California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cadestevenson

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby cadestevenson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:42 am

Would any of you guys like to share your scores on MBE practice tests? I'd love to find out how I stack up. Thanks.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:43 am

Reinhardt wrote:And if these questions are experimental, we probably shouldn't be talking about them??? Don't want to be a stick in the mud but don't want anyone to get in trouble.

i dont think we should be discussing this, exp or not...

chocolateicecream

Postby chocolateicecream » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:44 am

Is anyone else's testing center unbearably cold? Sacramento AC is cranked so high, I feel like I'm in a freezer.

lawdawg09

Postby lawdawg09 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:44 am

I def got a Civ Pro PJx experimental question.

I thought it may have to do with Full Faith & Credit... It is bad when you don't even know what subject they are testing.

I got a 140 on the barbri practice test. I do not think I got a 140 today. :(

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:45 am

lawdawg09 wrote:I def got a Civ Pro PJx experimental question.

I thought it may have to do with Full Faith & Credit... It is bad when you don't even know what subject they are testing.

Was that the Q about the dude who went forum shopping? I got that too. was that exp? I hope not...

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:45 am

thrillerjesus wrote:
Emma. wrote:Was the guy dying in hospital a dying declaration, or was that too simple?

What about the state taxing easements? All I could remember was the barbri lecturer saying "it is unconstitutional to pay a state tax out of the federal treasury"

I thought no because his second statement was "i'm gonna get him for this" or something, so i took that to mean that he didn't believe he was dying.

Yeah that was smart. I wasn't thrilled about my answer, it felt like a trap at the time. But it is what I went with. :|

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:45 am

Fresh Prince wrote:

Was that the Q about the dude who went forum shopping? I got that too. was that exp? I hope not...

It was conlaw full faith and credit.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:46 am

Emma. wrote:
thrillerjesus wrote:
Emma. wrote:Was the guy dying in hospital a dying declaration, or was that too simple?

What about the state taxing easements? All I could remember was the barbri lecturer saying "it is unconstitutional to pay a state tax out of the federal treasury"

I thought no because his second statement was "i'm gonna get him for this" or something, so i took that to mean that he didn't believe he was dying.

Yeah that was smart. I wasn't thrilled about my answer, it felt like a trap at the time. But it is what I went with. :|

thrillerjesus

Postby thrillerjesus » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:46 am

Last edited by thrillerjesus on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:47 am

funkyturds wrote:

I think him saying "I'm going to get you back" or whatever = no belief of imminent death. Same thing led me to say it wasn't a physical condition exception either--he didn't say this for the purposes of diagnosis or treatment

The state tax was something about federal conservation easements and then the state imposed a tax to record all easements and the feds refused to pay. Maybe it was experimental?

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:47 am

Emma. wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:

It was conlaw full faith and credit.

awww yisss.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:47 am

Emma. wrote:
funkyturds wrote:

I think him saying "I'm going to get you back" or whatever = no belief of imminent death. Same thing led me to say it wasn't a physical condition exception either--he didn't say this for the purposes of diagnosis or treatment

The state tax was something about federal conservation easements and then the state imposed a tax to record all easements and the feds refused to pay. Maybe it was experimental?

i had that too.

deadlinguo

Postby deadlinguo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:47 am

Yeah, it did feel like a trap.

Q: Person gets shot. On his death bed, he declares that "I'm dying! Defendant shot me!"

How can dying declaration be the answer, it's too fuckin obvious. Or maybe that's what they want you to think.

chass

Postby chass » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:48 am

Anyone have a q about a waiver of right to confront witness and waiver of hearsay for killing the victim? think they tried to introduce victims prior statements.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:49 am

deadlinguo wrote:Yeah, it did feel like a trap.

Q: Person gets shot. On his death bed, he declares that "I'm dying! Defendant shot me!"

How can dying declaration be the answer, it's too fuckin obvious. Or maybe that's what they want you to think.

Yeah, but it is a DD in that circumstance. The inclusion of "I'm gonna get him," is what made it not.

cadestevenson

Postby cadestevenson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:49 am

Are any of you guys a little disappointed with the process of this bar exam?

I mean, the tables look really old, and I feel that splinters should be shooting up my arm. I am kind of afraid of splinters, aren't you?

Without revealing my prejudices, let's just say the proctors didn't look too professional to me.

Also, shouldn't there have been somebody from Calbar, or a lawyer, or professor, somebody, to give us a little introductory pep talk or something? I mean, couldn't the bar have done something to make us feel less like sheep in a bureaucratic system, and more like people, or, god forbid, members of the legal community? And, to at least help us feel better about all of the hard work we put into the process?

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:49 am

cadestevenson wrote:Would any of you guys like to share your scores on MBE practice tests? I'd love to find out how I stack up. Thanks.

Barbri simulated: 135 raw
Barbri sfe: 80something% raw
Ncbe past exam: 169 scaled

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:49 am

Between this and autoadmit, I'm pretty sure there are 100 Qs. You could probably self-score if you felt so inclined.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:50 am

chass wrote:Anyone have a q about a waiver of right to confront witness and waiver of hearsay for killing the victim? think they tried to introduce victims prior statements.

Yes. Have to kill them with the intent to make them unavailable to bring it in. Don't remember the Q though. Might have been non hearsay

Mango9

Postby Mango9 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:50 am

CRAPPP... a lot of these questions (not all!) I took the bait... :x

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:50 am

cadestevenson wrote:did you guys discuss 198 (or so) yet? Kind of mad that I didn't pay attention to all of the supreme court opinions in which Scalia chastised the states for misapplying the Strickland standards.

GD Barbri, is it too much to ask that you include the complete rule statement in the CMR? Are two words too much to ask for?

Good lesson. Don't change your MBE answers. I changed that one from right to wrong. Aren't IAC motions the bane of defense attorneys everywhere? The correct standard appears way too low to me.

my notes say reasonableness, not C&C

the 25% finger thing... i thought that was a question about professional duty. my notes say docs need to disclose that, or they fail to meet their standard of care. am i analyzing the wrong thing?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:51 am

chass wrote:Anyone have a q about a waiver of right to confront witness and waiver of hearsay for killing the victim? think they tried to introduce victims prior statements.

Oh yeah, I'm trying to block that one out. Purely getting, I said it was not a waiver of either because no proof that the intent to kill was to prevent testimony.

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:51 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
deadlinguo wrote:Yeah, it did feel like a trap.

Yeah, but it is a DD in that circumstance. The inclusion of "I'm gonna get him," is what made it not.

is "Defendant shot me" a stmt describing the circumstances of death, though? and the question didn't say whether he felt he was on the brink of death. he sounded fine and dandy to me on his bed, at least until he croaked.

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:52 am

yeah i said waived both, like 99% sure that's wrong though

lawdawg09

Postby lawdawg09 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:53 am

a male human wrote:
cadestevenson wrote:
the 25% finger thing... i thought that was a question about professional duty. my notes say docs need to disclose that, or they fail to meet their standard of care. am i analyzing the wrong thing?

There may have been a breach but I do not think there was causation.

I don't think you can consent to negligence?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”