loan amount significantly so I'm just focusing on 1L cost for now.

Such as?

Living with my significant other who would take care of living expenses which is what I'm mostly paying for

Ah, gotcha. I was just worried there was some other calculus going on (I'll get more scholarships after 1L! or the like).

Lol I mean that'd be great but I think having her take care of mostly everything will be good enough. Taking out $5k to $7k in Stafford loans the last two years would be lovely especially if the interest rate goes back down to 3.4% bit for now that's just a possibility

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: Work full time, save $$ or work part time and network

Postby Young Marino » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Unlikely to have any impact on law school admissions or obtaining gainful legal employment. Neither job is remarkable enough to make giving up the money worth it.

The more think about it the more I realize the real reason why I took this year off. I made this decision to relax and enjoy time off from school. I think I might just keep the hours at part time and leave it at that. I'll still be able to save some money but I think having space in my day to enjoy the beach, playing basketball, taking a few road trips and taking fantasy football seriously this year will be great. Especially since it's the last days I really can




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nylon and 9 guests