California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
DwightSchruteFarms

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:21 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:Are you guys memorizing all the date deadlines forgot civ pro? ie., D has X days to file an answer to an amended pleading?

Efffffffff no. CivPro is the least likely to be tested on this July's exam. Also, CA CivPro has never been tested. I'd just run through the SMJ and PJ crap, understand a few tidbits from Venue and Removal and lock in a dece understanding of Coll.Estoppel and Res Judicata

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:28 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
Foosters Galore wrote:Are you guys memorizing all the date deadlines forgot civ pro? ie., D has X days to file an answer to an amended pleading?

Efffffffff no. CivPro is the least likely to be tested on this July's exam. Also, CA CivPro has never been tested. I'd just run through the SMJ and PJ crap, understand a few tidbits from Venue and Removal and lock in a dece understanding of Coll.Estoppel and Res Judicata

Great. This assuages the guilt from quitting early last night to play two hours of FIFA.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:30 pm

Foosters Galore wrote: Great. This assuages the guilt from quitting early last night to play two hours of FIFA.

As long as you played with either Liverpool or Napoli (pre-Cavani trade), you shouldn't feel guilty at all.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:43 pm

Just the amended pleadings (120 days, right?) because I haven't seen anything else being tested at least that I could find.

Moreover, there was the 2011 amendments that shifted all deadlines to multiples of 7 or something. So I doubt they would test anything like that. But you can throw in a line about deadlines if you're trying to grab an extra holistic point.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:15 pm

What is everyone's take on what the essays will be? Since I have the MBE subjects down pat I'm not really concerned about which are tested for the essays. But what about state subjects? I'm just planning to review the business association and remedies outlines, and ignore agency and partnerships altogether. Just practicing and trying to get community property, W&T, PR, and some key civ pro sections nailed down for the final week.

J/w what others thought of the strategy.

calibred

Postby calibred » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:02 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:What is everyone's take on what the essays will be? Since I have the MBE subjects down pat I'm not really concerned about which are tested for the essays. But what about state subjects? I'm just planning to review the business association and remedies outlines, and ignore agency and partnerships altogether. Just practicing and trying to get community property, W&T, PR, and some key civ pro sections nailed down for the final week.

J/w what others thought of the strategy.

I just went through business law yesterday -- just my opinion, but after looking at the model answer for the Feb 2013 corporations question (http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/4/documents/gbx/February-2013-CBX%20Selected%20Answers%20Essays.pdf) it looks like it'll be valuable to run through a quick partnerships analysis when formation of the corporation is questionable. With Themis' condensed outlines it didn't take long at all to run through a quick overview for agency & partnerships.

I definitely think it'll be helpful to have PR nailed down. Kinda hoping they don't test on wills&trusts.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:14 pm

I think W&T will come up in some form. Corporations, agency and partnership were tested last Feb, so it's less likely to come up again.

PR is def something to study for since it comes up all the time. Maybe it will be a crossover in a corporations setting.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:24 pm

a male human wrote:I think W&T will come up in some form. Corporations, agency and partnership were tested last Feb, so it's less likely to come up again.

PR is def something to study for since it comes up all the time. Maybe it will be a crossover in a corporations setting.

I think we discussed this in the earlier pages of the thread. I def think WT and ConLaw are a lock with PR and Remedies. Other two: I'm guessing Evidence and Contracts

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:27 pm

What about civ pro? Or CA civ pro? :shock:

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:36 pm

a male human wrote:What about civ pro? Or CA civ pro? :shock:

CA CivPro has never been tested.

CivPro is unlikely given that it was tested twice in the past two years.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:41 pm

Feels like I'm holding a hot potato (or something) (because I never know when it's going to blow).

spaacecdt

Postby spaacecdt » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:03 pm

a male human wrote:

Feels like I'm holding a hot potato (or something) (because I never know when it's going to blow).

Yah. Didn't help that the Barbri lecturer repeated (seemingly a million times)-- "They put it on the list in 2007(?), and they've never tested it. It's due. I don't know why they haven't tested it. It's time."

Sigh.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:27 pm

I'm thinking it's probably gonna come up in 2015 when the MBE includes civ pro.

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:17 pm

I think we discussed this in the earlier pages of the thread. I def think WT and ConLaw are a lock with PR and Remedies. Other two: I'm guessing Evidence and Contracts

you really think so? conlaw for sure? :cry:

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:25 pm

courtneylove wrote:

you really think so? conlaw for sure? :cry:

The did not test it in the last two exams and before those, it was tested pretty frequently. In fact, its never been skipped over three times in a row (at least to my knowledge). I'd def bet on a ConLaw

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:33 pm

a male human wrote:I think W&T will come up in some form. Corporations, agency and partnership were tested last Feb, so it's less likely to come up again.

I think Barbri said that PR is MANDATORY in some form on every CA bar administration (though it could be covered via the performance tests).

Another

Postby Another » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:18 pm

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:33 pm

How is PR tested in the PT? Lots of substantive knowledge required or very ancillary?

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:36 pm

Don't think you need any knowledge of Prof. Resp. to do the Perf. Test (too much alphabet soup). If they give you a professional rule, or a case mentions ethical issues, then you know to key into that, but you can only apply the law they give you.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:39 pm

Reinhardt wrote:Don't think you need any knowledge of Prof. Resp. to do the Perf. Test (too much alphabet soup). If they give you a professional rule, or a case mentions ethical issues, then you know to key into that, but you can only apply the law they give you.

Exactly. PT is closed universe. Only a gunner brings in the outside knowledge. Otherwise a waste of valuable time.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:42 pm

I'm also willing to bet $$$ con law, community property and w&t will be tested. There will be 2 or 3 mbe subjects tested on top, and if 2 I'm betting PR is the last Ca subject.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:14 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:I'm also willing to bet $$$ con law, community property and w&t will be tested. There will be 2 or 3 mbe subjects tested on top, and if 2 I'm betting PR is the last Ca subject.

How can you be so sure?

Sometimes I wonder if some people actually have advance knowledge through connections with the Bar...

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:36 am

a male human wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:I'm also willing to bet $$$ con law, community property and w&t will be tested. There will be 2 or 3 mbe subjects tested on top, and if 2 I'm betting PR is the last Ca subject.

How can you be so sure?

Sometimes I wonder if some people actually have advance knowledge through connections with the Bar...

Because my frequency chart tells me that CP and W&T are among the most frequently tested non-MBE subjects, and neither were on the last bar exam. Well, that's pretty much my only basis.

I sincerely hope that there are 4 "MBE" essay subjects. Just more cushion for more points instead of deer-in-front-of-headlights.

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:52 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
a male human wrote:

How can you be so sure?

Because my frequency chart tells me that CP and W&T are among the most frequently tested non-MBE subjects, and neither were on the last bar exam. Well, that's pretty much my only basis.

I sincerely hope that there are 4 "MBE" essay subjects. Just more cushion for more points instead of deer-in-front-of-headlights.

How often do we get more than 3 MBE essays? Not many from what I can recall.

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:12 am

I'm in a huge dilemma...I've only done 120-150 MBE questions per MBE subject and i've only outlined 2-3 PT's and read through another 2 PT's. I have done extensive black letter law review on the MBE subjects(but I have barely fully written out any MBE essays...i've only done maybe 6-8 practice essays total and JUST read informally through about 30 MBE essays to get an idea on format)

The real catch:I've done absolutely NOTHING for the non-mbe CA subjects except watch the lectures. I have done absolutely no practice essays. For the remaining days left I plan to do the following:

1. 200 MBE questions as a final review and to get an idea of how I'll do on the actual test
2. simulate 1 PT fully and outline 2 more PT's
3. What non mbe CA subjects should I focus on in the last 4 days(plan to study thurs,fri,sat,sun, mon)...I really didnt wanna study substantive law on sunday/monday, but im screwed and need to get exposed to as many non mbe subjects as possible. Which subjects should I review and how should I review them with the barbri materials in the fastest and most efficient way possible.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”