California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Reinhardt

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Postby Reinhardt » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:46 am

After a night at the bars shortly after the test, I had what felt like an 8 hour long dream where I was writing an essay on the law of interpreting drunk people's statements. I guess it was kind of like wills, or evidence, and I had to apply all these different tests. Combined with hangover queasiness it was really awful. When I woke up I had trouble believing that the test had actually been finished for a couple days.

cadestevenson

Postby cadestevenson » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:45 am

Did you check out this site on the Idaho Bar website? It gives a fairly detailed account of how its essays and PTs are graded. Sure, its not California, but it looks like the process is lifted from the California process, or they were both borrowed from a third, whatever.

http://isb.idaho.gov/pdf/admissions/gra ... ndards.pdf

What do you think?

Could explain why its hard to get a score outside the range of, say 50-70 on an essay/PT.
Last edited by cadestevenson on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:55 am

Link?

masterbrowski

Postby masterbrowski » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:53 pm

I don't know about that Iowa scale. It seems like they are saying 70-75 is an average or slightly above average answer, while 60-65 is clearly insufficient. In CA, it seems like 60-65 is the average or slightly above it, while 70-75 is saved for answers that are well above average.

CaBarHopeful

Postby CaBarHopeful » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:53 pm

Figured this group might know the answer to my question.

I took the MPRE today. Afterward, someone told me the CA Bar requires you take the MPRE after you register with the Bar ("Applicants may take the MPRE anytime after completing their first year of law school and after registering with the Committee of Bar Examiners").

I didn't register before taking the MPRE. Is this going to be a problem?

Great start to it all!

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:09 pm

CaBarHopeful wrote:Figured this group might know the answer to my question.

I took the MPRE today. Afterward, someone told me the CA Bar requires you take the MPRE after you register with the Bar ("Applicants may take the MPRE anytime after completing their first year of law school and after registering with the Committee of Bar Examiners").

Great start to it all!

Don't quote me, but yes, I have heard that, too... by registering, I mean not registering to sit for the bar exam, but the basic sign up with the California bar that costs some money.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:01 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:

Great start to it all!

Don't quote me, but yes, I have heard that, too... by registering, I mean not registering to sit for the bar exam, but the basic sign up with the California bar that costs some money.

Wow I don't know why I didn't think to check that before taking MPRE... Does anyone know what to do if I took the MPRE before registering with the CA bar?

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:13 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
LSATNightmares wrote:

Great start to it all!

Wow I don't know why I didn't think to check that before taking MPRE... Does anyone know what to do if I took the MPRE before registering with the CA bar?

I'm not sure... deleted what I wrote earlier since I'm not sure. :-)
Last edited by LSATNightmares on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaBarHopeful

Postby CaBarHopeful » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:06 pm

That seems ridiculous. What if someone got a job in CA after taking the MPRE? They'd be forced to retake? Seems silly. Anyone else know anything more?

nataliejane38

Postby nataliejane38 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:31 pm

From the Cal Bar MPRE website:

"Applicants may take the MPRE anytime after completing their first year of law school and after registering with the Committee of Bar Examiners (Committee), which must be done online through the Admissions’ portion of The State Bar of California’s website at admissions/calbar.ca.gov."

You should call them and see what to do if you haven't registered. They really should make that clearer in the instructions, thank goodness I just registered about a week ago in order to get certified, or else I would be in the same boat.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:41 pm

nataliejane38 wrote:From the Cal Bar MPRE website:

"Applicants may take the MPRE anytime after completing their first year of law school and after registering with the Committee of Bar Examiners (Committee), which must be done online through the Admissions’ portion of The State Bar of California’s website at admissions/calbar.ca.gov."

You should call them and see what to do if you haven't registered. They really should make that clearer in the instructions, thank goodness I just registered about a week ago in order to get certified, or else I would be in the same boat.

Now I'm starting to get nervous thinking I didn't register for the right thing. I did some pre-registration thing for California way back my 1L year (like where you had to register within 90 days of starting law school to get some financial deal). I thought that was enough for the MPRE, but now when I looking at the California bar site, it seems to be referencing something else. Did I register for the right thing? I may call tomorrow to clarify, because I took the MPRE and passed last summer.

nataliejane38

Postby nataliejane38 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Yup, I did the same thing. I thought I registered in my first year, but when I was asked for my Cal Bar # to get certified I realized I never "officially" registered (meaning pay them $104). I had a login and started my C&F and everything (and thought I paid too) but was not officially registered. If they sent you a letter with your Cal Bar # on it you are registered.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:57 pm

nataliejane38 wrote:Yup, I did the same thing. I thought I registered in my first year, but when I was asked for my Cal Bar # to get certified I realized I never "officially" registered (meaning pay them $104). I had a login and started my C&F and everything (and thought I paid too) but was not officially registered. If they sent you a letter with your Cal Bar # on it you are registered.

Hmm, I thought I paid, but my printed record says something about $102, but when I go into my account now it says something about $108 which makes me worried I didn't pay. I did receive a letter, but I don't have a bar number on it (just a file number and a filing date, and a notice saying I'm officially registered with the State Bar of California's Office of Admissions). Gosh, California, why are you so confusing...

nataliejane38

Postby nataliejane38 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:10 pm

Yeah you should call them then. I think it was $108 I just had to pay to register. It is all super confusing.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:34 pm

If you guys log in to your California Bar accounts you can see your MPRE status and whether you have met the requirements.

Edit:

Here is a direct link to log in: https://sbc.calbar.ca.gov/default.aspx
Last edited by Teoeo on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:53 pm

Teoeo wrote:If you guys log in to your California Bar account you can see your MPRE status and whether you have met the requirements.

Edit:

Thanks! That was very helpful. It actually has me down as having satisfied the MPRE requirement, so I can rest easy tonight. I wouldn't have found that link without your post.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:49 am

LSATNightmares wrote:
Teoeo wrote:If you guys log in to your California Bar account you can see your MPRE status and whether you have met the requirements.

Edit:

Thanks! That was very helpful. It actually has me down as having satisfied the MPRE requirement, so I can rest easy tonight. I wouldn't have found that link without your post.

No problem :)

lawschooltoo

Postby lawschooltoo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:23 pm

So....only 10 days until results.....? How are you feeling? Have you forgotten about the exam or are you mulling over every (possible) mistake?

:shock:

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:35 pm

I am mulling all my mistakes ><

masterbrowski

Postby masterbrowski » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:28 pm

lawschooltoo wrote:So....only 10 days until results.....? How are you feeling? Have you forgotten about the exam or are you mulling over every (possible) mistake?

:shock:

I thought through every little thing in the weeks after the test. I'm still nervous about it, but I'm over trying to think about whether I got any particular issue right. I've settled on what I think/know I messed up on. I'm just hoping that it wasn't so grave as to cause me to fail :|

Postby 02122015 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:54 am

Do you guys know your exact results date? Or is it one of those states where everyone estimates a certain week based on past years?

a male human

Postby a male human » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:27 am

It's scheduled to come out next Friday 6 PM. Does CA ever release results earlier than scheduled?

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:21 am

We know. 11/22/12 @ 6pm

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:08 pm

so there's no confusion - it's next Friday, 11/22/13 at 6pm.

lawdawg09

Postby lawdawg09 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:29 pm

gymboree wrote:so there's no confusion - it's next Friday, 11/22/13 at 6pm.

If you have a really fast computer I heard you can get your results at 5:59pm

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”