California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby Emma. » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:54 am

Mick Haller wrote:Just saw a cargo truck unloading what appeared to be boxes of your exams. At the Oakland convention center. Hope they have enough power outlets this year


Go steal one for us?

User avatar
Reinhardt
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 2:27 am

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby Reinhardt » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:59 am

Emma. wrote:
Mick Haller wrote:Just saw a cargo truck unloading what appeared to be boxes of your exams. At the Oakland convention center. Hope they have enough power outlets this year


Go steal one for us?


"Wouldn't that be nice," said Reinhardt. Mick Haller then hired a professional thief to steal a box of the exams. Thanks to this, Reinhardt passed the exam, when he otherwise would have failed. Which of the following, listed in descending order, is the most serious crime Reinhardt can convicted of?

A. Larceny
B. Conspiracy
C. Solicitation
D. No Crime

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby Emma. » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:04 pm

Reinhardt wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Mick Haller wrote:Just saw a cargo truck unloading what appeared to be boxes of your exams. At the Oakland convention center. Hope they have enough power outlets this year


Go steal one for us?


"Wouldn't that be nice," said Reinhardt. Mick Haller then hired a professional thief to steal a box of the exams. Thanks to this, Reinhardt passed the exam, when he otherwise would have failed. Which of the following, listed in descending order, is the most serious crime Reinhardt can convicted of?

A. Larceny
B. Conspiracy
C. Solicitation
D. No Crime


I think Emma is guilty of solicitation, but I don't think "wouldn't it be nice" is sufficient encouragement for accomplice liability (inexplicably not an answer choice :wink: ) so probably no crime until you actually get the stolen exam. Then you'd be guilty of receiving stolen goods?

User avatar
Reinhardt
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 2:27 am

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby Reinhardt » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:12 pm

I would likely only receive a digital copy of the stolen exam, which would not meet the requirement that I "intend to permanently deprive" unless you get into some really fancy legal reasoning.

Foosters Galore
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby Foosters Galore » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:32 pm

Man, reading some of these essays on baressays gives me mixed feelings. Some of these 60's are well-written and spot every issue. Then, I'll come across a 65 that misses a ton of stuff and is incomplete in the analysis.

User avatar
Mick Haller
Posts: 1258
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby Mick Haller » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:06 pm

Security seemed pretty tight. There were two guys moving the pallet, another guy keeping watch. Boxes were very tightly shrink wrapped.

You'd be a dummy to try to pull off a heist of the bar exam. That would result in a permaban with serious real world consequences.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby a male human » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:14 pm

What if the 3 guys were in a conspiracy?

User avatar
softey
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby softey » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:17 pm

good luck everyone

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:21 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:Man, reading some of these essays on baressays gives me mixed feelings. Some of these 60's are well-written and spot every issue. Then, I'll come across a 65 that misses a ton of stuff and is incomplete in the analysis.


I really think that with the amount of essays and the amount of time to review them in, a "good" structure will get you more points than a well-written and thorough answer. By "good," I mean something that'll stand out to the weary eyes of a bar grader. Sign post everything, bold every issue, bold every conclusion, don't do big paragraphs, etc.

I would honestly devote 50 minutes to writing and 10 minutes to formatting everything so it's easy for the bar reviewer to read. There should be no creativity. Just straight up IRAC and bold the "issue name" (i.e., part performance of a land sale) and bold the conclusion. Put any preliminary analysis at the top (i.e., in community property what the basic presumptions are) and label it as such.

User avatar
Mroberts3
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby Mroberts3 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:34 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Foosters Galore wrote:Man, reading some of these essays on baressays gives me mixed feelings. Some of these 60's are well-written and spot every issue. Then, I'll come across a 65 that misses a ton of stuff and is incomplete in the analysis.


I really think that with the amount of essays and the amount of time to review them in, a "good" structure will get you more points than a well-written and thorough answer. By "good," I mean something that'll stand out to the weary eyes of a bar grader. Sign post everything, bold every issue, bold every conclusion, don't do big paragraphs, etc.

I would honestly devote 50 minutes to writing and 10 minutes to formatting everything so it's easy for the bar reviewer to read. There should be no creativity. Just straight up IRAC and bold the "issue name" (i.e., part performance of a land sale) and bold the conclusion. Put any preliminary analysis at the top (i.e., in community property what the basic presumptions are) and label it as such.


I generally agree with both of these comments. My goal is to avoid 55s by making sure my essay is easy to read format-wise, ignores irrelevant topics, and isn't too conclusory. So many of the 55s on baressays have irrelevant stuff or insufficient analysis. Whether you get a 60 or 65 seems to be some amount of luck. As long as you get thru 5 minutes without annoying the grader, you will probably get a 60, which is enough to pass with good MBE and PTs.

Most essays have like 3-5 main issues. So my plan is to have good headings, short and simple rule statements, argue both sides for any disputed element and then conclude. It seems like good irAc will keep you away from the danger zone. Perfection is the enemy of the good here.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:42 pm

Dumb Q: Difference between per sterpes and per capita distribution?

User avatar
softey
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby softey » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:48 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:Dumb Q: Difference between per sterpes and per capita distribution?

per stirpes distributes at first level

per capita distributes at first level someone is living

User avatar
Reinhardt
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 2:27 am

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby Reinhardt » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:49 pm

I haven't seen a wills question where the difference has even mattered. Then again, I haven't done that many practice essays.

Per Capita with Representation (default rule in California when not specified and for intestate succession):
Find the nearest generation of issue with a living person. At that generation, distribute one share to each living person, and one share to each dead person who has living issue (and these living issue of that specific dead person share it equally among themselves)

Per Stirpes:
Find living issue. Give one share to their ancestor nearest the testator (some dead child of the testator).

Per Capita at Each Generation:
Do the procedure for PCwR, but then make sure everyone in the same generation takes the same amount by putting all of that generation's inheritance into a pool and then dividing it equally among them.

AND softey's explanation is much better than mine.

Am I even correct? Do dead people with no living issue ever take? No, right?

User avatar
softey
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby softey » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:52 pm

Reinhardt wrote:I haven't seen a wills question where the difference has even mattered. Then again, I haven't done that many practice essays.

Per Capita with Representation (default rule in California when not specified and for intestate succession):
Find the nearest generation of issue with a living person. At that generation, distribute one share to each living person, and one share to each dead person who has living issue (and these living issue of that specific dead person share it equally among themselves)

Per Stirpes:
Find living issue. Give one share to their nearest ancestor (some dead child of the testator).

Per Capita at Each Generation:
Do the procedure for PCwR, but then make sure everyone in the same generation takes the same amount by putting all of that generation's inheritance into a pool and then dividing it equally among them.

AND softey's explanation is much better than mine.

Am I even correct? Do dead people with no living issue ever take? No, right?


Yeah, as you said, one cannot ignore representation. Issue of predeceased at level of distribution take in equal parts (edit: unless anti-lapse doesn't apply for some reason). Haven't seen any practice Qs more complicated than this.
Last edited by softey on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby Emma. » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:53 pm

Fuuuuck. Maybe not taking the test tomorrow. Flights canceled. Too far to drive in the next 18 hours.

User avatar
Reinhardt
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 2:27 am

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby Reinhardt » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:54 pm

Emma. wrote:Fuuuuck. Maybe not taking the test tomorrow. Flights canceled. Too far to drive in the next 18 hours.


Damn. Priceline to get a non-horribly priced last minute flight? Or even horribly priced it might be better than our nonrefundable bar exam fees.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby Emma. » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:59 pm

Reinhardt wrote:
Emma. wrote:Fuuuuck. Maybe not taking the test tomorrow. Flights canceled. Too far to drive in the next 18 hours.


Damn. Priceline to get a non-horribly priced last minute flight? Or even horribly priced it might be better than our nonrefundable bar exam fees.


$$ is no object. No flights to buy seats on.

User avatar
Reinhardt
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 2:27 am

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby Reinhardt » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 pm

I doubt that I'm very helpful but even so, I'd call the office of admissions and see what they say. For instance if you're supposed to take it in Santa Clara but there's a flight to LA, maybe they could accommodate. Alternatively, could fly somewhere there is a flight and then drive the rest of the way.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:15 pm

Thanks guys. Also, what damages are doctors liable for in malpractice?

User avatar
softey
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby softey » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:32 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:Thanks guys. Also, what damages are doctors liable for in malpractice?

Is this just general compensatory damages for negligence? Those that are certain/non-speculative (relaxed for non-economic losses), caused by D's conduct, foreseeable at time of breach, unavoidable by P. And punitive if gross conduct?

Or is there a "special" rule?

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:59 pm

Remember seeing Q about doctor malpractice causing child birth. Q asked if doctor is liable for lifetime child expenses.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:02 pm

Emma. wrote:
Reinhardt wrote:
Emma. wrote:Fuuuuck. Maybe not taking the test tomorrow. Flights canceled. Too far to drive in the next 18 hours.


Damn. Priceline to get a non-horribly priced last minute flight? Or even horribly priced it might be better than our nonrefundable bar exam fees.


$$ is no object. No flights to buy seats on.


Fly into SF or Oakland and take the Caltrain down.

ben bernanke
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:01 am

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby ben bernanke » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:08 pm

Just to clarify....

Evidence Essays are FRE, unless the question specifically states: "Answer according to California law"

Correct me if I'm wrong...

DwightSchruteFarms
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:19 am

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:52 pm

^^ That is correct.

Also, worst morning before the exam ever. Opened up my laptop at 8AM to check email. Heard some crazy ads going on. Ctrl+Alt+Del and serached for any tasks that were weird...couldnt find any. Ran three checks for malware, spyware, and other crap...couldnt find anything and the ads were sitll playing in the background. Ran to computer repair and some blessed soul was there. Sat me down, ran a few more tests, did some quick searches and fixed the problem with a system restore.

Also, make sure you are all there before 820 (at least in Santa Clara). Need to get there before if you want to use your laptop or else you will be forced to harndwrite. Had that happen to an amigo last year...he still passed.


Good luck everyone! See you on the other side.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby existenz » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:02 pm

Emma. wrote:
Reinhardt wrote:
Emma. wrote:Fuuuuck. Maybe not taking the test tomorrow. Flights canceled. Too far to drive in the next 18 hours.


Damn. Priceline to get a non-horribly priced last minute flight? Or even horribly priced it might be better than our nonrefundable bar exam fees.


$$ is no object. No flights to buy seats on.

Where are you trying to get from/to? Good luck dude, that sucks.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests